Thread: IH 2500 / 574 questions

IH 2500 / 574 questions

Hi everyone Iím a brand spammer to the forum but could not find a a new blokes thread so I jumped straight in.

Right so I know my way around old tractors pretty good, but I have no idea about any of the IH stuff. Iím of the understanding that the 2500 is the same as the 574 engine wise are least? This is Probably the first place I have let myself down.

Anyway so I have seen I 2500/574 ex council tractor for sale which has been privately owned for a long time and by the current owner for at least 10 years only 2500 hours on it and from what I have read the IH diesels are dependable engines.

All the bloke has done with it is top his 4 acre field. But there is an water leak on in as the oil and water is mixing. But it hasnít been run with the leak/ mix

So every time he used to cut his grass he would put a ltr of water in the rad so it used a bit of water, he doesnít not know why and that there are no visible leaks.

He would run it up to temp in the winter when it was sat doing nothing, obviously as he has continued to do this there was no antifreeze left in it as itís just been topped up with water all the while.
    Come the late winter in 2018 back end of all that poxy snow he went to run it up to working temp, but before he started it he topped up the water in the rad, this time it took a lot more than 1 ltr and that it was a mixed milky colour. he filled it and filled it and said he saw oil coming from the oil breather pipe? So filled the sump with water Iím thinking.

He suspects a crack in the block.
    Sorry for the long old scene setting, but I have read a lot about the liners going porus and failing.
    Basically with what Iím asking what do you reckon? Crack in the block or shot liners?
    I know I wonít be able to know for sure until the head and sump are off if I buy it.

Really just asking for the expert advice of the IH guys I have been reading posts of.

Cheers Dan

Re: IH 2500 / 574 questions

Hi Dandd and welcome to the forum.......
    Never heard of a 2500 but Google sorted that!Just an industrial 574 as you said.
    There are o rings at the bottom of the liners that become hard through time,and will let water past. Also,the groove they sit in becomes corroded with the same outcome. Probably would need a block if it's at this stage. There are 4 core plugs on top of the head,under the rocker shaft,so if you remove the rocker cover and fill with water,you may see if any are leaking or perhaps popped out. Best bet is to remove the rocker cover and sump and pressurise the radiator.You should be able to see where the leak is.

Thanks for the reply and thank for the welcome.
    i have often read threads but never signed up.
    i had failed core plugs on an old Allis Chalmers b last year. Easy little fix, flipping heck that would be a result if that was the case. If not I wonder how easy it is to come by a used block for that series of engine? As soon as he found the leak at least he drained the whole system and the oil.
    so there will be plenty of advice for the rebuild if it happens through the forum?

Quote Originally Posted by Dandd View Post
    Thanks for the reply and thank for the welcome.
    i have often read threads but never signed up.
    i had failed core plugs on an old Allis Chalmers b last year. Easy little fix, flipping heck that would be a result if that was the case. If not I wonder how easy it is to come by a used block for that series of engine? As soon as he found the leak at least he drained the whole system and the oil.
    so there will be plenty of advice for the rebuild if it happens through the forum?
    I don't know about the IH block in question but all may not be lost if the base of the block where the crankcase orings is damaged. We had this problem with a CAT 3304 block out of our elderly shovel for which our supplier kept an exchange block that had been machined to take a short sleeve to bring it back to as new

This is damage to our block where muck and vibration had corroded away where the seals go

Unfortunately I didn't photograph the exchange block before the rebuild, but here you can see the bottom of the liner and the piston skirt, the repair sleeve you can't see because there is a ledge left to support and stop the sleeve dropping through into the crankcase.

It really needs someone familiar with your engine, either a machine shop or engineer who's done a lot of work on them.
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

As Agrimax suggested remove the sump and you might see what is going on. We had a 674 years ago that let coolant into the sump. The o rings had failed.

Cheers guys. I thought as much. Another possible rebuild then can I be bothered??? Half way through a Leyland 154 engine rebuild

Hi, I wonder if it may have started as a problem with the liners or o rings which then became a cracked block because of the diluted antifreeze? Check for signs of cracking at the top of the block, just below the head gasket on the injector pump side, this is a known weak spot. There is a good post on this forum from 2011 entitled 'IH 674 engine probs' which includes pictures. Gwynedd farm machinery currently have a D239 block on e-bay for £300.

Thanks for the advice
    I wonít know anything before having a proper look. But good to know thereís blocks available out there