Thread: Any carburettor advice please ?

Any carburettor advice please ?

I have one of those cheapo 2 stroke muli tools which I use as a pole saw. Today, when I started it up and revved it a bit it blew petrol out of the plastic fuel tank. When I looked underneath I could see 3 pipes coming out of the plastic bung that sits in the top of the tank and this is where the petrol was spewing out. One with the filter inside the tank is obviously the delivery pipe (No.1), the other is open ended but also attached to the carb. so maybe an overflow pipe if you prime the carb. too much (No.2) but what does pipe No. 3 do ? The plastic thimble just sits outside the tank and doesn't have anything inside it and the other end is open-ended just inside the tank. The photo. is showing the carb. on it's side. Imagine that all the pipes are vertical when the tool is being used. The engine has got a TIMBERWOLF TM-M2600-3 decal on it. Thanks for any help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Any carburettor advice please ?

Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    I have one of those cheapo 2 stroke muli tools which I use as a pole saw. Today, when I started it up and revved it a bit it blew petrol out of the plastic fuel tank. When I looked underneath I could see 3 pipes coming out of the plastic bung that sits in the top of the tank and this is where the petrol was spewing out. One with the filter inside the tank is obviously the delivery pipe (No.1), the other is open ended but also attached to the carb. so maybe an overflow pipe if you prime the carb. too much (No.2) but what does pipe No. 3 do ? The plastic thimble just sits outside the tank and doesn't have anything inside it and the other end is open-ended just inside the tank. The photo. is showing the carb. on it's side. Imagine that all the pipes are vertical when the tool is being used. The engine has got a TIMBERWOLF TM-M2600-3 decal on it. Thanks for any help.
    The grommet the pipes go thorough looks knackered, pipe with the filter in tank to the carb should be the suction pipe, pipe from the carb back to the tank should be the return for when you prime the clear primer bulb, usually air whips thru easily until the petrol gets there and the bulb starts to get harder to pump. The other tube should be to vent to atmosphere and I would of thought that there should be a valve inside the white fitting on the end to allow air in but hold fuel back in the tank?
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

Thank you FF. Yes, I wrote in the OP that I understood the reason for pipes 1 & 2 but it's the 3rd one that stumped me. There does seem to be a very simple valve arrangement in the plastic thimble at the end of pipe No. 3 but I didn't know why it was there and what it was supposed to do. The vent for the tank is the usual hole in the filler cap. Is the grommet that the pipes go through readily available because, as you say, it is knackered ?

Thank you FF. Yes, I wrote in the OP that I understood the reason for pipes 1 & 2 but it's the 3rd one that stumped me. There does seem to be a very simple valve arrangement in the plastic thimble at the end of pipe No. 3 but I didn't know why it was there and what it was supposed to do. The vent for the tank is the usual hole in the filler cap. Is the grommet that the pipes go through readily available because, as you say, it is knackered ?
    If its not available from the maker of the tool, then your only option is to trawl through similar brands looking to see if there is a maker using a similar grommet that may fit? It looks too fat/thick to be replaced with the standard blanking grommet suitably punched and I bet it won't be the right stuff to be petrol resistant?

I bought one of these today. I mic'd it up and the measurements are right. The only concern is if the plastic of the petrol tank is too thin to fill the "land" in the middle of the grommet. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-HOLE-FU...T/174118992075

I bought this as well because the pipes are about shot : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-Strimm...m/261477060409

I bought one of these today. I mic'd it up and the measurements are right. The only concern is if the plastic of the petrol tank is too thin to fill the "land" in the middle of the grommet. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-HOLE-FU...T/174118992075
    Don't think that will matter too much, as long as its a decent fit in the hole

Quote Originally Posted by Footsfitter View Post
    Don't think that will matter too much, as long as its a decent fit in the hole
    Here's hoping. Thanks for your help Peter.