Thread: Mcconnel bale packer

Mcconnel bale packer

Any1 have 1 or worked with 1. Fancy 1 for next years hay/straw instead of using the hands to lift bales but cant see 1 for sale anywhere

Re: Mcconnel bale packer

Quote Originally Posted by Davydiesel View Post
    Any1 have 1 or worked with 1. Fancy 1 for next years hay/straw instead of using the hands to lift bales but cant see 1 for sale anywhere
    Remember reading about them but before my time starting here although the farm were the proud owners of one and to tide you over here's a clip of it in action!

The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

I remember the Bale Packer very well
    F F is very lucky to have a video of one moving
    It was a good idea But IMO best of a bad job

Video was interesting I also remember unblocking the 33 Direct cut
    either the auger as in clip or first join up the spout!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Footsfitter View Post
    Remember reading about them but before my time starting here although the farm were the proud owners of one and to tide you over here's a clip of it in action!

Those videos really are good. Just goes to show how much progress there has been in an industry, and gives credit to an industry which over the years has justified government investment and support.
    jack caley

So does any1 know of 1 for sale or any sittin in dealers yards. Great video btw nice to see stuff thats now considered classic when it was new and modern

Why are you so set on the balepacker? Would a flat-eight sledge and grab not do your job?

Even if you do find one, lack of spare parts will be a problem, I'd have thought.

Just seem like good idea. Could quickly fill trailer and would it not be really hard to fill large high stable load with flat 8

Quote Originally Posted by Davydiesel View Post
    So does any1 know of 1 for sale or any sittin in dealers yards. Great video btw nice to see stuff thats now considered classic when it was new and modern
    I think way back when i first started here there were still a couple of balls of poly string for the balepacker- it was much thicker, real HD stuff. IIRC the cine film shows Ted the balerman winding up a broken string- it couldn't of helped either with those fields being up on the light chalk edge of the downlands where there are plenty of flints laying in wait.
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

It looks way too complicated to keep set up just right with everything getting worn and less than perfect bales you would be jumping off to manually correct bales every five minutes.
    Flat 8s are the way to go, with practice you can stack on trailers or use the dedicated carrier and on into a shed without touching them at all.
    We used that system for some 20 years, with only one minor disaster when cows got in a field stacked in 48s and they all had to be rebuilt
    A simple 4ft fixed round baler is what you should be going for though.
    Small bales are horribly vulnerable to rain in the field.

My student farm used one. Small tractor would not operate it with lack of hydraulic flow. It always seemed temperamental and was nursed along by a very steady older driver who would always slow down with the boss out of sight else he would be continually on and off the seat.
    They needed reasonably wide headlands.
    Parts must surely be an issue?
    The packs, whilst being a useful stacking shape, could easily fall apart if the loader bounced.
    Do you need small bale for a market?

Yeah we make quite few small bales of hay and straw for customers. Would love to have one behind the baler on the 1455 for nice classic yoke