Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Modern technology!

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Holderness
    Posts
    1,011

    Modern technology!

    Just after the war, around 1946, my mother and father employed a German girl who had managed somehow to leave Germany with her sister. Apparently she had been born in Canada, before the war, had gone with her father to South America, then back to Germany, where they had managed to survive, to come to England. Apparently Father and mother lent her some money to return to Canada. There she met and married a farmer, by coincidence quite near Edmonton where my mother was brought up.
    Sorry to ramble on, but the other day I found some paper work which reminded me of her, I managed to find some telephone numbers, as they breed top class Aberdeen Angus.
    On impulse I rang a cell number, and got her grandson in a tractor, still taking maize silage, as he said it had never stopped raving over there.
    Clear as a bell he told me his grandmother is still alive and well, having retired to the nearby town.
    I am still impressed with modern technology, especially when you compare it to the time when mother at the age of six took 14 days by boat, and ten days by train to get there!
    Hope I have bored you all!
    jack caley

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,635

    Re: Modern technology!

    Brilliant story Jack. Thanks for sharing it.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Tasmania
    Posts
    1,010

    Re: Modern technology!

    Nice story Jack; "heart warming" would be a good description.

    But it is only half a story.

    Consider this: I could be sitting in a dinghy at 8:30 p.m. tonight (daylight saving) dangling a line in the d'Entrecasteaux Channel, off Bruny Island, off the Tasmanian mainland, off the continent of Australia. If I was lucky enough to catch a fish worth boasting about, I could phone a friend in the UK. He or she might also be sitting in a dinghy at 7:30 a.m. on the same day, dangling a line somewhere off an island off the mainland of the UK on the opposite side of the world. If we both had a suitably equipped iPhone (and I presume the following comments could also apply to Android phones), not only could I boast about the size of the fish in words, I could show my friend it flapping in the bottom of the boat. At the same time, I could see him in his dinghy in TV quality colour on a hunk of glass, metal & plastic, not much bigger than my hand.

    We could both contemplate the fact that we could both see and talk with each other because a stream of infinitesimally small and weird particles of light called photons were hot-footing it inside some glass thinner than one of my hairs extending more than half way round the world. Not only that, we could contemplate that the stream of photons were not all going in the same sliver of glass but any number of slivers to any number of places in the world - and yet they still end up in the correct order at the correct place i.e. our two glass screens in the correct time.

    And if were to talk and contemplate the fish for only a short time, I would have spent less than the cost of a cup of coffee.

    Modern technology? Yep!

    Contemplating such wonders makes me consider why I still have to sit in a tractor mowing grass to feed cattle when I could be boasting about a mythical fish!

    JV
    Last edited by john maddock; 04-12-19 at 10:27 AM. Reason: typos
    Agtronix - the home of the Weedswiper

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    205

    Re: Modern technology!

    Quote Originally Posted by john maddock View Post
    Nice story Jack; "heart warming" would be a good description.

    But it is only half a story.

    Consider this: I could be sitting in a dinghy at 8:30 p.m. tonight (daylight saving) dangling a line in the d'Entrecasteaux Channel, off Bruny Island, off the Tasmanian mainland, off the continent of Australia. If I was lucky enough to catch a fish worth boasting about, I could phone a friend in the UK. He or she might also be sitting in a dinghy at 7:30 a.m. on the same day, dangling a line somewhere off an island off the mainland of the UK on the opposite side of the world. If we both had a suitably equipped iPhone (and I presume the following comments could also apply to Android phones), not only could I boast about the size of the fish in words, I could show my friend it flapping in the bottom of the boat. At the same time, I could see him in his dinghy in TV quality colour on a hunk of glass, metal & plastic, not much bigger than my hand.

    We could both contemplate the fact that we could both see and talk with each other because a stream of infinitesimally small and weird particles of light called photons were hot-footing it inside some glass thinner than one of my hairs extending more than half way round the world. Not only that, we could contemplate that the stream of photons were not all going in the same sliver of glass but any number of slivers to any number of places in the world - and yet they still end up in the correct order at the correct place i.e. our two glass screens in the correct time.

    And if were to talk and contemplate the fish for only a short time, I would have spent less than the cost of a cup of coffee.

    Modern technology? Yep!

    Contemplating such wonders makes me consider why I still have to sit in a tractor mowing grass to feed cattle when I could be boasting about a mythical fish!

    JV
    Don't forget parts of that transmission are also radio waves and electronic as they are converted from one to the other and back again at various points along the journey.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Tasmania
    Posts
    1,010

    Re: Modern technology!

    Quote Originally Posted by Paw View Post
    Don't forget parts of that transmission are also radio waves and electronic as they are converted from one to the other and back again at various points along the journey.
    Good point Paw; I had not forgotten. Photons are much more sexy !
    Agtronix - the home of the Weedswiper

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    205

    Re: Modern technology!

    Quote Originally Posted by john maddock View Post
    Good point Paw; I had not forgotten. Photons are much more sexy !
    They might be but they are harder to catch. Physicists don't yet fully understand photons, they exhibit both wave and particle properties.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Footsfitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Basingstoke, Hants
    Posts
    2,706

    Re: Modern technology!

    Quote Originally Posted by john maddock View Post
    Nice story Jack; "heart warming" would be a good description.

    But it is only half a story.

    Consider this: I could be sitting in a dinghy at 8:30 p.m. tonight (daylight saving) dangling a line in the d'Entrecasteaux Channel, off Bruny Island, off the Tasmanian mainland, off the continent of Australia. If I was lucky enough to catch a fish worth boasting about, I could phone a friend in the UK. He or she might also be sitting in a dinghy at 7:30 a.m. on the same day, dangling a line somewhere off an island off the mainland of the UK on the opposite side of the world. If we both had a suitably equipped iPhone (and I presume the following comments could also apply to Android phones), not only could I boast about the size of the fish in words, I could show my friend it flapping in the bottom of the boat. At the same time, I could see him in his dinghy in TV quality colour on a hunk of glass, metal & plastic, not much bigger than my hand.

    We could both contemplate the fact that we could both see and talk with each other because a stream of infinitesimally small and weird particles of light called photons were hot-footing it inside some glass thinner than one of my hairs extending more than half way round the world. Not only that, we could contemplate that the stream of photons were not all going in the same sliver of glass but any number of slivers to any number of places in the world - and yet they still end up in the correct order at the correct place i.e. our two glass screens in the correct time.

    And if were to talk and contemplate the fish for only a short time, I would have spent less than the cost of a cup of coffee.

    Modern technology? Yep!

    Contemplating such wonders makes me consider why I still have to sit in a tractor mowing grass to feed cattle when I could be boasting about a mythical fish!

    JV
    Two points John,

    Good to see you have finally set aside the tinnies and string


    but there is a glaring hurdle you have forgotten to factor in- you would have to be selective on which UK friend you called based entirely on the network signal they may or may not have here.

    Many times, especially this summer it was galling to virtually be able to see who you were trying to call with dear old Vodafone (who proclaim to be the market leaders no less!!)

    BTW, do you still have the tinnies and string??
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Tasmania
    Posts
    1,010

    Re: Modern technology!

    BTW, do you still have the tinnies and string??

    Of course! Always have a backup ready to go!
    Agtronix - the home of the Weedswiper

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Bury St Edmunds
    Posts
    1,023

    Re: Modern technology!

    Quote Originally Posted by john maddock View Post
    BTW, do you still have the tinnies and string??

    Of course! Always have a backup ready to go!
    which brings us to the age old question, How long is a ball of string? need a good one to stretch to Tassie
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •