Thread: SIMA and DD drills

SIMA and DD drills

So, the SIMA show starts on Sunday. Is anyone that is going taking a keen interest in direct drills / methods? If so what are you looking for (i.e. disturbance or non-disturbance type, fertilizer placements, cover crop destruction, companion cropping techniques etc.)? It would be interesting to hear your feedback when you return.

Re: SIMA and DD drills

Well, there wasn't much new there. The Semato TDNG in New Holland branding drew a bit of a crowd, though I have to say I'm a bit confused by the working widths offered. 3m mechanical is OK, but then the 4.5m and 5.2m pneumatic models seem and odd direction to go in, especially as it is only to be availible in France in the first instance. Its certainly a heavy duty enough drill - the pneumatic machine has clearly has retained it Brazillian roots. I can see it working well in pure zero tillage in hard ground or in a good crop cover, but question its use as a "flexible" drill able to work in cultivated soil as with the John Deere 730 or Sulky Easy-drill.

Talking of Sulky, it will be interesting to see if the new strategy of branding the zero till and min till drills will also drive them to develop new machines. I was a bit unsure about the new Maxi-drill (min-till not zero till, I know) with the double fertilizer placement. Ferti down the spout would be OK, but I'm not so convinced about the ferti put on the soil surface right infront of the tyre press wheel - would it not be liable to be picked up on the press in damp soil?