Thread: What3words

What3words

I expect most of you know about this but I haven't seen it mentioned on here before . According to my latest NFU email the ambulance service have started to use the What3word App. This is a system that has allocated a 3mt x 3mt square to every part of this planet (including the oceans ! ) and given each square a unique 3 word name. https://what3words.com/daring.lion.race

It is, in effect, a system a bit like post codes but much more definitive. I think it is an amzing tool. All couriers should be using it but consider the implications for more important stuff. You are down the fields and have a serious accident. Pick up your 'phone, find the 3 words for where you are, and tell the ambulance.

You are involved in, or are witness to, a serious motor accident. You find the 3 words and tell the ambulance (and maybe the Police have started to use it as well) Much better than trying to tell people that you are down such and such a road.

One post code covers our entire village and some properties would be much easier to find if everybody used this App.

p.s. Thanks to whoever put this Forum back up again after the outage. I do miss it when it's not available.

Re: What3words

It would certainly help couriers but I haven't seen it integrated into sat nav - style app yet? Locally our postcode is centred on a house in the valley bottom, a farm the other side you have to go well over a mile round by the road but they often come here (and vice versa).
    Another issue for them many houses in the village don't have name outside or it's unclear, no numbers of course.
    Through the day it's often all but deserted too.
    They like farmer's local knowledge.

There are various map options (top left) and one is Tom Tom. Although it doesn't show post codes it ought to be possible to work from that. Maybe a combination of post code to get you to an approximate position and then W3W to get you to the exact spot. But just imagine a controller taking a cal from someone who has fallen out of a tree miles from anywhere. The controller would see that it was a long way from a road and realise that it's a helicopter job. All sorts of permutations are possible.

Brilliant. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    I expect most of you know about this but I haven't seen it mentioned on here before . According to my latest NFU email the ambulance service have started to use the What3word App. This is a system that has allocated a 3mt x 3mt square to every part of this planet (including the oceans ! ) and given each square a unique 3 word name. https://what3words.com/daring.lion.race

It is, in effect, a system a bit like post codes but much more definitive. I think it is an amzing tool. All couriers should be using it but consider the implications for more important stuff. You are down the fields and have a serious accident. Pick up your 'phone, find the 3 words for where you are, and tell the ambulance.

You are involved in, or are witness to, a serious motor accident. You find the 3 words and tell the ambulance (and maybe the Police have started to use it as well) Much better than trying to tell people that you are down such and such a road.

One post code covers our entire village and some properties would be much easier to find if everybody used this App.

p.s. Thanks to whoever put this Forum back up again after the outage. I do miss it when it's not available.
    so, the app uses the GPS on your phone to give you a code that you give to emergency services who uses the code to tell them the GPS reading from your phone.
    On this side of the pond, when you call emergency services (911 - police, fire, ambulance) they just read your GPS readings directly from your phone

PS: I agree in putting forth the Thank You to those involved in getting the forum back up

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
    so, the app uses the GPS on your phone to give you a code that you give to emergency services who uses the code to tell them the GPS reading from your phone.
    On this side of the pond, when you call emergency services (911 - police, fire, ambulance) they just read your GPS readings directly from your phone

PS: I agree in putting forth the Thank You to those involved in getting the forum back up
    But suppose someone is using a land-line ? If someone (a younger relative) has given their folks the 3 words they can then tell emergency services if they need to call them.

But suppose someone is using a land-line ? If someone (a younger relative) has given their folks the 3 words they can then tell emergency services if they need to call them.
    In the same way as they can pick up the GPS settings of a cell phone, they know where every land line is located by the telephone number - they do, however, have a problem with VOIP (telephone services through cable tv providers)

I'm not trying to be awkward here but what about this scenario ? I'm way down the fields ( or on another farm ) but don't have an i-phone. But I can 'phone back to the house & tell the good lady that I'm in the Long Meadow. She will know where I am and can either tell the medics when they get here or look it all up on her iPad and give the medics the 3 words.

I concur about BFF coming back!
    I had withdrawal symptoms!
    jack caley

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    I concur about BFF coming back!
    I had withdrawal symptoms!
    jack caley
    You and I and a few others have stuck with it Jack. I do look at the other side - after I've looked on here !

I'm not trying to be awkward here but what about this scenario ? I'm way down the fields ( or on another farm ) but don't have an i-phone. But I can 'phone back to the house & tell the good lady that I'm in the Long Meadow. She will know where I am and can either tell the medics when they get here or look it all up on her iPad and give the medics the 3 words.
    "'phone back to the house" - unless you are using a 2-way radio system, recently current smart phones and cell phones all provide their GPS location - on this side of the pond, they do NOT permit analog cell or analog landlines anymore - it all has to be digital. i am not sure if the UK still permits analog devices.

besides, if you are down in the field someone has to open the right gate

I did look at the link and I noticed there are a lot of communities going to this app - on this side of the pond we have been striving for a few decades to have provincial coordination for emergency services - In my province there are only half a dozen police forces and all are able to interconnect their radio systems, the ambulance service is provincially controlled and the fire services are increasingly using radio systems which are interconnect-able. They all use the same group of 911 call centers and have a provincial trunked radio system which has better coverage than either of the two cellular networks.

What might help make this happen is we only have about 750k people so we are forced to share and piggy-back when someone else has an initiative that makes sense to others.

have a good one

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
    besides, if you are down in the field someone has to open the right gate Not if they arrive by chopper.

have a good one
    You have a good one too.

It is a very useful app. Not only can you use it for emergency situations but you can also mark areas of interest to return to or avoid, such as marking ground nesting birds, or where you lost/put something down.

I too thank the person for getting the forum up and running again.

Pre W3W days.
    Few years ago I had the misfortune to break my leg out in the fields, on my own .
    Fortunately I had a mobile with me.
    Decision....do I dial 999, or someone else to get help for me.
    Dialled someone else....looking back the chances of relaying directions to where I was in the fields to an Ambulance crew via the call centre would have been poor.
    W3W would certainly have worked for me in the circumstances.
    There are rumours....that the emergency services can locate you via your mobile location....some organisations say you can rely on it some say not....there is no strong consensus.
    Sadly W3W or something similar is not universally adopted....something a newly elected government could organise....bit like putting some funding into the Air Ambulance system...it is a farce that they rely on voluntary donations.
    Bit of an aside....unfortunate that the ambulance services are not supplied with same engine spec in the vehicles that they use in those supplied the the “White Van Men” .
    Never seen a Blue light flashing Ambulance yet and thought...Wow that’s going some speed.....
    Whereas “White Van Man”...

W
    Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    Pre W3W days.
    Few years ago I had the misfortune to break my leg out in the fields, on my own .
    Fortunately I had a mobile with me.
    Decision....do I dial 999, or someone else to get help for me.
    Dialled someone else....looking back the chances of relaying directions to where I was in the fields to an Ambulance crew via the call centre would have been poor.
    W3W would certainly have worked for me in the circumstances.
    There are rumours....that the emergency services can locate you via your mobile location....some organisations say you can rely on it some say not....there is no strong consensus.
    Sadly W3W or something similar is not universally adopted....something a newly elected government could organise....bit like putting some funding into the Air Ambulance system...it is a farce that they rely on voluntary donations.
    Bit of an aside....unfortunate that the ambulance services are not supplied with same engine spec in the vehicles that they use in those supplied the the “White Van Men” .
    Never seen a Blue light flashing Ambulance yet and thought...Wow that’s going some speed.....
    Whereas “White Van Man”...
    My experience of emergency ambulances is that the suspension is so hard, you do not want them to speed too much even you are dying!(which you will do, some day.
    Happy Christmas everybody!
    jack caley

Steady 50mph down the A1....it was rattling like a half empty tool box.
    Had White van hired a couple of months ago.....no rattles, no squeaks....main problem was keeping it under the speed limits..