Thread: Chinese Inverter welders

Chinese Inverter welders

How can they send a functional and in fact quite decent welder to Europe for about 40.
    I bought an 80 one from Banggood a couple of months ago and it's been brilliant, builder friend has borrowed it and has been welding substantial RSJs in a roof ridge.
    If it only lasts six months it has paid for itself twice over already.
    http://banggood.com/220V-Portable-MM...p-1274323.html

Re: Chinese Inverter welders

Quote Originally Posted by 4wd View Post
    How can they send a functional and in fact quite decent welder to Europe for about 40.
    I bought an 80 one from Banggood a couple of months ago and it's been brilliant, builder friend has borrowed it and has been welding substantial RSJs in a roof ridge.

Some of the Chinese stuff seems to be listed by the makers on the mainland by using someone based here in the UK, stuff seems to get collated into bigger orders that are shipped here to said "agent" who forwards it on to the UK buyer. half of their battle selling stuff here is the shipping costs if flogged individually.

I wondered if the Chinese student community are the ones doing the divving out here?
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

Banggood are a big concern and have been on the go a while, they have a EU warehouse so some things can come in less than a week.
    That took about three weeks to come from CN depot and items might take a good month.
    Lately there have been some delays from Chinese ebay sellers, you might speculate it's due to HK protests as a lot of Chinese exports actually go through there at least from the adjacent techy capital Shenzen

I understand some aspects of China Post are almost hilariously dated and bureaucratic, getting through customs can still involve handcarts to ferry piles of packages from one building to another for official 'inspection'.

Quote Originally Posted by 4wd View Post
    I don't know about now, but a decade ago for a company to have their product manufactured in China, you had to "give up" total control of your Intellectual Property on the items being manufactured (this allowed them to make "knock-offs") - I think this was one of Trump's complaints behind his trade war with China.

On this side of the pond, there have been a number of "Honda knockoffs" appearing on the market in things like dirt bikes, inverter-generators, . . . showing up for the last 5 or 10 years - all manufactured in China.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
    I don't know about now, but a decade ago for a company to have their product manufactured in China, you had to "give up" total control of your Intellectual Property on the items being manufactured (this allowed them to make "knock-offs") - I think this was one of Trump's complaints behind his trade war with China.

On this side of the pond, there have been a number of "Honda knockoffs" appearing on the market in things like dirt bikes, inverter-generators, . . . showing up for the last 5 or 10 years - all manufactured in China.
    Honda knockoffs here too; known as Chondas

I'm guessing that they can produce cheap stuff for the two ancient reasons: cheap labour and volume production. My experience is with horizontal bandsaws.

I bought a Canadian designed, China made mill, through an agent in Queensland who held no stock. That was held in a warehouse in Sydney; he simply made the sale, took the money and instructed the warehouse to send what to where.

The Chinese product is available in Aus from at least two firms. The mill name and some small details are different, but I suspect they all come out of the same factory.

Why did I buy Chinese? I needed a mill and could justify (and afford) $5900. I could neither justify nor afford the US-built Woodmiser, despite it's superior design & quality coz it cost three times as much - and that was 10 years ago!

JV
    Agtronix - the home of the Weedswiper

Quote Originally Posted by john maddock View Post
    Honda knockoffs here too; known as Chondas

I'm guessing that they can produce cheap stuff for the two ancient reasons: cheap labour and volume production. My experience is with horizontal bandsaws.

I bought a Canadian designed, China made mill, through an agent in Queensland who held no stock. That was held in a warehouse in Sydney; he simply made the sale, took the money and instructed the warehouse to send what to where.

The Chinese product is available in Aus from at least two firms. The mill name and some small details are different, but I suspect they all come out of the same factory.

Why did I buy Chinese? I needed a mill and could justify (and afford) $5900. I could neither justify nor afford the US-built Woodmiser, despite it's superior design & quality coz it cost three times as much - and that was 10 years ago!

JV
    One does wonder a bit about cheap Chinese, when you hear of prisoners producing stuff for Tesco!
    jack caley

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    One does wonder a bit about cheap Chinese, when you hear of prisoners producing stuff for Tesco!
    jack caley
    That's just the latest, the bbc ran a story 2 years ago about similar in a box of halloween decorations an American woman found in 2012.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-45976946

The muddy edge of the biggest puddle in the uk

Don't think I'd want to be up an Alumnium ladder leaned against an RSJ with a chinese inverter welder slung over my shoulder! Check out John Ward's youtube channel for chinese stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by T P View Post
    Don't think I'd want to be up an Alumnium ladder leaned against an RSJ with a chinese inverter welder slung over my shoulder! Check out John Ward's youtube channel for chinese stuff.
    Why not? Not even a Chinese machine can weld Al to Fe
    Agtronix - the home of the Weedswiper

The muddy edge of the biggest puddle in the uk

When a Chinese construction workers get electrocuted the foreman just gives the job to someone else. You have to ask yourself at 40 what is the quality of the insulation on the wires etc and the answer is usually woeful. We all like a bargain but you have to draw the line somewhere regarding safety. A lot of stuff from china is not compliant with European construction law and if you have it on a site YOU are in breach of the provision and use of work regulations (PUWER) If a UK construction worker gets electrocuted it's not just a case of shouting "next", without exception somebody gets a massive fine or even goes to jail. Suddenly a decent welder looks cheap. An interesting area of the law is that even if a farmer employs a contractor that does not pass the liability all to the contractor, there have been numerous prosecutions where the farmer was found liable for not controlling his site properly, despite having contractors in to do the job. I think this is unfair but that's the way the cases have gone.