Thread: hydraulics bomford

finger bar cutter

Hi first post. has anyone knowledge of hydraulics, I have acquired a cutter head the motor is a omm 32, that I think means 32 cubic centimeters,
    I have a old sapper bomford, I would like to know if I can use the finger bar on the Bomford,
    I don't know the flow rate at a given pto speed for this motor, will the flow of oil be to much for this omm 32 motor,
    and can the flow be adjusted to suit the flow from the bomford to this small motor.
    Thanks in advance.

hydraulics bomford

hi is this correct for the flow and return
    The pump line is going to the tank side of the pressure and return block.
    and the pressure line goes to what seems to be a filter.
    is this right or have they been assembled wrong.
    see pics

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][url=https://pohttps://i.postimg.cc/bGvq[IMG][/IMG]tJBh/IMG-20200115-115244.jpg[/img][[IMG][/IMG]/url]

Re: finger bar cutter

Quote Originally Posted by fandm View Post
    Hi first post. has anyone knowledge of hydraulics, I have acquired a cutter head the motor is a omm 32, that I think means 32 cubic centimeters,
    I have a old sapper bomford, I would like to know if I can use the finger bar on the Bomford,
    I don't know the flow rate at a given pto speed for this motor, will the flow of oil be to much for this omm 32 motor,
    and can the flow be adjusted to suit the flow from the bomford to this small motor.
    Thanks in advance.

Hi, I've put both of your posts together as it seems that are both about the same machine?

I'm guessing that "Sapper Bomford" is just the old makers name, a model name or number would of been helpful, but assuming it is an old flail hedgetrimmer then its pretty safe to say that the OMM32 motor will be way too small if driven by the Bomfords pump. It is possible that you could run the pto at very low speeds in an attempt to reduce the oil flow enough to make the OMM32 run at or near the required speed. It would also be possible to fit some sort of flow control valve to limit the OMM32's speed and its also possible if there is some sort of belt or chain drive between the OMM32 and cutterbar to change the gearing and reduce the final speed somewhat.
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

Re: hydraulics bomford

Quote Originally Posted by fandm View Post
    hi is this correct for the flow and return
    The pump line is going to the tank side of the pressure and return block.
    and the pressure line goes to what seems to be a filter.
    is this right or have they been assembled wrong.
    see pics

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][url=https://pohttps://i.postimg.cc/bGvq[IMG][/IMG]tJBh/IMG-20200115-115244.jpg[/img][[IMG][/IMG]/url]

I assume the big hose going into the side of the hydraulic pump is the suction hose in your drawing that loops in a U and connects to the tank? If this is connected below the oil level with a suction screen in the tank to a fitting on the side of the tank, then this would be correct.

Your filter as in the picture should have the return oil coming down the flexible hose to the left side of the filter housing which should have something like "Inlet" or an arrow pointing into the filter? The RH side of the filter should have "Outlet" or an arrow pointing out of the filter housing - in your machine it is connected to that steel elbow and sweeps into the tank (where usually the pipe outlet will be below the oil level to help reduce foaming/aerating of the oil)

Your drawing if correct shows these 2 hoses connecting to a block valve? The valves markings is if as shown in your drawing look to be the wrong way round?
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......