Thread: So....WHO IS....completely out of touch?

So....WHO IS....completely out of touch?

Re: So....WHO IS....completely out of touch?

In that article it says Singapore has no agricultural sector citing it as something to aspire to. They are about to change that.
    https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...urity-11386270

It really does go to show just how stupid some politicians are!
    We used to have an old guy worked for us 40 hours a week. 10 hours or more a week he worked in his garden. He never bought any vegetables, made his own jam, you name it!
    I submit this is just the same as producing as much food in the country as possible. Not only is it cheaper, it also means less cash outflow.
    In the old days nearly every news bulletin carried the balance of trade figures!
    The country is just the same as a man on a weekly wage.
    And we wonder why the disposable income in this country is so poor!
    jack caley

The reason for the title of my post was “Who? was completely out of touch”
    Is it Government thinking that is out of touch......or the NFU thinking, in their belief that British Agriculture is indispensable.
    It would appear that from the leak, that The British Government is Prepared to ditch British Agriculture altogether.
    Up until now, no government has openly contemplated walking away from Agricultural support. This one I feel is contemplating such a move.
    Singapore style is heavily centred around business and finance etc.....away from those spheres.....however far you can get above subsistence level, then good for you.
    This is a radical government, perhaps the most radical for 70 odd years.....prepared to think and do the previously unthinkable.
    Difficult to accept, but I feel it is the NFU who have misjudged the situation and it is they, rightly or wrongly who are out of touch.
    I suspect the likes of Mr Wetherspoon will be closer to the governments ear than the NFU.
    Time will tell....

Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    Is it Government thinking that is out of touch......or the NFU thinking, in their belief that British Agriculture is indispensable.
    It would appear that from the leak, that The British Government is Prepared to ditch British Agriculture altogether.
    Up until now, no government has openly contemplated walking away from Agricultural support. This one I feel is contemplating such a move.
    Singapore style is heavily centred around business and finance etc.....away from those spheres.....however far you can get above subsistence level, then good for you.
    This is a radical government, perhaps the most radical for 70 odd years.....prepared to think and do the previously unthinkable.
    Difficult to accept, but I feel it is the NFU who have misjudged the situation and it is they, rightly or wrongly who are out of touch.
    I suspect the likes of Mr Wetherspoon will be closer to the governments ear than the NFU.
    Time will tell....
    Wikipedia:
    Singapore: population 5.6m, 280 sq miles, 20,000 people / sq mile
    England: Population 56m, 50,000 sq miles, 1,100 people / sq mile

Comparing England to Singapore is like comparing apples to horse turds

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
    Wikipedia:
    Singapore: population 5.6m, 280 sq miles, 20,000 people / sq mile
    England: Population 56m, 50,000 sq miles, 1,100 people / sq mile

Have you read the story about the Government adviser and his views that GB no longer needs Agriculture?

Comparing England to Singapore is like comparing apples to horse turds
    It’s the bit in the middle....
    Singapore is very business friendly.......and should I say it is not quite as encumbered with regulations than some places in the world.
    Manufacturing businesses that require continual government help ....grants ....bungs...whatever you want to call them are no longer really fashionable with the Brexiteers.
    Whereas “Big Wizz “City Slickers” are.....
    Hence the Singapore comparison.......Agriculture doesn’t come into it.....won’t come in to it.....The £ Billions that currently the government supports Agriculture will be drip fed to buy votes from Environmental lobbyists.
    All the jargon is in place....”Old Duffers” just cruising along on subsidies......Forward thinking youngsters unencumbered by Old Duffers....Profits will be made at a Keyboard.....not sitting on a tractor!
    The PR con is well under way.

Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    Time will tell....
    Basically it was the NFU that helped to create this situation. The NFU leaders being mostly large farmers agreed to the end of production related subsidies, which originally served a good purpose, and replaced it with the acreage payment.
    Understandably this created all the wrong image, paying huge landowners money they did not need anyway.
    Blame the CAP!
    It is said that the small guys will go out of business, I am not entirely sure about that! I think a lot of them have already discounted the payments, diversifying their business, I know we have! The old duffer is in the background, probably a nuisance, but the next generation has nothing to be ashamed of. In my case my son has gone on to develop and modernise the business, and I would suggest there are many others like him.
    The old duffers in any case farmed according to the system, and developed and modernised. One has only to watch modern farming methods and the equipment used to realise that that government money was well spent. Pity there were not other industries as efficient.
    You are right about government attitude, my own MP of an agricultural constituency, cannot see the wood for the trees.
    I agree reform was needed, but I think they are going to throw the baby out with the bath water.
    jack caley.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    Basically it was the NFU that helped to create this situation. The NFU leaders being mostly large farmers agreed to the end of production related subsidies, which originally served a good purpose, and replaced it with the acreage payment.
    Understandably this created all the wrong image, paying huge landowners money they did not need anyway.
    Blame the CAP!
    It is said that the small guys will go out of business, I am not entirely sure about that! I think a lot of them have already discounted the payments, diversifying their business, I know we have! The old duffer is in the background, probably a nuisance, but the next generation has nothing to be ashamed of. In my case my son has gone on to develop and modernise the business, and I would suggest there are many others like him.
    The old duffers in any case farmed according to the system, and developed and modernised. One has only to watch modern farming methods and the equipment used to realise that that government money was well spent. Pity there were not other industries as efficient.
    You are right about government attitude, my own MP of an agricultural constituency, cannot see the wood for the trees.
    I agree reform was needed, but I think they are going to throw the baby out with the bath water.
    jack caley.
    It is ridiculous to blame the NFU for this situation Jack and you should know it.
    The old production based subsidies had to go to avoid issues with the WTO. They were sa fudge to ensure ongoing subsidies very similar to the level of before , yet being paid out willy nilly meant they did not beak WTO rules. If Europe had not dropped them we could have come under draconian sanctions from every other country in the world
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

Quote Originally Posted by Exfarmer View Post
    It is ridiculous to blame the NFU for this situation Jack and you should know it.
    The old production based subsidies had to go to avoid issues with the WTO. They were sa fudge to ensure ongoing subsidies very similar to the level of before , yet being paid out willy nilly meant they did not beak WTO rules. If Europe had not dropped them we could have come under draconian sanctions from every other country in the world
    When that reform took place, I was in an organisation at Stoneleigh which tried to get a different form of support, related then to labour units. You can argue whether or not it was practical, but it was at the time agreed with the shadow min of Ag. In the event he was never appointed. We were unhappy with the acreage payments.
    Where did the idea for acreage payments come from, and did the NFU support it?
    jack caley

I could never, for the life of me, understand why such a system of acreage payments was ever even thought of. The old pre-EU system of basic minimum prices, although quite low, meant that (with certain exceptions) at least farmers were encouraged to grow food. Most years the prices realised were at or slightly above the guaranteed prices and the processors who used the commodities that were in the scheme knew full well that they had to pay at least a survivable price.

Acreage rather than deficiency payments?
    Butter Mountains????
    Wheat Mountains????
    Pretty obvious really!!!!
    The reality is that in this game of Poker one side of the table is in the process of standing up and walking away....the problem is they are not only are they one of the players....but they are also the BANKERS!