Thread: 1993 Ford 7740 sle transmission issue

1993 Ford 7740 sle transmission issue

Hi Guys.
    Help needed!

1993 sle 7740 has no drive and no hydraulics and the transmission pressure light is on constantly. Possibly unrelated but since the tractor was parked up it's now very hard to get the shuttle into forward or reverse but more so forward.

I'm wondering if it's an issue with the so-called PTO tube being disconnected or the PTO supply in the pump O-ring?

I really don't want to start stripping the tractor down chasing nothing.

As always any help greatly appreciated 😊
    “The best way to appreciate your job is to imagine yourself without one.” – Oscar Wilde

Re: 1993 Ford 7740 sle transmission issue

No takers?😔
    “The best way to appreciate your job is to imagine yourself without one.” – Oscar Wilde

If nothings happening what about the flywheel drive plate- I'm guessing that if the centre of that has failed you'll loose everything?
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

Thanks for the Rey Footsfitter.
    That is correct, because I have the variable ccls hydraulic pump if the damper plate had failed I would have no steering. I'm really pushed on an internal leak.. there was a post on here before with basically the same symptoms and iirc it was an internal PTO pipe come loose or something

Quote Originally Posted by 40serieslover View Post
    Thanks for the Rey Footsfitter.
    That is correct, because I have the variable ccls hydraulic pump if the damper plate had failed I would have no steering. I'm really pushed on an internal leak.. there was a post on here before with basically the same symptoms and iirc it was an internal PTO pipe come loose or something
    Pull the filters off and check for debris. Spent ages chasing around on a TM155 in the winter with noisy ccls pump and warning lights, didn't find much wrong with it until the 2nd time in and the recently fitted filters had a lot of muck in them, ended up that one of the brake disc linings had gone, just the one side as though it had been a faulty adhesive problem, the other 3 linings were ok, equal to new spec but it was 15yr old and 6000 hrs and the 1st brake issue ever. Never having had brake problems made a linking problem slip off the radar.

May not be that as we didn't loose stuff totally but also worth looking to check for suction loss.

One other thing I've just remembered, didn't 40 series have an issue where a faulty QRC could allow air to be drawn in through the spool valves and back into the suction side of the pump causing problems?? I'd guess fitting blanked off male qrc probes into the spools would block them 100% and rule that out??

I changed all but the steering filter as the steering is unaffected.
    I did find shrapnel from a bearing race..... I think from the rear 4wd shaft bearing.
    I'm curious could the hydraulic pumps siphon pipe be blocked up??

As for the QRC, one had an O'ring split just at the nipple.... Never did replace it 🤔

As for the QRC, one had an O'ring split just at the nipple.... Never did replace it 🤔
    The fault would be that with nothing connected, if one or more of the female QRC's in the spool hasn't seated correctly or is damaged, or held open for some reason the pump will suck air in through it. IIRC it was a trait just with those 40 series hyds for some reason

I'm curious could the hydraulic pumps siphon pipe be blocked up??
    Unfamiliar with it on the 40series but it may be similar to the TM which is like a bit of exhaust pipe steel bent to fit up in the casting with an Oring to seal it, like many rubber orings & seals they can harden/shrink, components can vibrate and become a source of air. The TM one is above the oil level unless you overfill it a lot, but at least its easy on there to access during a major service when the oils dropped out as there is a small "sump" casting bolted under the transmission ahead of the PUH

Pickup pipe on LH side. Bet the 40 series is totally different and inaccessable! Been a long time since we had those here.

Yea I'd say after the 40series they changed the design! I guess I'm looking for the easy and cheaper things to check first.... Failing that it'll probably be sent away.

Anything to watch for in the charge Pump? U vaguely remember the pump being slightly noisy before it stopped working.

Yea I'd say after the 40series they changed the design! I guess I'm looking for the easy and cheaper things to check first.... Failing that it'll probably be sent away.

Anything to watch for in the charge Pump? U vaguely remember the pump being slightly noisy before it stopped working.
    Have to found anything with the spool QRC's?

Nothing as of yet... I pulled the pump and stripped it down but everything looks in order.
    Maybe wasen't the right thing to do but now I know the pump is good. And I was pretty sure it was the pump 🤔

Nothing as of yet... I pulled the pump and stripped it down but everything looks in order.
    Maybe wasen't the right thing to do but now I know the pump is good. And I was pretty sure it was the pump 🤔
    Your not alone, had the TM ccls pump group off and checked the charge pump & steering pump and the two disc check valves really because its so quick & easy to get off, didn't venture into the main swash pump as that flow tested ok. checked the pick-up tube, and then had a long think about the then intermittent fault. Eventually decided to swap the known pump off the other TM but when the suction filter came off the patient this time the metal filings/lining material from the failing brake disc were easily evident after just 20 or so hours in the filter and it clicked that we had our first brake failing, probably because of sheer age. That TM has now been sold on, the question is do we change the similarly aged discs in the other TM we are keeping........... ?

Check those QRC's once its back running again.

It's all fun and games!
    Yes I will see about an o ring kit and replace all o rings and seals while it's apart. Then check the suction pipe and PTO pipe aswell while I'm there ... Then all together and might get a rebuild kit for the QRC that blew out the nipple O ring.

Anyone know can you get a seal kit for the internals of the sle hydraulic pump? Or do I need one after disassembling the pump? I know I need a new mounting kit.

You have asked same questions on another site and got told what to check why ask again, if you have a e/m light on your car then start replacing different components even if someone told you what could be the problem you may well end up with a big bill for parts that are ok, i told you to do a pressure check now it will cost you to re-assemble the pump it's up to you to either fit or not the o-rings , but where will you go if it's still the same which it will be if nothing is worn or broken, did you check the two valves under the caps on the outside of the ccls pump, like a fuse that blow's ok possible it's old but if another blow's and you keep fitting a higher rated one it will end up burning the loom, these tractor's need a methodical approach using pressure and flow gauges as stated, if you think the pto or inlet tube is at fault have you took them out, easy with pump off..

I don't think I've asked where to get a seal kit on another site!?
    Also yes I was told what to "check" but I had the pump off and stripped at that stage! Also I've no means of pressure testing.

Is anyone able to answer my original question.... Where to get an internal seal kit for the pump.

cnh part 81871614 seal kit on bay £245-over £400 seals never were available separately...