Thread: Must farmers change their ways?

Must farmers change their ways?

This is a story from an Australian farmer's viewpoint.

Matthew Evans moved to Tasmania from Sydney, and runs a small holding and rural restaurant, making TV shows broadcast nationally (Gourmet Farmer, on SBS TV).

Since he does not have a farming background, he brings a new perspective; I don't always agree with what he says, but he often talks sense - in my opinion.

JV
    https://www.thesaturdaypaper.com.au/...15701976008885
    Agtronix - the home of the Weedswiper

Re: Must farmers change their ways?

Quote Originally Posted by john maddock View Post
    This is a story from an Australian farmer's viewpoint.

Matthew Evans moved to Tasmania from Sydney, and runs a small holding and rural restaurant, making TV shows broadcast nationally (Gourmet Farmer, on SBS TV).

Since he does not have a farming background, he brings a new perspective; I don't always agree with what he says, but he often talks sense - in my opinion.

JV
    https://www.thesaturdaypaper.com.au/...15701976008885
    John, I read through the article and I agree with it, in part. i don't think we need to stop cutting trees but revert back to the way we used to cut trees.

Revert back? What do I mean?

Before the days of everyone having heavy equipment (1940s, 50s), the forests were farmed - the trees that were mature were cut and the rest left because the cost of handling was greater than the reward (payment). replanting wasn't necessary as most trees left were 20 or so years old and would be ready for another cut in 10 or so years - it never stops being a carbon sink.

In today's world, the forestry industry cuts anything that will make a 4 foot 2"x2" - the land is raped, plundered and pillaged thus needing replanted. a replanted forest does NOT remove much carbon from the air for 20 to 30 years. in addition, for those same 20 - 30 years, the replanted trees do not shade the earth thus raising the temperature and does not hold back much water during rain or spring thawing thus causing sudden raising of streams and flooding.

Yes, changes are necessary, and these changes are required of more than just farmers

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
    John, I read through the article and I agree with it, in part. i don't think we need to stop cutting trees but revert back to the way we used to cut trees.

Before the days of everyone having heavy equipment (1940s, 50s), the forests were farmed - the trees that were mature were cut and the rest left because the cost of handling was greater than the reward (payment). replanting wasn't necessary as most trees left were 20 or so years old and would be ready for another cut in 10 or so years - it never stops being a carbon sink.

In today's world, the forestry industry cuts anything that will make a 4 foot 2"x2" - the land is raped, plundered and pillaged thus needing replanted. a replanted forest does NOT remove much carbon from the air for 20 to 30 years. in addition, for those same 20 - 30 years, the replanted trees do not shade the earth thus raising the temperature and does not hold back much water during rain or spring thawing thus causing sudden raising of streams and flooding.

Yes, changes are necessary, and these changes are required of more than just farmers
    Hello Ironhead

Re trees, you are writing to the converted here. I could go on for hours about the disgraceful management of our forest industry. I was a forest activist for nearly 10 years, and failed miserably against the combination of unions, government and big business. The big business (Gunns Ltd) went bust! Karma! If you have a mind to, Google it.

JV
    Agtronix - the home of the Weedswiper

Quote Originally Posted by john maddock View Post
    Hello Ironhead

Re trees, you are writing to the converted here. I could go on for hours about the disgraceful management of our forest industry. I was a forest activist for nearly 10 years, and failed miserably against the combination of unions, government and big business. The big business (Gunns Ltd) went bust! Karma! If you have a mind to, Google it.

JV
    I hear you. In our province we have one dominate (the empire) wood fiber purchaser / harvester / processor and 1 dominate landowner with wood holdings (the Crown). These two conspire to reduce the cost effectiveness of individual landholders to grow and harvest wood products.

"the empire" clear-cuts thousands of acres of "crown" land (Taxpayers land) each year and pays a royalty rate which is less than the cost of management of these lands.

For what it costs me in property taxes each year (about the cost of a couple big boxes of beer) I might as well just let my 65 acres fall over and provide wildlife habitat.

I have just looked up he number of cows there are in the Uk. Around 5 million.
    I believe there are about 26 million cars.
    enough said?
    I think a lot of the beef argument spells from vegans.
    jack caley

Jack - interesting take. I wonder how many trucks there are hauling good from around the world to the local grocery store? (plus the ships in the harbours to get the goods to the UK in the first place)

These climate activists (and vegans) have to have their exotic fruits and vegies

Looking a bit further outside the box,imho the 'green' renewable energy industry has a lot to answer for, for example biomass boilers burning wood pellets,it cannot be green to fell thousands of trees,chip them,transport them then burn them to produce supposedly green energy,then there are anaerobic digesters,I understood that they used waste products to produce energy,there is a digester across the valley from me,they make silage then feed it into the digester and no,it doesn't go through a cow first.As for the IPCC,it depends which organisation is paying for their thoughts,remember the 'hockey stick' fiasco plus a computer is only as good as the 'facts' that are being fed into it.

Quote Originally Posted by cmjl View Post
    Looking a bit further outside the box,imho the 'green' renewable energy industry has a lot to answer for, for example biomass boilers burning wood pellets,it cannot be green to fell thousands of trees,chip them,transport them then burn them to produce supposedly green energy,then there are anaerobic digesters,I understood that they used waste products to produce energy,there is a digester across the valley from me,they make silage then feed it into the digester and no,it doesn't go through a cow first.As for the IPCC,it depends which organisation is paying for their thoughts,remember the 'hockey stick' fiasco plus a computer is only as good as the 'facts' that are being fed into it.
    It depends on how they cut and what they put into the biomass - if they clear-cut and put limbs and tops through the shredder, it isn't very "green". If they select cut (leave the semi-mature trees to grow and remove carbon) and permit the limbs and tops to rot (fertilizer - just like plowing under potato plants after harvest) it can be greener than just using bucker c or Natural Gas to create electricity.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post

Terrific post, take a bow sir.

Quote Originally Posted by wrsni View Post
    Terrific post, take a bow sir.
    Thank you sir.

In the last decade I have seen forests which were select cut using mechanical harvesters - it takes a little longer and you don't get as much wood. part of the problem is the cost of the equipment - I know people with harvesters who have to run two shifts just to make the payments.