Thread: MF35 - running problem

MF35 - running problem

Iím doing a restoration on a MF35 with an A3.152 engine, I have overhauled the engine and had the injectors serviced. When it was time to start it up I got the fuel through and it started ok,it was mis-firing a bit and smoking but I expected it would sought itself out when it had run for a few seconds, but it didnít.
    it starts from cold perfectly. Moving the timing a small amount makes no difference, but by moving it a long way anti-clockwise I can get it to a point when it will run ok, but then when it has cooled down a bit wonít start.
    I have checked that the timing marks all line up ok and the tappet settings.
    The engine ran ok before the overhaul, but could it be a problem with the injector pump ?
    I would be very grateful if anyone could help me with this, or give me details of a mobile tractor engineer in the Lincoln area who could look at it for me.
    I have got some video clips of it running if that would help.
    Thanks

Re: MF35 - running problem

Quote Originally Posted by Fez View Post
    Iím doing a restoration on a MF35 with an A3.152 engine, I have overhauled the engine and had the injectors serviced. When it was time to start it up I got the fuel through and it started ok,it was mis-firing a bit and smoking but I expected it would sought itself out when it had run for a few seconds, but it didnít.
    it starts from cold perfectly. Moving the timing a small amount makes no difference, but by moving it a long way anti-clockwise I can get it to a point when it will run ok, but then when it has cooled down a bit wonít start.
    I have checked that the timing marks all line up ok and the tappet settings.
    The engine ran ok before the overhaul, but could it be a problem with the injector pump ?
    I would be very grateful if anyone could help me with this, or give me details of a mobile tractor engineer in the Lincoln area who could look at it for me.
    I have got some video clips of it running if that would help.
    Thanks
    personally, I would start by checking the temperature of the exhaust manifold to determine which cylinder isn't firing. Then I would verify the fuel flow to the injector.

Re: MF35 - running problem

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
    personally, I would start by checking the temperature of the exhaust manifold to determine which cylinder isn't firing. Then I would verify the fuel flow to the injector.
    Thanks for reply Ironhead, Iíve carried out further investigations with your comments in mind, unfortunately itís not easy to identify exactly which cylinder the problem is on, 1 & 2 both share the same exhaust port and 3 is on its own, by removing the exhaust manifold the problem is with either 1 or 2. Iíve swapped injectors with number 3 but itís still remains the same, as far as I can see by slackening off the combustion chamber caps a similar amount of fuel is blowing from each one.
    Many thanks.