Thread: Cleaning a cooling system

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cleaning a cooling system

What's the best way to clean the rust out of a cooling system prior to refilling with rust inhibitor?

A proprietry cleaner, or laundry powder (so I've heard!)

JV
    Agtronix - the home of the Weedswiper

Re: Cleaning a cooling system

Hi John,

Dishwasher tablets are supposed to be the bee's knee's when its oily but perhaps a proper cleaner that is mildly caustic would be better for rust?? A damm good high volume flush with water will do more good IMO. Thermostat out, then connect a small high volume water pump to where the bottom hose connects to the engine and flush into the engine then the rad and out where you took the hose off. Reverse the flow and repeat. Finally flush in the original, backwards direction, new thermostat and antifreeze.
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

Thanks ff; I remember that now that you mention it.

I gave the engine a good back flushing about 2 years ago when I changed the Welch (Walch? Casting openings?) plugs, and refilled with rust inhibitor. I was disappointed that the water which came out this time was rusty, so clearly my work was not satisfactory. I know that over time, dishwasher tablets/powder here will erode aluminium, but in this engine there is no Al., and for a few hours (a day's work?) there should be no damage. I'll give it a go.

Next question is how best to seal a weeping hose connected to the water pump? I've run a strip of belt sander belt back & forth with the aim of smoothing what feels like a rough surface, and applied some silicon paste, but the weep remains.

Maybe the corroding pump (3 years old!) is the source of the rust!

JV

Quote Originally Posted by john maddock View Post
    Thanks ff; I remember that now that you mention it.

I gave the engine a good back flushing about 2 years ago when I changed the Welch (Walch? Casting openings?) plugs, and refilled with rust inhibitor. I was disappointed that the water which came out this time was rusty, so clearly my work was not satisfactory. I know that over time, dishwasher tablets/powder here will erode aluminium, but in this engine there is no Al., and for a few hours (a day's work?) there should be no damage. I'll give it a go.

Next question is how best to seal a weeping hose connected to the water pump? I've run a strip of belt sander belt back & forth with the aim of smoothing what feels like a rough surface, and applied some silicon paste, but the weep remains.

Maybe the corroding pump (3 years old!) is the source of the rust!

JV
    How old is the hose? old and hard could be difficult to seal even with a decent hose clip- might be worth trying a stainless-steel clip as you can usually get up to a lot higher torque before the thread goes, or if really desperate the deluxe style have a 6mm nut & thread to tighten up- standard on Caterpillar type kit.

Old name for whats commonly now known as Core Plugs was Welch Plugs
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

Quote Originally Posted by Footsfitter View Post
    How old is the hose? old and hard could be difficult to seal even with a decent hose clip- might be worth trying a stainless-steel clip as you can usually get up to a lot higher torque before the thread goes, or if really desperate the deluxe style have a 6mm nut & thread to tighten up- standard on Caterpillar type kit.

Old name for whats commonly now known as Core Plugs was Welch Plugs
    Hose is maybe 3 years, but time flies! You are probably correct; it has hardened (whatever its age), so I'll order another tomorra.

Re core plugs, there was an extensive discussion on an American list recently about the name & purpose. Many called them freeze plugs, designed to let freezing water expand, but the consensus was as your name suggests, they are an aid to casting (uncasting?) the block.

JV