Thread: JCB JZ140 360 track motor plugs problem

JCB JZ140 360 track motor plugs problem

Calling the BFF brains trust!

One of the track motors on said 360 (recently acquired), has begun singing a little song, so I thought I should check the oil level. Problem is, I cannot move the oil level or drain plugs on either side.

All are M22 male plugs requiring a 10mm Allen key. There appears to be a 2mm lead ring around each plug - presumably the visible part of a seal.

I've given them all a spray of Balistol, but that may take a while to soak in, if ever. The service manual is silent on removing the plugs, but says to tighten them to 6 -20Nm (22 ftlbs) so they should not be tight, and if the lead is a seal, they should not be rusted.

Any ideas from anyone?

JV
    Last edited by john maddock; 02-11-19 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Clarity
    Agtronix - the home of the Weedswiper

Re: JCB JZ140 360 track motor plugs problem

Give it a good rattle round the outside of the plug (not the plug itself) with a hammer.

Usually does the trick

Got a bit of round bar about the same OD as the plug- use it to welt it with a fair hammer and shock the plug and washer. A good 1/2" drive hex socket and knuckle bar may be required too
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

Hmm.. two good ideas - thanks gents - even if opposite views! I'll try both - carefully!

JV

The muddy edge of the biggest puddle in the uk

If all else fails beat a section of old allen key in and carefully weld it to the plug then before it cools carefully loosen it with a bar and socket . When welding try not to undercut as it weakens the key. I had to do this in the past and it worked fine bar the expense of new plugs. Be sure to fit the welder's earth to the hub face somewhere NOT somewhere handy like a track plate as this will damage bearings as the current passes thought them.

Quote Originally Posted by MC130 View Post
    Give it a good rattle round the outside of the plug (not the plug itself) with a hammer.

Usually does the trick
    Should've said - going round the outside with the hammer allows you to lean on the allen key at the same time.
    A 10mm key will stand a short piece of pipe. FF's suggestion of hex socket and knucklebar would probably be better, though.

Quote Originally Posted by MC130 View Post
    Should've said - going round the outside with the hammer allows you to lean on the allen key at the same time.
    A 10mm key will stand a short piece of pipe. FF's suggestion of hex socket and knucklebar would probably be better, though.
    Thanks MC130. Already used a short piece of pipe, to the extent the key was flexing.

Until I know the purpose of what I think is a lead washer, I'm reluctant to put any heat on; don't want it melting & leaking when I have a week of work ahead!
    I'm building an irrigation dam, and until yesterday the material already placed had got too dry for a good bond with new material. A few showers in the last 2 days (I could do with some of yours, btw!) means I can continue.

JV

Quote Originally Posted by T P View Post
    If all else fails beat a section of old allen key in and carefully weld it to the plug then before it cools carefully loosen it with a bar and socket . When welding try not to undercut as it weakens the key. I had to do this in the past and it worked fine bar the expense of new plugs. Be sure to fit the welder's earth to the hub face somewhere NOT somewhere handy like a track plate as this will damage bearings as the current passes thought them.
    Thanks for the reminder about the welder circuit going thru the bearings. The sprocket is nice & shiny & should make a good earth, but see my comment to MC130 which follows.

JV

Success! FF's suggestion was the nearest to what succeeded. A short piece of M20 bar, smaller than the plug, tapped with a claw hammer around the periphery of each plug saw success. Took a couple of minutes tapping on each plug. The Balistol may have helped. The ring I could see was a gasket which had deformed to the shape of the hole.

JV

No idea about the JS models but while you are at it John have you checked the slew gearbox oil?

Quote Originally Posted by essexpete View Post
    No idea about the JS models but while you are at it John have you checked the slew gearbox oil?
    Blood oath essexpete! Is the Pope Catholic?

I check it before every daily start up! the previous owner (machinery hire company) claims he spent $30k replacing the slew motor & gearbox before sale. I cannot afford that sort of money, so even tho' it's new, I check it, along with engine oil. Thanks for the question, coz in other circumstances I might not have realised its value and importance.

I still am looking for answers on two other questions which I might as well raise:

1. the slew ring gear grease looks grey, so I presume it has picked up some metal in the machine's 9k hr. life. The service manual says there is a plate above & a plate below the gear to allow grease replacement, but there is no bottom plate that I can find. Also, grease injected into the bearing comes out from weep holes, so I assume it is not going on to lubricate the ring gear.

2. there is a vertical gap of about 15mm between the idler hub square axle and the frame track it runs in. I assume it is wear, but the service manual is silent on how much is acceptable.

JV
    Last edited by john maddock; 05-11-19 at 02:58 AM. Reason: Clarity