Thread: Massey Ferguson 5460 - Blue smoke when at running temperature, injector pump

Exclamation Massey Ferguson 5460 - Blue smoke when at running temperature, injector pump

Massey Ferguson starts and runs okay until it gets warm, then misfires and blue smokes badly. Changed all the filters and injectors and still not right. Is there an excess fuel solenoid on the injector pump? Or any other ideas?

Re: Massey Ferguson 5460 - Blue smoke when at running temperature, injector pump

Quote Originally Posted by davidlambert View Post
    Massey Ferguson starts and runs okay until it gets warm, then misfires and blue smokes badly. Changed all the filters and injectors and still not right. Is there an excess fuel solenoid on the injector pump? Or any other ideas?
    See here http://www.tractordata.com/farm-trac...60-engine.html it says the model should have a Perkins 1104 turbo intercooled common rail engine?

If it is common rail then your thoughts of an excess fuel solenoid is more for a convention injection pump? Would be handy if you could clarify what fuel system you do have?
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

Re: Massey Ferguson 5460 - Blue smoke when at running temperature, injector pump

Wouldn't excess fuel cause black smoke (and extra power)? Always thought blue smoke was from oil burning.

The muddy edge of the biggest puddle in the uk

We have a 5460 with the rotary mechanical fuel pump,if yours is the same_. I would say to check two things, probably the first is to replace the electric lift pump/filter combo as there are rubbish and frequently fail across the range of perkins they are fitted to, we are on about our third I think on the 5460. The other thought is to check that the heater plug isn't leaking into the manifold. If you have another tractor with the same electric lift pump you could borrow that for test purposes but they fail so often a spare is useful to have. I think Vapormatic do one at around 90 and as far as I recall that's what is on ours at the present. Typical symptoms when they fail are misfiring, surging, stopping and being down on power when warm. We've had them all over the years. I can't remember blue smoke but then I was usually driving and might not have noticed. That variation of the engine is pushing the power envelope a bit further than I'm comfortable with and the timing etc is a tad on the early side for my liking. The dealer offered to "screw ours out" to about 125hp after it was out of warranty but my judgment was "no thank you". If yours has been "screwed out" check the intercooler core is clean as the incoming air temperature might be getting too toasty_that's why you don't get a 5460 with the "snoopy" nose as it needs a big intercooler/radiator, and it's why screwing out a snoopy 5455 etc is a very bad idea. I've seen the top of the pistons melted by too much "screwing out".

Quote Originally Posted by T P View Post
    We have a 5460 .................................................. ................................ melted by too much "screwing out".
    So much for tractor data, I did wonder if maybe it being a US site it may on about a different spec!
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......