Thread: mf4345

mf4345

does anyone know what to look for when buying a mf4345,2wd.which gearbox is best?also how does it compare against mf 6265 with dynashift box?

The muddy edge of the biggest puddle in the uk

Re: mf4345

There's a model of massey that has a single gear lever for the gears and ranges,some wee cheap pin or spring breaks in them I think for the range change if I remember correctly but it costs a lot of labour to dismantle and rebuild to fit the cheap part so I'd be looking out for that if it's relevant to any type of transmission on your proposed model.

Quote Originally Posted by T P View Post
    There's a model of massey that has a single gear lever for the gears and ranges,some wee cheap pin or spring breaks in them I think for the range change if I remember correctly but it costs a lot of labour to dismantle and rebuild to fit the cheap part so I'd be looking out for that if it's relevant to any type of transmission on your proposed model.
    As I understand, the 4345 followed the 4245, so there presumably is a similarity to my 4225 which has everything on one lever, except for forward/reverse which is on a lever left of the steering wheel.

It is the worst feature of the tractor - not that it has given me any trouble in the 4 years I've owned it. There are 4 gears in the normal H pattern available on the gear lever, but in addition, pushing it to the far right allows selection of three ranges in sequence. If in High range, pushing the lever back changes to middle range, and a second push backwards selects Low range. Moving from Low up the ranges is achieved by pushing the lever right then forward. The dash displays the range which has been selected.

I much prefer the old 100 series gearbox with it's two levers; much quicker & easier to change ranges, even if two levers are involved.

On the 4225, there are two rubber bushes on the linkage outside the gearbox. I think their condition influences the ease of selecting gears, but I don't think they are critical. I'm not aware of anything along the lines that T P suggests, unless he is thinking of those bushes.

The other problem is that if the gear lever is in first or third, it interfers with entry or exit through the right hand door; not a big deal, just a nuisance, because if the gear lever is moved to second or fourth to allow passage past it, I have to check that the forward/reverse lever is in neutral, or I might chuck it into gear while halfway out the door!

Apart from that poor gearbox design (in my opinion) , it's a sweet tractor. Steering is superb, as is the cab.

JV
    Agtronix - the home of the Weedswiper

Quote Originally Posted by rockyb View Post
    does anyone know what to look for when buying a mf4345,2wd.which gearbox is best?also how does it compare against mf 6265 with dynashift box?
    Looked up Tractor Data

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-trac...nsmission.html

and it says the gearbox is completely different - 8fwd, 2 rev.!

Quote Originally Posted by rockyb View Post
    Looked up Tractor Data

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-trac...nsmission.html

and it says there are 4 different gearbox options!

JV