Thread: forklift

forklift

can anyone on here help with an old lpg komatsu forklift i bought as a non runner, nissan/datsun engine, this was due to stuck valves in the cylinder head, i have sorted this but the spark is very weak so i wish to renew all the electric components, there are two types of ignition coil avalible to buy, one has a ballast resistor the other type doesnt, how can i tell what type of coil i have, there is no writing on it

Re: forklift

Quote Originally Posted by aleary View Post
    can anyone on here help with an old lpg komatsu forklift i bought as a non runner, nissan/datsun engine, this was due to stuck valves in the cylinder head, i have sorted this but the spark is very weak so i wish to renew all the electric components, there are two types of ignition coil avalible to buy, one has a ballast resistor the other type doesnt, how can i tell what type of coil i have, there is no writing on it
    Blimey, were going back in technology now!

IIRC a coil with a ballast resistor was commonly used on ignition systems where the coil runs through the resistor but starts with the power applied direct to the coils primary winding.

Or explained like this- they use say a 6v coil which with 12v applied to the ballast resistor supplies the primary windings with 6v when its running. To assist starting, ie give a better spark the wiring loom is configured to supply a direct 12v after the resistor which is supplied by the switch terminal to the starter motor, when the switch is released and (hopefully) the engine is running the switch/coil is back feeding the resistor. Using a lower voltage coil needs the resistor to avoid the coil from burning out.

Have a look at the wiring on the forklift and see if there is a second switched supply?

Before you go replacing stuff have you gone through the wiring and connections on the ign circuit? a poor connection/earth in the coil, points, distributor or a duff condensor can be the reason behind a poor spark as can the ignition leads especially if they are carbon cored or have suppressed plug caps or the plugs have an inbuilt resistor or cracked insulator or the rotor cap or arm is tracking?
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

i will try and see if there is a second power supply, im not a mechanic and figuring out wiring is not something im good at,where would the second power supply run? would the resistor be inside the coil or under the dash somewhere, i cant see any unit except a round box with flasher on it, one of the wires to it is broken, would this be for indicators? there are none on it and it is not road legal, have changed rotor arm, plugs, condenser so far, need to get leads, bought points which i thought were for the right distributor but they are slightly different, cant see any part numbers on the points, it is not easy to find any parts online for this machine! the head is still off hopefully get it back together soon cant check spark really until that is done

usually they look like this -

with the ballast clipped on the side of the coil or on the chassis somewhere.

Have aread of this handy explanation and guide to testing to see if you have a resistor in line somewhere-

https://www.burtonpower.com/tuning-g...n-systems.html

Quote Originally Posted by Footsfitter View Post
    usually they look like this -

with the ballast clipped on the side of the coil or on the chassis somewhere.

Have aread of this handy explanation and guide to testing to see if you have a resistor in line somewhere-

https://www.burtonpower.com/tuning-g...n-systems.html
    That looks a lot like the ones Dodge used on its cars and trucks in the 1970s - vehicle would work great, turn the vehicle off and 10 seconds later no spark. most people carried a spare with them.

sorry for the late reply not sure if anyone still following this, got the fork going now, it was two stuck valves in the cylinder head that was the problem, stripped head, cleaned valves, new head gasket, spark plugs, coil and it fired right up for me, steering is a little heavy and tilting the forks forward causes it to strain, tilting back and forks up down is fine, is there a filter in the hydraulic system?

sorry for the late reply not sure if anyone still following this, got the fork going now, it was two stuck valves in the cylinder head that was the problem, stripped head, cleaned valves, new head gasket, spark plugs, coil and it fired right up for me, steering is a little heavy and tilting the forks forward causes it to strain, tilting back and forks up down is fine, is there a filter in the hydraulic system?
    Not unusual for the mast tilt to have restrictor(s) in the ram ports to make their operation steady. Some may be restricted in one direction but often its in both directions. The Steering could be a different issue if they have designed it as an entirely separate circuit or if it has its own pressure relief protection?

have removed the cover on top of the hydraulic tank where the pipes go in, there is a large screw on metal filter on the inlet will try and source one of these, on further investigation the steering is not hydraulic only manual steering box will try and get this all greased up and see if it improves, need to change oil in torque convertor and front axle too will these have filters?

have removed the cover on top of the hydraulic tank where the pipes go in, there is a large screw on metal filter on the inlet will try and source one of these, on further investigation the steering is not hydraulic only manual steering box will try and get this all greased up and see if it improves, need to change oil in torque convertor and front axle too will these have filters?
    Older suction screens were often all metal, later ones mostly became like these here-

https://www.flowfitonline.com/hydrau...er-fs110b2t125

Usually the torque converter is supplied from the transmission which may have both a suction screen built into where the transmission pump draws from and also there will be an in-line filter somewhere depending on the design/make of transmission.

The front (drive) axle will probably just have a conventional crown wheel and pinion differential so it may be a simple gear oil of some kind with maybe a magnet on the drain bung?