Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 49 of 49

Thread: Irish Border

  1. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Lancs
    Posts
    98

    Re: Irish Border

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    Probably will go to France you are right, but as in the case of the MG factory, the factory should be taken over, and we keep the workforce on and produce our own cars and do not export the profits. This mania for so called foreign investment in many industries cannot be right. As I look across our field and see 110 wind turbines all taking profit from our consumers for equipment we even leant a good deal of money to build them!
    Same up the road on land where German companies built two other lots of wind turbines, one lot on an airfield where 85 percent of commonwealth aircrew did not return from Germany!
    I appreciate the world moves on but it is somewhat ironic. The Germans even paid for a wonderfull memorial to the aircrew, at Lissette!
    I agree in a lot of all this it is ourselves to blame, but we really should try and do something about it as The UK will continue on its downward spiral.
    jack caley
    I am sorry to say that the more you write on these things the more you reveal that you are living in the past, global companies, conglomerates and franchise business models are the order of the day. Google et al take loads of money out of the country and pay little to no tax driving our high street stores out of business, not one of them is European all American what is your answer to them?

    It so happens that the Germans got in on the wind turbine act a long time ago, Enercon machines are revered in the industry for quality and not one rival saleperson will ever have a bad word to say about them. A bit of foresight and the government could have put money into BAE to produce good turbines, not a vast difference to aircraft I would have thought. The government has consistently run on short term principles, wont invest for the long term and if its cheaper hear and now so be it. Foreign finance is behind all large infrastructure projects and foreign companies do a lot of the work. That is the way of the world and it will not change too far down the road, that is why to cut our nose off to spite our face with Brexit is lunacy. Leaving on good terms with a deal in place is one thing, a no deal is utter madness and will only further hurt our economy and probably lead to foreign companies being able to pick up more assets on the cheap long term.

  2. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Holderness
    Posts
    990

    Re: Irish Border

    Quote Originally Posted by BigAndy View Post
    I am sorry to say that the more you write on these things the more you reveal that you are living in the past, global companies, conglomerates and franchise business models are the order of the day. Google et al take loads of money out of the country and pay little to no tax driving our high street stores out of business, not one of them is European all American what is your answer to them?

    It so happens that the Germans got in on the wind turbine act a long time ago, Enercon machines are revered in the industry for quality and not one rival saleperson will ever have a bad word to say about them. A bit of foresight and the government could have put money into BAE to produce good turbines, not a vast difference to aircraft I would have thought. The government has consistently run on short term principles, wont invest for the long term and if its cheaper hear and now so be it. Foreign finance is behind all large infrastructure projects and foreign companies do a lot of the work. That is the way of the world and it will not change too far down the road, that is why to cut our nose off to spite our face with Brexit is lunacy. Leaving on good terms with a deal in place is one thing, a no deal is utter madness and will only further hurt our economy and probably lead to foreign companies being able to pick up more assets on the cheap long term.
    You contradict yourself!
    If I am living in the past, it does not mean to say I am wrong!
    China is very reluctant to allow foreign investment. Trump is trying to put America first. New Zealand will not allow foreign purchase of property.
    It comes to something when the profit out of my eating Rowntrees pastille goes to Ireland, presumably then being forwarded on to Switzerland.
    Downing street electricity comes from France!
    The only result of us allowing all this sale of our assets has got further progression to a third world country.
    What the answer is I do not know, but I do believe Brexit is one step forward to stopping eu dominance of our economy.
    Of course the eu is using trade as a weapon to further their political aims, but we must resist it.
    In any case with regard to Nissan that is being used as a weapon, there would surely be some reciprocal action for BMW , Mercedes, and VW.
    jack caley

  3. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northumbrialand
    Posts
    1,467

    Re: Irish Border

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    You contradict yourself!
    If I am living in the past, it does not mean to say I am wrong!
    China is very reluctant to allow foreign investment. Trump is trying to put America first. New Zealand will not allow foreign purchase of property.
    It comes to something when the profit out of my eating Rowntrees pastille goes to Ireland, presumably then being forwarded on to Switzerland.
    Downing street electricity comes from France!
    The only result of us allowing all this sale of our assets has got further progression to a third world country.
    What the answer is I do not know, but I do believe Brexit is one step forward to stopping eu dominance of our economy.
    Of course the eu is using trade as a weapon to further their political aims, but we must resist it.
    In any case with regard to Nissan that is being used as a weapon, there would surely be some reciprocal action for BMW , Mercedes, and VW.
    jack caley
    Could be that BMW, Mercedes , VW etc etc arent that worried about a market in this country that is about to implode.
    If you aint got a job you aint going to ordering the new Beamer!
    It will make it easier to spot the Drug dealers though!

  4. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Holderness
    Posts
    990

    Re: Irish Border

    Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    Could be that BMW, Mercedes , VW etc etc arent that worried about a market in this country that is about to implode.
    If you aint got a job you aint going to ordering the new Beamer!
    It will make it easier to spot the Drug dealers though!
    Gee,
    You really have become a victim of project fear!
    Cheer up!
    jack

  5. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northumbrialand
    Posts
    1,467

    Re: Irish Border

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    Gee,
    You really have become a victim of project fear!
    Cheer up!
    jack
    Nope Jack
    Project Reality!
    I feel sorry for the ordinary working folks who were duped by the Brexiteers promises of an Immigrant free land of Milk and Honey.
    Folks with Kids and Mortgages.
    The Families who depend on a regular monthly income....their pockets aren’t deep enough to survive the bumps in the road that “Rees Mogg” admitted would be part of Brexit.

  6. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Holderness
    Posts
    990

    Re: Irish Border

    Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    Nope Jack
    Project Reality!
    I feel sorry for the ordinary working folks who were duped by the Brexiteers promises of an Immigrant free land of Milk and Honey.
    Folks with Kids and Mortgages.
    The Families who depend on a regular monthly income....their pockets aren’t deep enough to survive the bumps in the road that “Rees Mogg” admitted would be part of Brexit.
    Actually there could be more opportunities in this country, if the government really did do the break properly.
    For instance if in the pig industry, we could get back an industry to contribute about £2 billion!
    Nissan for instance would be able to sell more cars in this country, as would Toyota.
    We could for instance do as France used to do, that was you could not get finance on cars other than French origin.
    The fishing industry could land U.K. Fish here or wherever, but get paid for it.
    If Nicola gets her way we could stop Scottish boats destroying our fishing off the Holderness coastline.
    She might have to pay duties on a hard border though, in the Scottish Borders
    all in the realms of fantasy?
    jack caley

  7. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Bury St Edmunds
    Posts
    1,017

    Re: Irish Border

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    Actually there could be more opportunities in this country, if the government really did do the break properly.
    For instance if in the pig industry, we could get back an industry to contribute about £2 billion!
    Nissan for instance would be able to sell more cars in this country, as would Toyota.
    We could for instance do as France used to do, that was you could not get finance on cars other than French origin.
    The fishing industry could land U.K. Fish here or wherever, but get paid for it.
    If Nicola gets her way we could stop Scottish boats destroying our fishing off the Holderness coastline.
    She might have to pay duties on a hard border though, in the Scottish Borders
    all in the realms of fantasy?
    jack caley
    There won't be many new cars sold if interest rates rise to levels that are more normal in this country
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

  8. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    NB Canada
    Posts
    679

    Re: Irish Border

    Quote Originally Posted by Exfarmer View Post
    There won't be many new cars sold if interest rates rise to levels that are more normal in this country
    On this side of the pond, when they can't sell them they lease them $0 down, $99 per week for 56 weeks - limited mileage permitted
    you end up pay 3/4 of the price of the vehicle and they end up with a used vehicle worth 1/2 the original price

  9. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Bury St Edmunds
    Posts
    1,017

    Re: Irish Border

    Quote Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
    On this side of the pond, when they can't sell them they lease them $0 down, $99 per week for 56 weeks - limited mileage permitted
    you end up pay 3/4 of the price of the vehicle and they end up with a used vehicle worth 1/2 the original price
    We have a similar scam operates here.
    The customer goes into the dealership and leases a car for £20,000 costs only £3,500 a year
    he pays he thinks near zero interest so it must be a good deal!
    However there is limited mileage
    the car must be kept in good nick serviced at the dealers etc.
    After 5 years perhaps less they return car and if it has not gone over mileage and is clean and free of dents scrapes etc he will have paid £17,500 and get say £3,000 allowed on his next car.
    Wheres the catch?
    The lease company gets a big discount on the new car. They then give a kick back to the dealer.
    So instead of that car being worth 20K the truth is it is nearer 12K. However this discount is only available to the lease companies to try and maintain the value of new cars , but it shifts cars out of the factories and showrooms
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

  10. #40
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Lancs
    Posts
    98

    Re: Irish Border

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    You contradict yourself!
    If I am living in the past, it does not mean to say I am wrong!
    China is very reluctant to allow foreign investment. Trump is trying to put America first. New Zealand will not allow foreign purchase of property.
    It comes to something when the profit out of my eating Rowntrees pastille goes to Ireland, presumably then being forwarded on to Switzerland.
    Downing street electricity comes from France!
    The only result of us allowing all this sale of our assets has got further progression to a third world country.
    What the answer is I do not know, but I do believe Brexit is one step forward to stopping eu dominance of our economy.
    Of course the eu is using trade as a weapon to further their political aims, but we must resist it.
    In any case with regard to Nissan that is being used as a weapon, there would surely be some reciprocal action for BMW , Mercedes, and VW.
    jack caley
    Not quite sure how I have contradicted myself but anyway, when I say you are living in the past it is your expectation that things will change from the current norm. No government will have the political will or the bottle to rise above the short term run by accountants economy. Trump might protect the US, if we imposed tax on Amazon, Google et al to a reasonable rate he would retaliate with trade restrictions, just bullying which ha can get away with from a position of strength. We are not going to be in that scenario as we will be on our arse looking for trade deals where we can get them and have to take what's on offer. China is a different kettle of fish altogether and is behind much of the finance already in this country.

    To think we are going to return to a manufacturing base country, making things the rest of the world will want any time soon is a view that's 50 years out of date

  11. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    NB Canada
    Posts
    679

    Re: Irish Border

    Quote Originally Posted by Exfarmer View Post
    We have a similar scam operates here.
    The customer goes into the dealership and leases a car for £20,000 costs only £3,500 a year
    he pays he thinks near zero interest so it must be a good deal!
    However there is limited mileage
    the car must be kept in good nick serviced at the dealers etc.
    After 5 years perhaps less they return car and if it has not gone over mileage and is clean and free of dents scrapes etc he will have paid £17,500 and get say £3,000 allowed on his next car.
    Wheres the catch?
    The lease company gets a big discount on the new car. They then give a kick back to the dealer.
    So instead of that car being worth 20K the truth is it is nearer 12K. However this discount is only available to the lease companies to try and maintain the value of new cars , but it shifts cars out of the factories and showrooms
    Zero percent interest- right
    The last vehicle I bought, a 2017 4x4 pickup, had a price of some $46k Canadian at zero percent interest for 6 years - CASH price: I wrote them a cheque for $38k

  12. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    NB Canada
    Posts
    679

    Re: Irish Border

    Quote Originally Posted by BigAndy View Post
    . . . if we imposed tax on Amazon, Google et al to . . .
    And YOUR adding a tax to protect the UK wouldn't be seen as "bullying" by the US? And Amazon, et al aren't seen as raping, pillaging and plundering by the UK? All points of view based on where you happen to be standing.

    the problem with dealing with Trump is he IS a businessman and thinks in business terms while most other politicians are just professional arse kissers, deal in feelings and little common sense with business.

    (and yes, Trump has had our Prime Minister, PM Blackface, bend over and take it in the kiester)

  13. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Holderness
    Posts
    990

    Re: Irish Border

    Quote Originally Posted by BigAndy View Post
    Not quite sure how I have contradicted myself but anyway, when I say you are living in the past it is your expectation that things will change from the current norm. No government will have the political will or the bottle to rise above the short term run by accountants economy. Trump might protect the US, if we imposed tax on Amazon, Google et al to a reasonable rate he would retaliate with trade restrictions, just bullying which ha can get away with from a position of strength. We are not going to be in that scenario as we will be on our arse looking for trade deals where we can get them and have to take what's on offer. China is a different kettle of fish altogether and is behind much of the finance already in this country.

    To think we are going to return to a manufacturing base country, making things the rest of the world will want any time soon is a view that's 50 years out of date
    It is not just manufacturing but other services for instance electricity, water, trains, even the telephone in Hull!
    I may be 50 years out of date, but the next fifty years will see us slipping further down the plug hole. As a nation we really have to do something about selling the family jewels, especially as we allow more immigration and need to import even more.
    Incidentally the Australian company that bought Hull telephones has just double their charges. I wonder where that extra cash will go?
    jack caley

  14. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Holderness
    Posts
    990

    Re: Irish Border

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    Actually I was not meaning just trying to sell to Europe, of course they are protectionist, that is why Toyota and Nissan established assembly plants here. But I presume there are exports elsewhere, I may be mistaken. Wherever the cars go, I wonder where the profits go?
    Quite by coincidence, my daughter had bought some Rowntrees fruit pastille from Heron foods. I read the label, which said "they" had been proudly producing these pastille from the recipe produced by Joseph Rowntree some 149 years ago. There was an address in York but The main address was Nestles, Dublin Ireland.
    Not only had Nestles of Switzerland taken the profits from the UK, but they even put them in to Ireland , presumably for less tax!
    It will be sad when Nissan leave, because they have had some economic benefit around Sunderland. One of our ex customers, a struggling pig farmer from there bought a mill mixer from us, he came to see it in a tatty old Mazda car. He was a great fellow we enjoyed dealing with him. My wife and I once delivered some spares to him. He turned up in the farmyard, driving a top of the range Range Rover! He had sold a small farm he owned to Nissan for a golf course, so the directors could come over here to play golf. The amusing part was, he had had the Range Rover a week, but was already grumbling about the amount of petrol it used!
    Funny stories aside, my main point is, one by one we have sold key companies, and wonder why they have bought them!
    jack caley
    To follow on this item, we got some Kit Kat chocolate biscuits. They also were Rowntrees product, they still do have holding address in York, but the profits go to S Ireland, presumably because Irish favourable corporation tax. Just to rub it in the recipe has been changed, and the chocolate does not taste the same!
    jack caley

  15. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Holderness
    Posts
    990

    Re: Irish Border

    Quote Originally Posted by BigAndy View Post
    I am sorry to say that the more you write on these things the more you reveal that you are living in the past, global companies, conglomerates and franchise business models are the order of the day. Google et al take loads of money out of the country and pay little to no tax driving our high street stores out of business, not one of them is European all American what is your answer to them?

    It so happens that the Germans got in on the wind turbine act a long time ago, Enercon machines are revered in the industry for quality and not one rival saleperson will ever have a bad word to say about them. A bit of foresight and the government could have put money into BAE to produce good turbines, not a vast difference to aircraft I would have thought. The government has consistently run on short term principles, wont invest for the long term and if its cheaper hear and now so be it. Foreign finance is behind all large infrastructure projects and foreign companies do a lot of the work. That is the way of the world and it will not change too far down the road, that is why to cut our nose off to spite our face with Brexit is lunacy. Leaving on good terms with a deal in place is one thing, a no deal is utter madness and will only further hurt our economy and probably lead to foreign companies being able to pick up more assets on the cheap long term.
    Just out of interest google janetteheffernan.blogspot.com
    jack caley

  16. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Holderness
    Posts
    990

    Re: Irish Border

    More. And more I can see why Varadkar is difficult over Brexit.
    Today I see Lidl,s offices are registered in Dublin.
    It is not just the export of his beef, cheese and butter that is at risk.
    It is all those companies registered in Ireland paying reduced corporation task in Ireland, money for nothing.
    Europe has captured our £60 billion trading deficit over the last 40 years, well done!
    We could just as easily manage on importing Kia, Mitsubishi and MG, instead of BMW, VW, Mercedes etc.
    There is nothing wrong with American steaks, (yum, yum) or indeed chicken or pork.
    I agree UK farmers would suffer, but what I do resent is the fact that politicians are doing all this to protect their fat cat salaries, when they have no idea of trade.
    jack caley

  17. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Bury St Edmunds
    Posts
    1,017

    Re: Irish Border

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    More. And more I can see why Varadkar is difficult over Brexit.
    Today I see Lidl,s offices are registered in Dublin.
    It is not just the export of his beef, cheese and butter that is at risk.
    It is all those companies registered in Ireland paying reduced corporation task in Ireland, money for nothing.
    Europe has captured our £60 billion trading deficit over the last 40 years, well done!
    We could just as easily manage on importing Kia, Mitsubishi and MG, instead of BMW, VW, Mercedes etc.
    There is nothing wrong with American steaks, (yum, yum) or indeed chicken or pork.
    I agree UK farmers would suffer, but what I do resent is the fact that politicians are doing all this to protect their fat cat salaries, when they have no idea of trade.
    jack caley
    Jack, it is not just Dublin seen as a cheap tax haven. London has this honour too, my sons company is the largest multi nationals in its field. If you had asked Joe Bloggs on the omnibus where this household name was head quartered he would have confidently told you the other side of the world.
    Now they have left for Amsterdam with their, not just a few hundred million tax payments per year but a large number of very highly paid jobs which 90% of kids in the UK would aspire to.
    I believe my son is heading for California soon.
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

  18. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Holderness
    Posts
    990

    Re: Irish Border

    Quote Originally Posted by Exfarmer View Post
    Jack, it is not just Dublin seen as a cheap tax haven. London has this honour too, my sons company is the largest multi nationals in its field. If you had asked Joe Bloggs on the omnibus where this household name was head quartered he would have confidently told you the other side of the world.
    Now they have left for Amsterdam with their, not just a few hundred million tax payments per year but a large number of very highly paid jobs which 90% of kids in the UK would aspire to.
    I believe my son is heading for California soon.
    Just wondered, if London is also a cheap tax haven, why are Lidl and Rowntrees registered in Dublin?
    regards,
    jack

  19. #49
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Bury St Edmunds
    Posts
    1,017

    Re: Irish Border

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    Just wondered, if London is also a cheap tax haven, why are Lidl and Rowntrees registered in Dublin?
    regards,
    jack
    Certainly Irish rates are far lower at 12.5% and some 6.5%
    However historically London has been low compared to most nations with a level of 19% compared to US 35% with similar across a lot of the EU.
    Tax rates across the world have been dropping lately.
    However until recently many large corporations have seen London as beneficial due to the presence of the large financial markets.
    The ability today of large corporations and small to shift assets at the click of a button means many are moving the " accounting centre to these Tax havens.
    However the real benefit to any economy is when the jobs in the higher offices are based in a country.
    There may only be a couple of people in a Dublin office whereas in London there may be thousands employed in real work and the jobs pay high wages which in turn pay taxes.
    The reporting of profits in Dublin may mean the Irish government receives perhaps £12.5 million tax on a reported £100million profit but if the London office is paying staff £250,000,000 ( 1000 staff at £250,000) that is a tax take of £100,000,000 give or take at 40%
    My own son pays more tax than the average UK farm receives in SFP

    I am not saying all companies will abandon London, Brexit has been good for another close relation as it is funnelling work through there London office via a third country which has an established relationship with the EU to work there. This means they have set up a division in London to work in this highly specialised service industry and my relation has got a substantial raise in status
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •