Thread: Climate Change

Climate Change

I had an interesting experience yesterday. Tidying up an old drawer, came across some papers with a Canadian telephone number. It turned out to be the telephone number of a lady who worked for my father and mother way back around 1950. She was born in Canada apparently but returned to Germany just before the war with her father, and survived the war, to come to England. She then moved to Alberta, and eventually married in to a family that breeds top class Aberdeen Angus.
    On impulse I found her grandsons cell number and rang him. He was taking maize silage, many weeks late, said it had never stopped raining there!
    I told him we have got a great deal drilling to do because it has never stopped raining here!
    Apart from the wonders of google and modern technology, I was just wondering if there was something in this climate change business!
    jack caley
    ps I have found a photo of her, with her family, she is now living in Mansville, Alberta! Minburn herd of Aberdeen Angus.

Re: Climate Change

Yes Jack, there is something in this climate change thing. It's been happening since the earth was created. In the past this far south was under about a mile of ice, more than once. It has also been warmer with much more CO2 in the atmosphere than there is at present, more than once. It's going to continue to cycle until the star we call the sun dies.

PS It would be a naive person that thinks humans can halt this.

Come on Jack, we have seen all extremes of weather before. Remember the Winter of '62 - '63 ? And what about the Sumer of '75 & much more severe the Summer of '76 ? And you and I are old enough to remember the Summer of '59. We will get another drought year before long and of course it will all be the fault of ruminants eating grass and then belching at both ends. Then again, it might be my fault because I burn dead timber in my log burner.

Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    Come on Jack, we have seen all extremes of weather before. Remember the Winter of '62 - '63 ? And what about the Sumer of '75 & much more severe the Summer of '76 ? And you and I are old enough to remember the Summer of '59. We will get another drought year before long and of course it will all be the fault of ruminants eating grass and then belching at both ends. Then again, it might be my fault because I burn dead timber in my log burner.
    Well, it is the second weekend of Deer season on the ease coast of this side of the pond - there is 3 or 4 inches of snow down - hasn't been enough snow to track deer this early in the season for a decade or 3.

I used the climate change heading to provoke discussion! Got it did I not!
    I still cannot get over modern life and communication, firstly to google my contact five thousand miles away, then actually talk to him in his tractor!
    All this has come about with the industrial revolution, which we all enjoy.
    However I do remember those extreme weather conditions, most of which were cold not wet, especially 1947!
    I would point out though that in a lot of those extreme weather conditions, we did not have about 26 million cars, in the U.K. And also about 100000 aircraft in the air at one time!
    jack caley

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    All this has come about with the industrial revolution, which we all enjoy. To a degree yes Jack. But we are in the middle of a digital revolution, some of which is benefitting mankind, some of which is not.
    However I do remember those extreme weather conditions, most of which were cold not wet, especially 1947! I was probably still in nappies in 1947 so it may have been wet for me rather than cold (apologies if that attempt at humour upsets anyone !)
    I would point out though that in a lot of those extreme weather conditions, we did not have about 26 million cars, in the U.K. And also about 100000 aircraft in the air at one time! Very good points there Jack. I live about 9 miles from an International airport and under the flightpath if they are using a certain runway and they are at full power when taking off at about 5,000ft and I wonder what is happening to the emissions as they pass over.
    jack caley

Today has been Remembrance Day, and I have been a little nostalgic!
    A Canberra held 1374 gallons in the fuselage and had two 300 gallon drop tanks. Normally they used that lot up in just over three hours. One day there was a panic on, an aircraft piloted by a FlLt Eric Chalk had not returned at five hours!
    He landed soon after, but the explanation was, he had been up at 55000 feet for that time, as an experiment.
    He also broke the London Rome record, but was killed later in a Valiant, which were not good aircraft.
    Only pointing out how much fuel those older engines used, they are better now with turbofans.
    jack caley

Scotland, land of the free home of the brave

This Climate Change/Extinction Rebellion BS (notice how Global Warming has been dropped) is a wealth distribution exercise.
    Unfortunately it is moving wealth from the poor to the very rich.
    Energy costs for the poorest in society are crippling, more than 30% greater than they could be, simply because of all these 'green' schemes.
    We also have a very great problem with our education system or lack of education where data is selectively chosen or ignored, misunderstood or not understood at all.
    There has always been and will always be extreme weather events but to suggest man is responsible is folly, stupid and incorrect.
    The lunatics have taken over the asylum.
    It is interesting to note that all doom laden predictions have failed to occur.
    The political class require such fear and hysteria in order to keep a hold on power.

Quote Originally Posted by LALANS View Post
    This Climate Change/Extinction Rebellion BS (notice how Global Warming has been dropped) is a wealth distribution exercise.
    Unfortunately it is moving wealth from the poor to the very rich.
    Energy costs for the poorest in society are crippling, more than 30% greater than they could be, simply because of all these 'green' schemes.
    We also have a very great problem with our education system or lack of education where data is selectively chosen or ignored, misunderstood or not understood at all.
    There has always been and will always be extreme weather events but to suggest man is responsible is folly, stupid and incorrect.
    The lunatics have taken over the asylum.
    It is interesting to note that all doom laden predictions have failed to occur.
    The political class require such fear and hysteria in order to keep a hold on power.
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...ase-alcoholism