Thread: Happy New Year!

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year to you all!
    Where are you all? Gone skiiing or something?
    Nobody to argue with!
    jack caley

Re: Happy New Year!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    Nobody to argue with!
    jack caley
    Not fair Jack! Not New Year yet! I'm here and I usually get the first good wishes in coz I'm usually first to see the actual new year - or are the Kiwi members (are there any?) just being slack? ( I won't mention the cricket -oops lost control of my fingers. Sorry!).

JV
    Agtronix - the home of the Weedswiper

Apparently is was yesterday so, Happy new year.

Quote Originally Posted by Paw View Post
    Nah! Nice idea, but it doesn't apply in Straya, where climate change isn't happening either!

JV

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    Nobody to argue with!
    jack caley
    The only b***dy skiing I could do round here is water skiing ! Happy New Year Jack and to all on here. The terrible tragedy that is happening in your country John is usually first item on the news over here. We are told that lives have been lost. Please stay safe - all of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Paw View Post
    Accountants - almost as bad as lawyers

Personally, I am headed to Lincoln, Maine, USA fro a New Years Eve Birthday Party for a friend, so I will make an early wish - Happy New year and don't drink too many of those "silly" pops

An advanced Happy New year- will be off out later with friends to celebrate so it now or much later tomorrow!!

Do well.
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

Since it *is* New Year here in Straya, I can formally wish all members and readers - wherever you are - the best for 2020.

As ff said, "Do well". Perhaps he would allow me to add my current email sigline to his exhortation: "Be a good ancestor".

JV

Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    The only b***dy skiing I could do round here is water skiing ! Happy New Year Jack and to all on here. The terrible tragedy that is happening in your country John is usually first item on the news over here. We are told that lives have been lost. Please stay safe - all of you.
    Hello Zaza. Thank you for best wishes.

Your news reports are correct. I occasionally hear "World Report" from the BBC on our Newsradio station, and its reporting is accurate. The most disturbing of those deaths was of a young volunteer who was driving a fire truck which was blown over by a wind gust. There are facts I have not heard reported about this death e.g was he wearing a seat belt, was it a light truck (Landcruiser/Hilux ) or a heavy tanker, coz some reports say there were two other men in the cab, and that the truck was blown over end on, the others surviving.

Whatever the case, it is now being recognised that these fires are so fierce that they are creating their own weather in the form of pyrocumulous clouds which create lightning, adding to the chaos and destruction.

There can be no doubt that climate change is at the core of these conflagrations, and it seems to me that many of those who are "deniers" are confusing weather with climate. There is a wide-spread and record-breaking drought; there are more dry lightning strikes starting fires than have ever been recorded and the resultant fire storms are creating their own perpetuating weather in a positive feedback loop.

South eastern Australia, as well as parts of south western Australia share the world's worst risk of bushfires with California. I'm not sure of the circumstances in Ca., but eucalypts here are a fire climax vegetation. Some have evolved to be highly dependent on fire to regenerate, i.e. the heat of the fire starts the process of bursting their seed capsules, the seed falling into an ash bed with no competitors' seeds. Indeed, some eucs have strips of bark hanging down to lead the fire into their crowns where the majority of mature seed is located.

A "crown" fire is a frightening thing. The eucalyptus oils are volatile and are often blown ahead of the fire front by the wind. I have video of clouds of oil flaring hundreds of metres ahead of the main fire as they catch fire; the noise is immense.

Mixed up in all this is the wish of many Australians to live in bushland areas. In many ways, it's like swimming in a tank of hungry sharks, coz sooner or later there will be trouble! For some years now, the National Construction Code has required new houses in such places (including open farmland) to have a BAL (Bushfire Attack Level) rating to ensure that the risk of damage or destruction is minimised by better design and construction standards. I can see the day arriving when insurance companies will declare buildings and locations with high BALs as uninsurable; already our insurance premiums have begun to rise.

I have to wonder at the relative lack of reporting about the effect on wildlife. When mega-fires cover tens of thousands of hectares, how can the wildlife, from insects up, escape? And how can those who are fortunate enough to somehow escape live when there is no food? The media seldom mentions such things.

I used to think that James Lovelock's Gaia Hypothesis was the result of an over-active imagination. Now I wonder if Gaia is actually ridding herself of human lice.

JV

PS, the latest reporting (0630 EADT, 1/1/2020): https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/nati...20-%2020200101
    Last edited by john maddock; 31-12-19 at 09:07 PM. Reason: More info.

Wishing all readers a Happy and Healthy New Year.

My thoughts are with all people affected by strife, whether natural or human made.

Gaia saw off the dinosaurs so why not homo sapiens.

Quote Originally Posted by Barney View Post
    Wishing all readers a Happy and Healthy New Year.

My thoughts are with all people affected by strife, whether natural or human made.

Gaia saw off the dinosaurs so why not homo sapiens.
    I thought it was an asteroid that did for Diplodocus
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

Quote Originally Posted by Exfarmer View Post
    I thought it was an asteroid that did for Diplodocus
    She had a little help from friends.