Thread: My Avatar

My Avatar

I was a member of the old BFF. I am now a member of the new one and have tried to put up my avatar.

It is the same picture as I used before on BFF and also currently on TFF and FWI. When I try to upload it to this forum, I am told that the dimension limits for this type of file are 80 x 80 and that my picture is 2048 x 1536, and that I should resize it.

I don't understand why my picture is no longer acceptable as it is. When I open up the pic in My PIctures, I can see no way of resizing it. I am using Windows XP.

Re: My Avatar

I've copied this here from another thread where it came up. Some sites software takes the image and resizes it for you, vBulletin used here doesn't. Using the tool shown below isn't too difficult, if your image has a big file size it may need compressing twice to get the dimensions and file size down enough.

ff

Use this link to go directly to the download for Pixresizer http://bluefive.pair.com/PIXresizer.zip (one member got caught yesterday with "free" extras from a different site)

You will download a zip file and your browser should open and unzip the file. Once thats done you follow the simple install instructions.

Use the left hand pane to handle a single file, browse to find it, then to set the dimensions to 80x80 pixels, keep the box ticked to maintain aspect ratio and click custom size, you may have to fiddle a bit to get both under 80 pixels, when thats done hit save picture and it will resize it. If the file size is too big, simply go through the procedure again but this time with the image you have resized already, this will compress the data even more and it should now be a suitable file size to use.

Now you are a skilled resizer, try using it to do multiple images using the right pane! File size problems occur because you are possibly using a high quality image ideal for beautiful photos but way too good for posting as images on computers. Added bonuses if you resize your images will be much faster uploading for you and also much faster downloading for those looking at your picture, especially if you have a slow rural broadband speed
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

The program would not install properly for reasons I don't understand. Computers are too complicared.

Thanks for trying FF, I'll manage without.

After a bit of head scratching I've finally got a avatar

Quote Originally Posted by feilding View Post
    After a bit of head scratching I've finally got a avatar
    Well done.

Anyone else having problems?
    PM me if you're having trouble getting your picture resized.
    Pleased to see Lazy Sod's avatar up too.
    British Farming Forum on Facebook - www.facebook.com/groups/BritishFarmingForum