Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 36

Thread: Free at last

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    County Down
    Posts
    46

    Free at last

    At the risk of antagonizing 48% of other readers !

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northumbrialand
    Posts
    1,538

    Re: Free at last

    Quote Originally Posted by Etcetera View Post
    At the risk of antagonizing 48% of other readers !
    Looking forward to being part of the “Free State”?

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    County Down
    Posts
    46

    Re: Free at last

    Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    Looking forward to being part of the “Free State”?
    Yes. UK is a "Free State " now, no longer governed by Brussels Bureaucrats !

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northumbrialand
    Posts
    1,538

    Re: Free at last

    No the one just down the road!

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Bury St Edmunds
    Posts
    1,046

    Re: Free at last

    Quote Originally Posted by Etcetera View Post
    Yes. UK is a "Free State " now, no longer governed by Brussels Bureaucrats !
    Not if Boris gets his Canada deal or even a Norway style deal, then we shall really be law takers and not law makers!
    And then we will have Carrie and her merry band of Animals rights activist friends along with Greta and her lunatic pals given free reign.
    I just pray Boris moves on to a new floozy before she can wreck Havoc.
    Is their no idealist Farmers daughter willing to step up to the plate and displace Boris's paramour

    I rather suspect our fate is far worse than that though, when the tide changes in the north back to its labour roots probably in five years when disenchantment has set in, if the hard left have hung on to control in Labour the country will be back to the 70's with a bang.
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Holderness
    Posts
    1,049

    Re: Free at last

    Somehow, I have an odd, sad feeling as to how the whole Brexit thing has progressed!
    I deplore the triumphalism of some. I respect the opinion of the remainders.
    One thing, Boris, I believe is adopting the right attitude, in appealing for everyone to get together and make it work.
    We have freedom in a democratic state, and we have a long way to go to become a successful state again, after all the ravages of the European system.

    Let us bury our differences and work for the common good.
    jack caley

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Bury St Edmunds
    Posts
    1,046

    Re: Free at last

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    Somehow, I have an odd, sad feeling as to how the whole Brexit thing has progressed!
    I deplore the triumphalism of some. I respect the opinion of the remainders.
    One thing, Boris, I believe is adopting the right attitude, in appealing for everyone to get together and make it work.
    We have freedom in a democratic state, and we have a long way to go to become a successful state again, after all the ravages of the European system.

    Let us bury our differences and work for the common good.
    jack caley
    Absolutely right Jack
    As a committed retainer I recognised once Boris won on his ticket the game was up and it was no longer any good campaigning for another vote.
    We all have to work together to make things work.
    I have no interest at all in either running the country down or working against the national interest.
    However I do deplore the idea promoted by some Brexiteers that the retainers were in any not working in the countries best interest.
    The one fear I do still have is the attitude of some winding up those with the reins of power in Europe is not going to help negotiations in any way.
    Going in to a car dealership and accusing them of being w******s never got anyone a good deal!
    I do fear that the negotiators will be extremely tough as they do not want the other countries to think they too will be better off out.
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    NI
    Posts
    488

    Re: Free at last

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    Let us bury our differences and work for the common good.

    jack caley
    Excellent sentiment Mr Caley.

    No triumphalism, no dejection, no bitterness, we all need to move forward for the good of the country, and therefore ultimately ourselves.

    As for Northern Ireland, don't believe the hype, I honestly believe that whatever the Scots do Northern Ireland will be remain part of the UK for quite some time.

    What we do need to be prepared to do though, is hold out a hand of help and friendship to our Southern neighbours as the EU tears itself apart. We may indeed have closer ties with the RoI in future but in a different way to that anticipated!

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northumbrialand
    Posts
    1,538

    Re: Free at last

    How many Sacred Cows is Boris prepared to sacrifice?
    All too often we hear the phrase in connection with Brexit and life after... “ahh such and such cannot happen because of such and such”.
    This is not meant in a confrontational way....but I believe nothing will be allowed to stand in the way of Boris’s pursuit of a Free Market independent nation.
    Those that fall by the wayside will be seen as justifiable collateral damage in the pursuit of a free market economy....
    Restricting food imports because they are produced to a lower standard....forget it....cheapest first will be the rule, buy shares in Wetherspoons.....profits are going to leap there...in fact any similar food business.
    Sugar.....Cane Sugar from outside the EU tariff area will decimate UK sugar beet production. Slave labour to produce it? Who cares! It’s cheaper!
    Anything being seen as the least bit protectionist will be called into question, no doubt dressed up as a palatable solution to the the countries problems.
    Boris has promised to be radical.....
    I think we have little comprehension just how radical it could turn out to be.....
    Think of Sacred Cows that cost the ”English” I must emphasis the use of the word English...government large sums of tax payers money, that are currently government funded or have become part of the “ahh, nothing can be done here because of the implications elsewhere”.
    Future support for UK Agriculture is a classic example , support for next year or two just the same,....blah, blah, blah, then slowly everything begins to descend into ”Smoke and Mirrors” territory.
    The cash is there, of course it is....just you ain’t going to be getting it.
    As I said not being confrontational, just realistic.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Holderness
    Posts
    1,049

    Re: Free at last

    Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    How many Sacred Cows is Boris prepared to sacrifice?
    All too often we hear the phrase in connection with Brexit and life after... “ahh such and such cannot happen because of such and such”.
    This is not meant in a confrontational way....but I believe nothing will be allowed to stand in the way of Boris’s pursuit of a Free Market independent nation.
    Those that fall by the wayside will be seen as justifiable collateral damage in the pursuit of a free market economy....
    Restricting food imports because they are produced to a lower standard....forget it....cheapest first will be the rule, buy shares in Wetherspoons.....profits are going to leap there...in fact any similar food business.
    Sugar.....Cane Sugar from outside the EU tariff area will decimate UK sugar beet production. Slave labour to produce it? Who cares! It’s cheaper!
    Anything being seen as the least bit protectionist will be called into question, no doubt dressed up as a palatable solution to the the countries problems.
    Boris has promised to be radical.....
    I think we have little comprehension just how radical it could turn out to be.....
    Think of Sacred Cows that cost the ”English” I must emphasis the use of the word English...government large sums of tax payers money, that are currently government funded or have become part of the “ahh, nothing can be done here because of the implications elsewhere”.
    Future support for UK Agriculture is a classic example , support for next year or two just the same,....blah, blah, blah, then slowly everything begins to descend into ”Smoke and Mirrors” territory.
    The cash is there, of course it is....just you ain’t going to be getting it.
    As I said not being confrontational, just realistic.
    Gee,
    please do not be offended, I have a great respect for your point of view, especially in the past, and you could have been quite correct then as now!
    I did know of course that you come from Northumberland, but just out of curiosity, I looked up your profile!
    Like me, your profile says you have no friends as yet!
    I wonder how many friends we are going to keep over the next few years.
    However, I do think there is a lot of truth in what you say, We ARE ALL DOOMED!
    But then has not the EU done a lot to destroy our industries anyway? I can think of pigs, fishing, car industry etc etc.
    We shall see!
    jack caley

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northumbrialand
    Posts
    1,538

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Bury St Edmunds
    Posts
    1,046

    Re: Free at last

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    Gee,
    please do not be offended, I have a great respect for your point of view, especially in the past, and you could have been quite correct then as now!
    I did know of course that you come from Northumberland, but just out of curiosity, I looked up your profile!
    Like me, your profile says you have no friends as yet!
    I wonder how many friends we are going to keep over the next few years.
    However, I do think there is a lot of truth in what you say, We ARE ALL DOOMED!
    But then has not the EU done a lot to destroy our industries anyway? I can think of pigs, fishing, car industry etc etc.
    We shall see!
    jack caley
    Jack
    it was never the EU which killed the pig industry, that is one industry where there blame can be laid entirely at the door of Westminster
    their pandering to the welfare fanatics resulting in the pig industry being forced to move outside while leaving their competition free to produce far cheaper pork at will meant that it was inevitable the industry was doomed.
    I think you will also find the UK car industry was doomed before we even joined the EU, perhaps age has robbed you of the memories of Red Robbo!
    You are also unaware that in recent years the UK car production has exceeded the glory days of the 1960's, and this has been produced by companies which have actually made money!
    And the fishing industry, well the UK never really did much fishing in their own waters preferring the colder waters up north that the cod UK consumer thought was the only fish worth eating, inhabit.
    Our waters were considered a small price to pay for the Government of the day to sacrifice to join the EU, Note our government
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Holderness
    Posts
    1,049

    Re: Free at last

    Quote Originally Posted by Exfarmer View Post
    Jack
    it was never the EU which killed the pig industry, that is one industry where there blame can be laid entirely at the door of Westminster
    their pandering to the welfare fanatics resulting in the pig industry being forced to move outside while leaving their competition free to produce far cheaper pork at will meant that it was inevitable the industry was doomed.
    I think you will also find the UK car industry was doomed before we even joined the EU, perhaps age has robbed you of the memories of Red Robbo!
    You are also unaware that in recent years the UK car production has exceeded the glory days of the 1960's, and this has been produced by companies which have actually made money!
    And the fishing industry, well the UK never really did much fishing in their own waters preferring the colder waters up north that the cod UK consumer thought was the only fish worth eating, inhabit.
    Our waters were considered a small price to pay for the Government of the day to sacrifice to join the EU, Note our government
    You are of course correct that our government, especially Richard Body, opened the gates of our market to Europe. If I was being a bit cynical, I would say they did it by ignoring what they trumpet so much now, of matching welfare and regulations!
    You are of course right about the car industry making money, but I wonder where those profits go?
    I agree we have been self destructive as a nation, e.g. The loss of Scunthorpe steel. China will close that eventually.
    I once sat in a meeting in Italy of a group of manufacturers. They were all sat seriously around a table discussing how best to take advantage of a £300 million preproduction loan for export. Could you ever see that from any British government?
    We tried to start manufacturing or assembling the Caravaggi then. It was totally impossible, from either government or banks. Do you remember no help for Ransomes combines?
    jack caley

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northumbrialand
    Posts
    1,538

    Re: Free at last

    Always difficult to come terms with Italy.....
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corruption_in_Italy

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Holderness
    Posts
    1,049

    Re: Free at last

    Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    Always difficult to come terms with Italy.....
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corruption_in_Italy
    Thanks for that lead Gee, an interesting lead!
    over nearly forty years of dealing with Italy I have experienced quite a bit of their methods!
    It also depends on how you define corruption!
    Is corruption bus loads of Irishmen coming to England to buy any sort of machinery, just to get rid of Irish punts when they joined the euro?
    Is corruption placing your money overseas, like the Isle of Man, Guernsey, or even Barbados?
    I have seen the Mafia at work in Italy, it actually did a lot for the local economy!
    We do have this particular British stiff upper lip attitude to corruption, but is accepting luck money at Hexham mart exactly straight?
    Regrettably in other parts of the world, corruption is the only way forward! One of my sons was trying to create a seafood business from an African state. He had an interview with a minister of the government there, through an intermediary. They presented themselves at the ministers office,walked through the door, the minister remained wordless! However, on depositing a heap of banknotes on his desk, he then found his voice!
    The point is if you do not give, someone else will!
    A certain Newcastle architect years ago built the Hull market before he he went to jail for being on the take!
    Its a great world!
    jack caley

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northumbrialand
    Posts
    1,538

    Re: Free at last

    Think this is a little different to taking a quid or two of luck money...
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a9285096.html

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northumbrialand
    Posts
    1,538

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,249

    Re: Free at last

    Quote Originally Posted by Exfarmer View Post
    Jack
    it was never the EU which killed the pig industry, that is one industry where there blame can be laid entirely at the door of Westminster
    their pandering to the welfare fanatics resulting in the pig industry being forced to move outside while leaving their competition free to produce far cheaper pork at will meant that it was inevitable the industry was doomed.
    I think you will also find the UK car industry was doomed before we even joined the EU, perhaps age has robbed you of the memories of Red Robbo!
    You are also unaware that in recent years the UK car production has exceeded the glory days of the 1960's, and this has been produced by companies which have actually made money!
    And the fishing industry, well the UK never really did much fishing in their own waters preferring the colder waters up north that the cod UK consumer thought was the only fish worth eating, inhabit.
    Our waters were considered a small price to pay for the Government of the day to sacrifice to join the EU, Note our government
    The car companies are not UK owned are they?
    Not just the unions to blame for the car industry (and others for that matter) during the 60 and 70s. Some seriously poor management and decisions.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northumbrialand
    Posts
    1,538

    Re: Free at last

    The power of uncooperative union nutters completely defeated any attempts at decent management. Scarce as it may have been.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Holderness
    Posts
    1,049

    Re: Free at last

    Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    The power of uncooperative union nutters completely defeated any attempts at decent management. Scarce as it may have been.
    The automotive industry crucially must depend on continuous development and innovation. Whilst the management were fighting union battles they were sidetracked, which was a pity because they had evolved some forward thinking models, the Austin maxi, the 1800, the mini, all were great and would benefitted from improvement.
    I am a hypocrite really because ever since I have bought German VW,s!
    We have seen a gradual decline ever since it was thought we could live on financial services, a mistake. We. Import far too much of all types.
    jack caley

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Bury St Edmunds
    Posts
    1,046

    Re: Free at last

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    The automotive industry crucially must depend on continuous development and innovation. Whilst the management were fighting union battles they were sidetracked, which was a pity because they had evolved some forward thinking models, the Austin maxi, the 1800, the mini, all were great and would benefitted from improvement.
    I am a hypocrite really because ever since I have bought German VW,s!
    We have seen a gradual decline ever since it was thought we could live on financial services, a mistake. We. Import far too much of all types.
    jack caley
    It was not just the unions etc.
    The governments handling of the steel industry after Nationalisation was to effectively put a lead weight round all British heavy industry's neck.
    A friend of mine was responsible for sourcing steel rolled steel sheet for body manufacture and later making fridges as part of Pressed Steel Fisher.
    The British steel was produced as a pig in one factory then carted a couple of hundred miles to Swansea for rolling into sheet, then back up to Scotland for galvanising, each time needing heating and cooling.
    Of course the other factor was it was allowed to rust before the galvanising , which meant the cars soon perforated as the metal rusted.
    When The fridge division was sold to the Germans my friend went with it and the germans were shocked at the poor materials he had been expected to work with.
    Immediately they pointed out the discrepancy in the thickness of the steel sheet which had much more material in the centre of the roll, compared to the uniform German product. Even more of an issue was the German product was made rolled and galvanised in the one factory so pretreatment rusting was never an issue
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,674

    Re: Free at last

    In addition to the above I will remind people of the sad Land Rover story. I used to buy Land Rovers, as they were called in those days, for my business. SWB 2.25lt diesel truck cab. I am quite close to where they were made in Solihull and used to drink with a friend who worked for LR and he road tested Land Rovers both before and after Range Rovers and Discoverys.

    Going back to the 60s they were marvellous bits of kit. The diesel engine was a bit of a pig but they would go anywhere (nearly) and you could tow some stuff around with them. But as they aged (as well as me !) I found them uncreasingly uncomfortable. This was before they had shock absorbers, just sliding windows, chassis & outriggers were rust poskets, but of course the body was alloy so that was all right !

    Then one day I went on an outing to the old RAF base at Gaydon where there was (maybe still is ?) a motor museum. And I came across an amazing Land Rover. A front like a Discovery, nice and fashionable inside with curved dash board, decent steering wheel, electric windows, decent suspension etc. etc. When I asked someone if it was something that had been created especially for Royalty I was told that it was a prototype but LR had decided not to produce it. By this time I was fed up of being shook to pieces whenever I was driving my LR. I always had the diesel engined version, it was a sod to start in cold weather and if one of the glow plugs had ceased to function you had to get out and bypass that particular one so that the others worked. I had engines apart quite a few times and my friend told me that with a comp. ratio as high as it was if you used weasel pee to start them you could actually crack the head.

    When the time came to swap my farm vehicle I looked at what the Japanese were offering, had a few test drives, and there was absolutely no way I was ever going to drive LRs again. Such a shame. My last LR, a series 3, wasn't that much different from the 1948 version. They just would not listen to what their customers wanted, needed, and could obtain from the other side of the World.

    It should never have happened.

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Holderness
    Posts
    1,049

    Re: Free at last

    I bought my first Caravaggi in French, the younger brother of thirteen spoke French, he interpreted it to his brother at the end of a telephone in Sardinia. The point of that is that we were discussing the specification I needed. For five years we improved the specification. The Italians were always prepared to scrap a machine and start again.They had no R&&D department, just the eldest son with an engineering degree. They had about forty employees then, half of them had their own small farm, no union problems so flexible.
    They have just put a footbridge across the main through road in Hull. My wife, who died twelve years ago, and I met the guys who were planning that bridge in a pub! The bridge is up, but still not in use till April, with no no disabled access.
    HS2 might reach Birmingham in ten years time.
    Have I said enough about British initiative?
    jack caley

  24. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    57

    Re: Free at last

    Just a little message from Australia . We have been a net exporter of agricultural produce for many decades and after seeing the cattle market here yesterday I could not think of a better time to be launching your brand onto the world stage without the EU badge. Our biggest market , China, even with the current coronavirus issues continues to drive demand & I can not see that changing soon . Luxury foods like lobster And abalone are in a bit of a slump but beef and lamb is soaring to heights I have never seen before . I am an auctioneer in our local market . Yesterday the first pen I sold were 8 santa gertrudis cows , about 10.-12 yrs old made 313.cents/kg live weight . the next lot I sold was 22 aged angus cows in very light condition they made 265c/kg I then sold the bull calves off those old dears they weighed 89kg @ 500ckg. All driven by china ,US, Korea, Japan,Indonesia,....the list is long. So look forward to tussling with you in the world marketplace it should be fun. As a final comment the past 2-3 yrs have been the biggest belter of a drought I have seen yet all through it those who were forced to sell stock did so at quite good prices , it was not a hard choice to make because the money was fair.

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    NB Canada
    Posts
    733

    Re: Free at last

    Quote Originally Posted by kaywarra View Post
    J. . . Luxury foods like lobster . . ..
    reminds me of something told to me by a couple of friends who grew up in fishing villages half a century ago - they have said that, when they were going to school, if they were given lobster sandwiches for lunch they would toss their lunch away and go hungry rather than be seen eating "garbage fish".

    They grew up half a world away - one in Malaysia (Borneo Island - South China Sea) and the other in Nova Scotia (Canada - Atlantic Ocean).

    now Lobster is a "luxury food"

  26. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Tasmania
    Posts
    1,070

    Re: Free at last

    Quote Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
    now Lobster is a "luxury food"
    Not wrong Ironhead! At Xmas, Tasmanian rock lobster prices went to AUD125/kg - off the boat! Prices have eased back somewhat coz of the Covid 19 to around AUD80/kg

    JV
    Last edited by john maddock; 12-02-20 at 03:25 AM. Reason: Clarity
    Agtronix - the home of the Weedswiper

  27. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    57

    Re: Free at last

    Quote Originally Posted by john maddock View Post
    Not wrong Ironhead! At Xmas, Tasmanian rock lobster prices went to AUD125/kg - off the boat! Prices have eased back somewhat coz of the Covid 19 to around AUD80/kg

    JV
    I spent Xmas in Tasmania , was going over to visit Brother inlaw at his shack at Ansons Bay , When I asked him if he needed anything he said "yes sausages cos Im sick of eating bloody lobster"..funny world

  28. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Tasmania
    Posts
    1,070

    Re: Free at last

    Quote Originally Posted by kaywarra View Post
    I spent Xmas in Tasmania , was going over to visit Brother inlaw at his shack at Ansons Bay , When I asked him if he needed anything he said "yes sausages cos Im sick of eating bloody lobster"..funny world
    A lost opportunity; you should have made yourself known & knocked on the door.

    JV
    Agtronix - the home of the Weedswiper

  29. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Holderness
    Posts
    1,049

    Re: Free at last

    Quote Originally Posted by john maddock View Post
    Not wrong Ironhead! At Xmas, Tasmanian rock lobster prices went to AUD125/kg - off the boat! Prices have eased back somewhat coz of the Covid 19 to around AUD80/kg

    JV
    Just out of interest, a few hundred yards from my field on the cliff top is the best feeding ground in Europe for lobster!
    This business was worth millions up to two years ago when that storm killed tons washed up on the beach with crabs. Two of my sons were involved in exporting them, but the business was very risky, so now no longer.
    jack caley

  30. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    57

    Re: Free at last

    Seems to be the case with high end produce. I think the lobster industry here will survive just be a time without that extreme price they have been enjoying for a while. My brother in law showed me a cray he pulled out of the pot that day he said that it would be close to $350 on the export market , but that was before the chinese began sniffling.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •