Thread: Re-Locating a feed hopper ?

Re-Locating a feed hopper ?

Just wondering if any one has taken down a feed hopper, and how they did it

Think hopper is roughly about 40 ft high and 10 ft round , made of tin

Was going to unbolt from floor put a strap round 3/4 of way up and try and pull over with loadall then lower down when weight is on headstock but not too sure ?

Any one any ideas ??

rogerm

Re: Re-Locating a feed hopper ?

have moved a shorter one with a tipped trailer, nudge into trailer then lower it slowly

40' bin would need a hell of a trailer

Big Vern

Quote Originally Posted by 123 View Post

Was going to unbolt from floor put a strap round 3/4 of way up and try and pull over with loadall then lower down when weight is on headstock but not too sure ?

Any one any ideas ??

We have just moved on at home, luckily a bloke keeps his 360 slews at ur place and we have key access, short strop into top opening, then whole lot tilted over onto trailer and hauled away, looked at doing it with the teleporter but decided it all looked a bit iffy......
    main thin being not enough space to get "square on" with teleporter and pulling it over would.could involve it free falling and smashing into head stock...

mfield

I'd be afraid the "whip" when it goes over centre might strain it. If you have to move it with a loadall and you have a good set of forks I'd say bolt on a basic frame to the legs with 2 appropriate lengths of box to take the forks - as high up as possible. When you've got the forks in use every ratchet strap you have to secure it to the fork frame.

This is assuming you're moving it within your yard. If it's being moved by road you're best bet is to get someone with the right kind of trailer, which does like Roger said but tips to 90 degrees so need for nudging.

Fergieman

EB equipment have the proper lorries for moving them and will come and move it for you. There is a guy down the M6 somewhere that deals in them and has the proper trailer/lorry for doing the job. Someone else may know the guys details.

slugpelleter

I'm not sure of the weight of it but what about a potato box tipper with a few mods, strap on lift and turn?

Exfarmer

I would get a professional in
    there is not much metal in those things and they easily fold up

Panzer III

If it has a lifting point and your relocating nearby then crane, with a few moves and rests along the distance.

If further then as per Fergieman.

Dont do anything that gets you a posthumous mention in the Farmers Weekly

Diesel Burner

Collinson also move them aswell....well they did about 5 years ago

cowfarm

Any one any ideas ??
    I have ratchet strapped hoppers to the loadall bucket in the past but never moved one higher than 30 ft high.

Alan winder from ravenglass has a lorry to move them.

7810 pilot

Quote Originally Posted by cowfarm View Post
    I have ratchet strapped hoppers to the loadall bucket in the past but never moved one higher than 30 ft high.

Alan winder from ravenglass has a lorry to move them.
    cow farm do you mean ravenstonedale near kirby stephen

cowfarm

Quote Originally Posted by 7810 pilot View Post
    Yes been a long day!

s j h

I would not move it with a loadall, if there anything like the 2 we took down last year, there will be a fair weight of feed stuck on the sides and at the joins. Be easy to have a loadall on it's side if it falls on the twist.

There was a chap down south with a trailer that moved them, don't have his details though.

lordbonville

Quote Originally Posted by 7810 pilot View Post
    You mean Alec... or rather Paul, his grandson.