Thread: Removing FE35 lift cover

Removing FE35 lift cover

A friend needs to remove the lift cover on his FE35. Having no suitable sky hooks, he has to resort to making something like the MF tool for rotating the cover. My service manual shows a device bolted in place of the seat, with a hinge mechanism which rotates the cover using the top link pin and a frame which extends down the back of the diff., and presumably attached to the dead pin.

I'm hoping someone has had experience with this device. There are bound to be traps for the unwary - apart from the need to remove the standpipe & control lever roller first.

The pics in the manual show a boot pressing on the frame down the back of the diff. Is this a lever mechanism to lift the backend of the cover slightly, before rotation begins - or just a convenient way to apply leverage for the lift?

Thanks for any tips.

JV
    Agtronix - the home of the Weedswiper

Re: Removing FE35 lift cover

It's a long while since I did it on my FE35x, but I certainly didn't use any special lifts or tools. The cover isn't all that heavy, and while care is needed with the standpipe and other bits, it's really a question of being gentle and careful with it, and wriggling it free. Expect to replace the O-ring on the standpipe, though you may get away with re-use.

Re: Removing FE35 lift cover

Quote Originally Posted by RGSP View Post
    It's a long while since I did it on my FE35x, but I certainly didn't use any special lifts or tools. The cover isn't all that heavy, and while care is needed with the standpipe and other bits, it's really a question of being gentle and careful with it, and wriggling it free. Expect to replace the O-ring on the standpipe, though you may get away with re-use.
    No special lifts or tools RGSP? You are a better man than me! Or my friend - but thanks for your thoughts. I agree about new O rings though.

JV
    Agtronix - the home of the Weedswiper