Thread: Steam ploughing

Steam ploughing

Went to the national ploughing match near Lincoln yesterday. Good day out, the star of the day for me was the steam tackle ploughing, two machines, pulling the reversible plough.
    Marvellous, if you get chance to see it action go and watch.
    jack caley

Re: Steam ploughing

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    Went to the national ploughing match near Lincoln yesterday. Good day out, the star of the day for me was the steam tackle ploughing, two machines, pulling the reversible plough.
    Marvellous, if you get chance to see it action go and watch.
    jack caley

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
    Tried to post photos, but try as I might I cannot!
    jack caley

I was muckspreading on an estate about 50 years ago and there is a 7 acre lake in front of the big house and they were dredging that with two steamers. Very impressive seeing one engine pulling the blade across with the wire cable and then the other engine pulling it back againn. The trees round the perimeter were a bit of a nuisance for them but they soon had great piles of sludge round the outside.

Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    I was muckspreading on an estate about 50 years ago and there is a 7 acre lake in front of the big house and they were dredging that with two steamers. Very impressive seeing one engine pulling the blade across with the wire cable and then the other engine pulling it back againn. The trees round the perimeter were a bit of a nuisance for them but they soon had great piles of sludge round the outside.
    My son Robert saw a similar operation, cannot have been the same one as he is 53.
    The other operation they used to do I think used a deep drag called a McLaren drag. There used to be one on a small farm on the road to Whitby.
    All clever stuff!
    jack caley