Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Election Result Predictions?

Election Result Predictions?

Anyone care to take a punt?
    Long way to go.....always a chance one of Boris’s peccadillos will raise her head at the wrong time...(for Boris).

To get things going...

Tories......probably largest party, but not with an overall majority.

Lib Dems ....probably not larger numbers than Labour (bit of a revolution if they were to) but large enough to present Brexiteer Tories with a clear majority problem.

Labour.....reduced number of seats? But probably larger number than the Liberals.

SNP......probable walkover in Scotland? Without Ruth Davidson the Tories are in for a caning...

Plaid Cymru??....Much the same as before?

Farage and the rest?......who knows....now that a main stream party has parked their tanks on his lawn...Life is a little more difficult for Nigel.

Re: Election Result Predictions?

Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    Anyone care to take a punt?
    Long way to go.....always a chance one of Boris’s peccadillos will raise her head at the wrong time...(for Boris).

To get things going...

Tories......probably largest party, but not with an overall majority.

Lib Dems ....probably not larger numbers than Labour (bit of a revolution if they were to) but large enough to present Brexiteer Tories with a clear majority problem.

Labour.....reduced number of seats? But probably larger number than the Liberals.

SNP......probable walkover in Scotland? Without Ruth Davidson the Tories are in for a caning...

Plaid Cymru??....Much the same as before?

Farage and the rest?......who knows....now that a main stream party has parked their tanks on his lawn...Life is a little more difficult for Nigel.
    It is in the lap of the gods!
    Corbyn is a very clever politician, I would not write him off too much.
    For me though it is a most unsatisfactory way forward, as a GE is too broad a spectrum and does not solve issues.
    Boris is of course trying to avoid the May mistake, in that he started electioneering weeks ago. He has more political nouse than he is given credit for, underneath all that humour. It is difficult to hit a man who makes you laugh, and his faint praise of Bercow proved.
    jack caley

'Boris the buffoon' is a ready made insult which is all the more easily employed as it rolls off the tongue so delightfully.

But the bold Mr Johnson is certainly no fool and the more shit that's thrown his way, the more he impresses with his ability to not only deal with it, but to continue to move things forward.

I'm afraid the only buffoons are those who continue to be blind to the excellent job he's done so far for the UK and all it's citizens, by trying to negotiate a path out of the wreckage built up under the stewardship of his predecessor.

I hope he comes out of the election with enough power to both get his deal through, but also to remain as PM as I think he will put the country back on it's feet.

Quote Originally Posted by wrsni View Post
    'Boris the buffoon' is a ready made insult which is all the more easily employed as it rolls off the tongue so delightfully.

But the bold Mr Johnson is certainly no fool and the more shit that's thrown his way, the more he impresses with his ability to not only deal with it, but to continue to move things forward.

I'm afraid the only buffoons are those who continue to be blind to the excellent job he's done so far for the UK and all it's citizens, by trying to negotiate a path out of the wreckage built up under the stewardship of his predecessor.

I hope he comes out of the election with enough power to both get his deal through, but also to remain as PM as I think he will put the country back on it's feet.
    I aim yet to see what his deal gives that May's deal did not except a border in the Irish Sea. This as we all know is never going to be accepted by the DUP, even though many in Northern Ireland will welcome it as step in the direction of re unification with Eire
    Does it do anything for the fishing?
    Do we still keep paying the £39,000,000,000?

But one thing we do know, is that they are happy that in future, we should import food produced to any standard or indeed no standards , while they are going to impose far greater rules and regs on us.

However I will agree that Jonson is no fool, he has only ever had his eye on one thing and he has got that, but has he done anything for the British public, of course not, for a start he has not had five minutes to make any changes to anything.
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

Firstly, I speak as someone who doesn't as much want the UK out of the EU as I do not want there to be an EU. It is toxic for the UK, the continent of Europe, and if they had sufficient power and influence (which will hopefully NOT now happen), the entire globe.

Secondly, I speak as a citizen of the UK in Northern Ireland, quite happy to be so, and fully intended to remain so. Boris' deal was the only way to deal with the situation which had been allowed to develop around the border. And given things as they were, I had no desire for my own little part of the UK to be used as a tool to block the rest of the UK from leaving, which is exactly what had been happening all along. Northern Ireland will still get to avail of any terms negotiated with other countries outside of the EU, and the long term relationship with the EU has been ultimately handed over to our own politicians. The DUP huffed because they wanted the vote in 4 yrs time (if necessary) to fall under the cross-community support arrangements, other than that they'd have supported it from the outset, which they should have done irrespective of the nature of the vote. There are plenty who think NI needs to grow up and accept proper democratic governance anyway, so to potentially tie something so important to a system looking increasingly outdated was pretty ridiculous on the DUP's part.

Thirdly, the issue of NI's constitutional status is taken care of by the Good Friday Agreement and subsequent St Andrews agreement and what the last few years of turmoil have proved is that this is pretty much considered sacrosanct by everyone. So what Boris has done is actually strengthen the union by separating the the two issues and allowing us to remain part of the UK while having control of our relationship with the EU ourselves. It's actually pretty clever as there's no doubt that removing the relationship with the EU as a factor means that there will be nowhere near a majority in favour of leaving the UK for the foreseeable future, not that it was anywhere near as close as some were claiming anyway.

In short, he played a blinder!

With regard to a border between N Ireland and U.K., and also customs clearance at Dover Felixstowe, Hull and Purfleet, never mind worrying about delays, would it not be an idea, in view of those poor 39 dead Vietnam Namese to check every single lorry? Nearly all lorries are checked in Hull, ours included! Apparently it was a recognised occurrence in Purfleet, there have been immigrants picked up from the fields near Hull docks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    With regard to a border between N Ireland and U.K., and also customs clearance at Dover Felixstowe, Hull and Purfleet, never mind worrying about delays, would it not be an idea, in view of those poor 39 dead Vietnam Namese to check every single lorry? Nearly all lorries are checked in Hull, ours included! Apparently it was a recognised occurrence in Purfleet, there have been immigrants picked up from the fields near Hull docks.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...y-Belgium.html

Twelve migrants have been found alive inside a refrigerated truck at a motorway parking area in Belgium - one week after 39 were found dead in London.
    The driver, who was transporting fruit and vegetables, called police after suspecting people were hiding in the back.
    He was told to pull over into a parking area when 11 Syrian men and one Sudanese man were found inside his lorry.

With reference to all those 39 poor souls who perished at the hands of murdererous scum I've had an idea.

All containers, vehicles with enclosed bodies, refrigerated lorries, etc. should have to be fitted with a camera that runs on a powered internal track in the roof, the length of the vehicle. The camera is to be U.K. Customs approved and be able to be controlled by anyone who has the controlling mechanism to hand. There are plenty of this type of camera available. Camera specifications should be the remit of Customs and amongst other things they should be able to zoom, rotate, and pan vertically and horizontally. All it needs is a track in each vehicle because the cameras should be capable of being deployed in any vehicle. When the vehicle reaches a Customs Post the driver hands the camera controller over to the Border Guard who deploys it to invetsigate the inside of the vehicle. No camera controller - no admittance. Non-working system - rip the vehicle apart at a time to suit H.M. Customs or turn it round and send it back to where it came from.

Could such a system be made to work ?

OK fine......but how do you see the election working out?
    What’s your prediction for the result?
    First, Second, Third and who will have the power.

Oh go on then, ...........................Tories with a majority.

Simply because all the rest are so crap!
    Last edited by wrsni; 31-10-19 at 09:15 PM.

Events of the last day or two....shows the utter contempt that today’s politicians hold the voters of this country.
    Heading for one of the few times that the population can supposedly have their say as to a future government, Pompous Farage proclaims that he will withdraw 317 candidates...(that he probably didn’t have anyway) and thus affect the outcome of the election....
    Interesting how Farage apparently runs his party as a Dictatorship.....in his so called pursuit of Democracy for the ordinary voter.
    Classic “ Wag the Dog”

Events of the last day or two....shows the utter contempt that today’s politicians hold the voters of this country.
    Heading for one of the few times that the population can supposedly have their say as to a future government, Pompous Farage proclaims that he will withdraw 317 candidates...(that he probably didn’t have anyway) and thus affect the outcome of the election....
    Interesting how Farage apparently runs his party as a Dictatorship.....in his so called pursuit of Democracy for the ordinary voter.
    Classic “ Wag the Dog”
    You could say he was displaying leadership, a thing sadly lacking in other party's!
    He did display about 600 candidates, did he not.
    Whatever you might think of him, he has been the most influential politician of the last 20 years.
    He was the one that recognised the monster of Europe first, and recognised the damage it has done to this country. Yet another example this week at Scunthorpe.

jack caley

Sorry Jack but I don't agree with your comment "he has been the most influential politician of the last 20 years." Farage is Brexit and nothing else. But he's got a handle on the whole EU nonsense, and he speaks his mind (which is unusual within his contemporaries) But he has, in my opinion, blotted his copybook within the last 7 days. Why on Earth didn't he and Boris sit down and talk this thing through instead of him barging in with "a Brexit candidate in every constituency" ? He has redeemed himself to a degree by saying that his party won't contest seats where there is a current Tory M.P. He should go further. He should say that Brexit will only contest seats where the Torys haven't a hope in Hell of winning.

But what I don't understand is why he has so much sway over a party that he doesn't (and isn't going to) represent in the Commons. I know he's stood and failed 8 times and he is also an M.E.P. but he should be in the Commons if he is leader of the Brexit party.

Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    Sorry Jack but I don't agree with your comment "he has been the most influential politician of the last 20 years." Farage is Brexit and nothing else. But he's got a handle on the whole EU nonsense, and he speaks his mind (which is unusual within his contemporaries) But he has, in my opinion, blotted his copybook within the last 7 days. Why on Earth didn't he and Boris sit down and talk this thing through instead of him barging in with "a Brexit candidate in every constituency" ? He has redeemed himself to a degree by saying that his party won't contest seats where there is a current Tory M.P. He should go further. He should say that Brexit will only contest seats where the Torys haven't a hope in Hell of winning.

But what I don't understand is why he has so much sway over a party that he doesn't (and isn't going to) represent in the Commons. I know he's stood and failed 8 times and he is also an M.E.P. but he should be in the Commons if he is leader of the Brexit party.
    I also am disappointed that he has not stood for election as an MP, he cannot have a proper voice without. I do not know why he has not.
    I think maybe both he and Boris have too much vanity to cooperate. After all every politician has to be an egotist to qualify, especially someone who would be silly enough to want to be prime minister.
    jack caley

I predict unfortunately that the tories will get a majority and then they will proceed to throw the deal negotiated with Europe out of the window and go for a no deal Brexit again. He has got rid of most of the tory rebels from the party and the rest arnt strong enough to stand up to him or more to the point his advisor!

The election is being fought on Brexit which is fundamentally wrong but the Uk people are that sick of it they want a resolution and unfortunately I think they will go for the easy option of Boris. We will then be left up the creek no paddle with a deteriorating economy, cheap food imports and a decimated farming industry.

But hey Boris will have got what he has been plotting for all along.

Where does this idea that Boris wants 'no deals' come from.
    Of course agreements will be made but hopefully much better than the so-called deal almost passed earlier.
    At the moment both sides seem to be heading for la-la land trying to outdo eah other by throwing other people's money about.
    Today Labour are promising free fast fibre broadband for everyone and who's paying for it, a special tax on companies they don't like like Amazon and Google.
    That just won't work they'd remove themselves from the UK before being given a bill for £billions for a project that would take decades to deliver.

They do have a point about private companies acting like a shower of sh1t though, they refuse point blank to extend mobile cover let alone 3G or better to areas they think uneconomic (like here), meanwhile BT have been at planning stage for about three years to install a cabinet a mile away which may or may not work here.
    At that rate fibre to each house is will take until about 2090.
    A rational approach would be practically enforce near total coverage with 3G/4G/5G - then they could forget about eleventy million miles of new cable.

Quote Originally Posted by 4wd View Post
    Where does this idea that Boris wants 'no deals' come from.
    Of course agreements will be made but hopefully much better than the so-called deal almost passed earlier.
    At the moment both sides seem to be heading for la-la land trying to outdo eah other by throwing other people's money about.
    Today Labour are promising free fast fibre broadband for everyone and who's paying for it, a special tax on companies they don't like like Amazon and Google.
    That just won't work they'd remove themselves from the UK before being given a bill for £billions for a project that would take decades to deliver.

They do have a point about private companies acting like a shower of sh1t though, they refuse point blank to extend mobile cover let alone 3G or better to areas they think uneconomic (like here), meanwhile BT have been at planning stage for about three years to install a cabinet a mile away which may or may not work here.
    At that rate fibre to each house is will take until about 2090.
    A rational approach would be practically enforce near total coverage with 3G/4G/5G - then they could forget about eleventy million miles of new cable.
    Has anyone got any experience with EE dongles?
    we have an EE mast notfar away.
    Ihave tried microwave, but it is very variable and appears about the same price as EE.
    Thanks for any advice.
    jack caley

60 million trees today!

60 million trees today!
    we had a farmer from near Helmsley talking to our local discussion group the other day. He said they they had planted trees on all the best land near him. They are going to flood some Sunk Island land near here, some of the best land in Europe. Apparently we do not need food any more.
    jack caley

Classic “ Wag the Dog”

"The Brexit Party" has never been a party, it is a limited company owned by Farage and one other ( Aroon Banks I believe but may be mistaken)
    This means he does not have to make any account about funding expenses etc.

60, million's trees a year, that is 60,000 acres lost to agriculture a year won't be any left soon.

Interesting to see YFC are jumping on the let’s look good bandwagon....
    According to press reports YFC are to embark on a nation wide tree planting scheme...
    Funny how if you wait long enough the same old bus comes around...
    I can remember YFC County executive meeting in 1973 ....NYFC had hatched a scheme called “Plant a tree in 73”....
    Much the same ambition, I expect as the current scheme........
    After a bit of discussion a voice from the back of the room pronounced...in broad Geordie....”I’ve planted 73,000 trees this year will that count?”
    Shelter belts on reclaimed hill land.....
    No, was the answer....not really what NYFC are looking for...
    Taken 46 odd years for the bus to come around but it’s here!

“Plant a tree in 73”....
    Plant some more in 74!!!

Plant plenty in 2020 !!!

Quote Originally Posted by J B View Post
    Plant some more in 74!!!
    Then there was "keep them alive in 75".

Round here there's plenty of recent largely failed planting schemes which are now a ragwort, thistle and bramble bush wasteland littered with plastic tubes.
    Worse, they are often projects done 'to make up areas' for grant and little if any thought has been given to aesthetics let alone future management including land alongside the scrubby wilderness.
    Some of what is now in this derelict state was previously species-rich hay meadow.
    Much more of this on the cards.

Quote Originally Posted by 4wd View Post
    Then there was "keep them alive in 75".

Round here there's plenty of recent largely failed planting schemes which are now a ragwort, thistle and bramble bush wasteland littered with plastic tubes.
    Worse, they are often projects done 'to make up areas' for grant and little if any thought has been given to aesthetics let alone future management including land alongside the scrubby wilderness.
    Some of what is now in this derelict state was previously species-rich hay meadow.
    Much more of this on the cards.
    I expect it was " dry little sticks in 76"

The trouble with so many of these schemes today is the huge number of deer across the country who just love to coppice them no matter how tall the tubes

Oh, you gentlemen are such a hoot, with your witty phrases

You UK sceptics do not have a patent. Tree growing scams are universal; Tasmanian blue gums in California in the late 19C. Victorian E. nitens in Tasmania in the early 21C. Who knows where else!

The present (and growing) fad of cross laminated timber (CLT) structures (how good will the glue be in 100 year's time?) will more than likely gain the attention of the scammers - and Gee's bus will most certainly be back on the road again!

(Apologies for diverting the thread. Lost control of my fingers for a while )

JV
    Last edited by john maddock; 18-11-19 at 03:04 AM.
    Agtronix - the home of the Weedswiper

Lib Dem got in here a few months ago at the Brecon & Radnorshire by election after our tory blotted his copy book by committing fraud. Pretty sure our new tory candidate will get in this time.
    Don't itch for something if you're not prepared to scratch for it.

Classic “ Wag the Dog”
    You talk about contempt! It would be difficult to be more contemptuous than one of the candidates running in Belfast, he was caught urinating in one of the streets of central Belfast! His party leader said he apologised, so it's OK then!!

Quote Originally Posted by rangerover View Post
    You talk about contempt! It would be difficult to be more contemptuous than one of the candidates running in Belfast, he was caught urinating in one of the streets of central Belfast! His party leader said he apologised, so it's OK then!!
    Which party was / is he running for? Perhaps voters would like to know what the party stands for?

<and no, I am not eligible to vote in this upcoming election>