Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Started the wheat

Badshot

Started the wheat

Cut my way up a headland of solstice to save taking the header off, but it's no where near fit yet, can still cut the grain in half with my thumb and it's not because it's just wet it's still green. Got to be 10 days away from being fit, and it's where my rape is going so there will be no stale seedbeds.
    Got to the cordiale and it was 19.5% so packed up, wondering when it's going to get lower but it's barely fit either with green straw still, which is carrying a fair bit out the back with it.
    Looks better in the tank than I thought it would and there seemed to be a bit there.

What a year.......maybe those late fungicides weren't such a good idea after all, still it will give me time to hedge cut etc round the rape fields.

Seat Right Back

Re: Started the wheat

blinkin wheat

still got 95% of rape and 100% of barley to cut yet

hesstondriver

40 acres done last week !! straw still a bit green i understand

possumbility

Quote Originally Posted by Badshot View Post
    Cut my way up a headland of solstice to save taking the header off, but it's no where near fit yet, can still cut the grain in half with my thumb and it's not because it's just wet it's still green. Got to be 10 days away from being fit, and it's where my rape is going so there will be no stale seedbeds.
    Got to the cordiale and it was 19.5% so packed up, wondering when it's going to get lower but it's barely fit either with green straw still, which is carrying a fair bit out the back with it.
    Looks better in the tank than I thought it would and there seemed to be a bit there.

What a year.......maybe those late fungicides weren't such a good idea after all, still it will give me time to hedge cut etc round the rape fields.
    Isn't the requirement "Hedgecutting only allowed outside the breeding season (march 1st to August 31st) except for safety reasons" part of Cross Compliance or is it just ELS?

czechmate

Quote Originally Posted by possumbility View Post
    Isn't the requirement "Hedgecutting only allowed outside the breeding season (march 1st to August 31st) except for safety reasons" part of Cross Compliance or is it just ELS?

1st of August is the begining of hedge cutting

Badshot

Quote Originally Posted by possumbility View Post
    ELS is later now and for that reason none of my arable fields are entered with hedges or ditches. How they think you can leave all the hedges till September I'll never know, it means either leaving the outside of the fields till then for cultivating or running on top of cultivated ground and then redoing it. Idiots, they must have lost loads of that option.

JohnDeere8530

cut 75% of cordialle, 2t/ha down on average, but just about got the quality although specific weight was a hair's width under 76. However this was taken from a wet sample though.

All Gallant and XI19 still not 100% fit. Need 10.5 fine days !

barleymow

Sampled a field of Gallant yesterday was 18.5 % so nearly ready

MrNoo

Quote Originally Posted by barleymow View Post
    Sampled a field of Gallant yesterday was 18.5 % so nearly ready
    Reading some of these posts, I feel like i`m living in a different country to you lot!!! Am sure half of you are farming in Spain!

si-mate

Saw someone having a nibble at some wheat on my way home today. Sure they must have got rained off a couple of hours later.

honest john

Quote Originally Posted by MrNoo View Post
    Reading some of these posts, I feel like i`m living in a different country to you lot!!! Am sure half of you are farming in Spain!
    Me to not even ready for roundup quite.

yellow belly

will be 2 weeks before oakley is near ready here

dirty harry

Wink Re: Started the wheat

Thought 8530 only grew solstice and gallant as per earlier posts?

Perhaps found some cordiale in back of a field somewhere like the sheds?........!

Still if you did 16ton/ ha or whatever it was last year I suppose it's still yielding ok?

Jim Bullock

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDeere8530 View Post
    cut 75% of cordialle, 2t/ha down on average, but just about got the quality although specific weight was a hair's width under 76. However this was taken from a wet sample though.

All Gallant and XI19 still not 100% fit. Need 10.5 fine days !
    Not wishing you to give us your identity but could you give us an idea of where you farm? Obviously nowhere in the south-west as few have even finished their winter barley as yet...and as for OSR...

czechmate

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bullock View Post
    Not wishing you to give us your identity but could you give us an idea of where you farm? Obviously nowhere in the south-west as few have even finished their winter barley as yet...and as for OSR...

No where near liecs either. No wb done hear, never mind wheat...

jfdi

Alot of the big boys are into wheat, saw a couple cutting today, god bless camgrain

Badshot

Just to show I really have tried it, this was today's attempt.

Must have done at least 15yards before it started:lolk: Moisture was 19% before the rain, god knows what it was after.

I'm wondering if we are going to get into trouble for too many snails in the tank after seeing this lot on the cutter bar today.
    Maybe squashed snail is adding to the moisture content, might also boost the protein too:lolk:

JohnDeere8530

Tried 20 ha of early sown gallant yesterday afternoon

Results

74.1kg ha. 14% protein 215 hagberg. Around 10tha

Not as good as was expecting but not a disaster as makes a mid spec grade I would of thought

Steevo

Results

Not as good as was expecting but not a disaster as makes a mid spec grade I would of thought
    How do you get analysis results back so fast?

Col the Ox

Quote Originally Posted by Seat Right Back View Post
    blinkin wheat

still got 95% of rape and 100% of barley to cut yet

That's assuming your combine is not up to its axles!!!!!!!!!!!

crooky

Quote Originally Posted by Steevo View Post
    Haven't you heard, he's a magician.

Just like that.

JohnDeere8530

Quote Originally Posted by Steevo View Post
    Gleadell sampler out yesterday in the area, gave it to them "hot" off the combine and rang for results around dinner time today.. Simples!

Pheasant_plucker

In to the Gallant.

Combine meter saying 11 .5 t/ha. Moisture 14.5
    Tests back 13.1 protein, 78 kg, 300 hag. Things going well.

Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

O heck it's the alarm, time to get up.

It must have been a dream.
    Oh well back to reality..

essexpeasant

Plucker

you made more progress than I did what with ruddy Keira Knightley insisting on getting in the cab with me.

EP

tomtomtom

Results

Thats alot better than any other early wheats i heard of

Clive

Results

you have the best farm in the UK

where is it ?

Clive

Gleadell sampler out yesterday in the area, gave it to them "hot" off the combine and rang for results around dinner time today.. Simples!
    And a merchant on call with lab just waiting for your wheat

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    you have the best farm in the UK

where is it ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    And a merchant on call with lab just waiting for your wheat
    BTW - i'm not at all jealous

JohnDeere8530

right on south coast..... wouldnt say those results are over impressive though for the first harvested wheat (Gallant 20ha), as things can only get worse. Talking to Gleadell lab Warminster way, they have had 8 samples in of wheat so far and quality was hugely variable on hageberg and specific weight front, anything from 400 down to 150 on former and 80 to 61 on latter

However as said in an earlier post the Cordialle (12.5ha) I harvested a week or so ago on neighbouring farm quality was good (Hagberg & protein) apart from slightly light on specific weight, but yield was down compared to normal for that field

CORK

Quote Originally Posted by essexpeasant View Post
    Plucker

you made more progress than I did what with ruddy Keira Knightley insisting on getting in the cab with me.

EP
    Depends what you define as "progress" - any day or dream that Ms. Knightley climbs up the steps to the New Holland Hilton is a good one in my book!