Thread: Three-way tip tray

Three-way tip tray

I have a small Diahatsu truck fitted with a rare tip tray which can be set to tip one of three ways: to the left;to the right, or to the rear, using pins on outriggers at the tray corners and a centrally mounted 3 stage ram.

A friends wants a similar tray, but has been unable to find the hydraulic ram & controls in Aus.

As I understand, such trucks are not uncommon in the UK and Europe.

Can anyone offer a lead to buying the hydraulic parts - either second hand or new?

TIA

JV
    Last edited by john maddock; 11-09-20 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Clarity
    Agtronix - the home of the Weedswiper

Re: Three-way tip tray

Hi John,

I've had a google here where 3 way tippers are about but not that common compared to normal conventional ones. All that I have found are proper large truck size but its possible to find small-ish underfloor tipping rams and 12v electric hyd power packs are easy to nail down, its just the small scale ball/pivot pin items needed for each corner to make the 3-way mounting frame.

I'm wondering if either small trailer manufacturers or possibly european body/tipping gear manufacturers may offer some clues?
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

Re: Three-way tip tray

Quote Originally Posted by Footsfitter View Post
    Hi John,

I've had a google here where 3 way tippers are about but not that common compared to normal conventional ones. All that I have found are proper large truck size but its possible to find small-ish underfloor tipping rams and 12v electric hyd power packs are easy to nail down, its just the small scale ball/pivot pin items needed for each corner to make the 3-way mounting frame.

I'm wondering if either small trailer manufacturers or possibly european body/tipping gear manufacturers may offer some clues?
    Thanks for your interest FF. I (and my friend) have used Google here too, and we've come up with several trailer manufacturers offering tandem wheel trailers with a capacity of around one tonne.

My friend says he would not want to use such (apparently) flimsy mechanisms!

He's looked closely at my truck, initially with the idea of building something, but has decided against it. On my truck, there is a ball joint about 150dia. on the bottom of the ram, and a smaller one at the top. In addition, there are adjustable levers on each side of the 3 stage ram which prevent it extending too far when side-tipping, by closing the hydraulic valve.

I've suggested the ball joints could be replaced by universal joints, and the limit levers replaced by electric limit switches connected to solenoid valves, but he's decided it all too hard - thus my post looking for genuine parts able to handle several tonnes.

JV
    Last edited by john maddock; 13-09-20 at 12:33 PM.
    Agtronix - the home of the Weedswiper