Thread: 1993 Ford 7740 sle issue(s)

1993 Ford 7740 sle issue(s)

Hi all.
    I'll try my best to explain this!

So during the week while spreading dung, our 7740 lost drive with CP followed by e16 error on the dash and 31 and 59 below that. The clutch can't be released fully without loosing drive and the "CP" error appears.

So after some investigation work I discovered that the wiring loom had chaffed where it turns at the bell housing and runs up the firewall. 8 wires charred and melted togeather.
    I sorted out the wiring and thought..... Great that's that sorted!

NOPE... Not sorted!!! E16 was present but this time only 31 below it. After 40min of rolling a field without issue the CP started again with loss of drive!
    Any ideas!
    Do not condemn me for the things I have done wrong...

Re: 1993 Ford 7740 sle issue(s)

Presumably you have an analogue rev counter but digital display to the rhs? SLE special perhaps?
    Code E16 is creeper solenoid open or short circuit or attempt made to engage creeper after prior creeper error. Is there even a creeper box in the tractor? Would think they'd be rare,but the wiring will probably still be there in the harness. CP means clutch pedal error.
    The other two codes are in relation to the hydraulic lift. Code 31 is chassis harness disconnected and 59 is micro computer voltage reference failure. I think you need to go through the wiring again and especially the multi plugs. I'm guessing it'll be much the same as the 82/8340 and if so, there will be a large round connector above the battery box,which is prone to internal corrosion. Also should be a cluster of fusable links going to the positive battery terminal. Need checking out if any have blown/melted.
    (Another possibility is the ECU may be damaged.Hopefully not though).

Hi Agrimax, thanks for the reply.
    You are correct about the dash. Although I don't think it's an sle special... Just an early model.

Thanks for the info on the linkage error codes, but I was led to believe that unless there where EDC you would not get codes? Perhaps that's not the case?

Where would one find the linkage error code list? Workshop manual?

Oh boo more harness checks ☹️ although it just seems strange the way everything happened togeather!

Yes,the codes are in the shop manual. Are you meaning your tractor doesn't have EDC? AFAIK,if it displays codes in the bottom right screen and normally shows the position of the arms as a number,then there will be EDC. Has it the panel with 2(or 3) knobs below the rh side window?

No I don't have edc no panel with 3 knobs.
    Also I forgot to say there is no creeper on this tractor.

Bit baffled by this one....Been looking at the manual and can only see those codes being related to what I said before.I assume you have mechanical top link sensing and the dash displays the numerical position of the linkage? The manual only mentions an ECU for EDC but if there are codes and position display on the lower rh display..........I don't know!!

Up until this week the bottom LCD never displayed anything only the top part displayed gears. That's why I find it odd!
    As far as I know it's just a basic sle no frills on the rear linkage at all! Other than mechanical top link load sensing.

A short in the wires wouldn't cause the micro processor to put those error codes up surely? A short probably would but I sorted those (I think) I'm still pushed towards the processor being the culprit although that is still a guess and does not explain the fuel gauge acting up!

I only put a new fuel sender in last week lower tank had to be emptied to do the PTO wire that runs through the transmission housing. But it worked fine up until this nonsense started.

Diff lock doesn't work either 🤔

Ohh the joys!!

At a guess, the ECU will have the capability to operate EDC even though you don't have it. I'd think the wiring harness will also be the same as EDC spec tractors but just a lot of the connectors and wires won't be used. A short,or eight.....,could have sent power through wires that were previously unused,making the ECU think the EDC is in use and hence throwing codes. Just a stab in the dark and maybe nonsense but it would explain why codes are displaying for electronic linkage that you don't have!

That's an interesting theory and makes alot of sense too. Either way I'd say the ECU needs to come out and get rewritten or repaired!

Quote Originally Posted by 40serieslover View Post
    That's an interesting theory and makes alot of sense too. Either way I'd say the ECU needs to come out and get rewritten or repaired!
    I know on some of the 1980-90s car models if you unhooked the battery it would reset the codes - worth a try?

I have tried that ironhead, unfortunately it was no good... The error codes on these are self reseting when the error is no longer present.

Quote Originally Posted by agrimax View Post
    At a guess, the ECU will have the capability to operate EDC even though you don't have it. I'd think the wiring harness will also be the same as EDC spec tractors but just a lot of the connectors and wires won't be used. A short,or eight.....,could have sent power through wires that were previously unused,making the ECU think the EDC is in use and hence throwing codes. Just a stab in the dark and maybe nonsense but it would explain why codes are displaying for electronic linkage that you don't have!
    40 series: coming back and looking at this post makes me wonder. if the ECU would have the capability to operate an EDC and it is the same wiring harness, what would happen if you used your wiring diagram and removed the extra pins in the connector to the ECU? in essence remove any circuit in the harness that isn't necessary for your machine? This should remove any "less than perfect" repairs you recently made in the harness.

Am I out to lunch?