Thread: Should we welcome people into the country ?

Newtonmore, Cairngorms National Park, Scottish Highlands

Should we welcome people into the country ?

After all Joe Public pays for all the subsidies so he should be made welcome.
    You may own the land but you do not own the access.
    DEBATE !!

Re: Should we welcome people into the country ?

within reason yes we should ,they are our customers after all but education and by that I mean the true facts not the chocolate box image should be part of the deal .the public are far too removed from what we do and need to learn more about it warts and all

I think Open Farm Sunday and such events have done a great deal of good towards public/farming PR.

I think we definitely should. People have become too divorced from how food is produced, and in turn we are too far removed from the people who are effectively our customers.

No, we should not welcome the general public into the countryside, because unfortunately the majority have no idea how to behave and have little respect or consideration for others or their property. They are, as has been said, divorced from the reality of food production and most are now several generations away from the countryside so have no understanding or awareness of farms as places of work so are consequently both a danger to themselves and us.

Quote Originally Posted by beefandsleep View Post
    No, we should not welcome the general public into the countryside, because unfortunately the majority have no idea how to behave and have little respect or consideration for others or their property. They are, as has been said, divorced from the reality of food production and most are now several generations away from the countryside so have no understanding or awareness of farms as places of work so are consequently both a danger to themselves and us.
    But if we don't educate them, as time goes on they will just force themselves and their rights onto us and the countryside. You are correct though about them being a danger to themselves. They should be proud of the countryside and those who look after and work in it to provide food as well as enjoyment.

Dave Applesquasher

I would happily give any subsidy back if I could keep the buggers out!

The sensibly behaved ones are OK, I must admit.
    Biggest problem is that I am a hermit, like it that way and don't much care for a lot of the general public.

Quote Originally Posted by beefandsleep View Post
    Harsh, but you have a point, couple of days ago we were taking sheep down a single track road and met a dog walker, although the dog was on a lead, sheep wont pass someone standing at the side of the road with a dog (not easily anyway), as a result they were forced down a bank covered in brambles and other shite. I knew the person and try not to make a row, but this is an all to common occurrence. Although people think that they are doing all right, the reality is they are very often in the way.

Get of my land . No one wants to wander around the Fen its so bleak here, so its not a problem we have. Aside from that, it cheered me no end to see BFF rise again Lazarus style .

Quote Originally Posted by Dragline View Post
    But if we don't educate them, as time goes on they will just force themselves and their rights onto us and the countryside. You are correct though about them being a danger to themselves. They should be proud of the countryside and those who look after and work in it to provide food as well as enjoyment.
    I think its gone to far to turn it back now so its best to keep them at arms length, you only need to read some of the comments on the daily mail webpage and look at the histeria over the horsemeat saga to see how twisted the average Brits perspective on animals and food production is.
    Educating people about food production is great and I think vital but school is the place for it and supervised visits to both arable and livestock farms should be on the curriculum. I would be very happy to see the levy spent on that rather than some of the stuff EBLEX churns out.
    Last edited by beefandsleep; 16-02-13 at 11:00 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    After all Joe Public pays for all the subsidies so he should be made welcome.
    You may own the land but you do not own the access.
    DEBATE !!

the modern country dweller i think are the worst made a bit off money buy cottage do it up complain about smells noise at weekends wee had one moaning about cattle mooing at feeding time (could you please keep the cows
    quiet they wake the children to early she said). we dont get a lot of casual town folk round here any that walk tend to keep to public roads and paths so no problem really .

highlander you will see a completly differant side to this in cairngorm national park with hill walkers tourists and the like whats your view of public access to the land arround your area.
    gh

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Applesquasher View Post
    Biggest problem is that I am a hermit, like it that way and don't much care for a lot of the general public.
    You sound just like my OH
    Sheep Book for Smallholders