Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Started the wheat

JCB_3230

Re: Started the wheat

Quote Originally Posted by honest john View Post
    No not at all.
    That pre would be for Pro Hag and meeting the min kg/hl

I am talking Bonus for 14% moisture and for 80 kg on a scale like for Rape Contracts.

After all if the wheat is 14% you are getting more wheat and less water.

For Spuds Processing you would get Bonus or stopages on DM with in the range that is useable. Ie the most money for 22% less at the low end 19% and less at the high end 25% out side that may not take depending on the year. ie the goal posts may need to change size to the season.

On Wheat contracts its only weighted in the buyers favor.
    Thats not fair. What ever the price is its still not fair to the grower.

spot on.... x2

possumbility

Quote Originally Posted by Renaultman View Post
    A neighbour got spme barley seed delivered and got under 500kgs in the bag, as the 1000 grain weight was so low. Talk about having your cake and eating it?

Will we need less seed this year as you get more grains/kg.

Crazybull

Quote Originally Posted by JCB_3230 View Post
    It's only going for chicken corn.. they will certainly be pocketing all the deduction, that's for sure.. and I am not on my own in thinking this

I have seen the mill claim sheets from 'chicken' mills they are not pretty, any sensible merchant will simply be passing the claims on, not exagerating them as you are suggesting. You really think some rep somewhere is getting fat off your claims? if you do speak to the rep.

Crazybull

This year if you have 70kg+ wheat that is low DON score then as Grain buyer has said it will be worth a good premium, in some cases even if the DON is high it might go for a blending job.

Get what you have sampled, know exactly you have and market it as such.

Those who have the ability to get their bushels over 70 will make alot better price.

C B

Steevo

Anybody like to hazard a guess at the likely costs/benefits of bulk cleaning wheat down to get a 70+kg/hl weight from say 64-66?

What hit would you take if you sent it in at the low bushel?
    How much "weight loss" would the cleaning create?
    Are the screenings of any reasonable value?

Just gives an idea of whether its better to do something and have a high bushel to market, or take the hit.

czechmate

Quote Originally Posted by Right-arm fast View Post
    Does it have the dust extractor on the top of the main central auger ?

Yes, an extractor on top and a screen on the side of the main auger. As we are set, 90% was sucked off the top. I think with a slightly larger hole size on the screen we will beat 72, just so long as we don't start loosing too much, although my pigs don't send me bushel claims - seriously though, if their milled feed was made up of small grains I suppose I would have to feed them more as more would be husk.

peasantman

Quote Originally Posted by Steevo View Post
    Anybody like to hazard a guess at the likely costs/benefits of bulk cleaning wheat down to get a 70+kg/hl weight from say 64-66?

Just gives an idea of whether its better to do something and have a high bushel to market, or take the hit.
    That's what I am struggling with.

We could put it through the Cleaner but it would take time and energy and we would perhaps have a quite considerable weight loss. Then the screenings would probably only be fit for dumping in the woods for the pheasants.

Yes we could drop 30 a tonne, but from a high price so perhaps it's best to put the whole lot over the side of the lorry. Looking at my sample, I would suspect there would a lot of screenings. Seems like a waste as well, when you consider that they add low value bulking materials like straw to a lot of animal feeds anyway, or at least my cousin used to when she worked for national feed outfit.

The Pretender

Quote Originally Posted by honest john View Post
    Now of course its not your fault but the weak buyer freindly contracts.
    If we are to get hit for below 72kg/hl we should get more for the over 72 kg/hl on the same scale.
    Last year we could have built up a bit of fat on the 82 kg/ha grain to ave out this year.
    Same on moisture. IMO.
    You didn't have to put some much volume on each lorry load

JCB_3230

Quote Originally Posted by Crazybull View Post
    I have seen the mill claim sheets from 'chicken' mills they are not pretty, any sensible merchant will simply be passing the claims on, not exagerating them as you are suggesting. You really think some rep somewhere is getting fat off your claims? if you do speak to the rep.
    In my case.. the merchant also owns the mill.. when you buy by weight.. and sell by weight.. the claims are not passed on.. no call for it this season.. IMO

Due to weather, the .BW is considerably lower than in a normal year... the std of 72 is obviously set too high... with only .gp 1 and 2 meeting that spec ... and that's not feed wheat

If others are happy to be trodden on by the BIG buyers, then I am surprised... be like the dairy farmers... stand up for yourselves

JCB_3230

Quote Originally Posted by Steevo View Post

64kg wheat will be a 14 deduction... at ny local mill

My Opico drier is not removing any wheat at all... only chaff and dust... and using some electric.. definitely very cost effective this season

Renaultman

64kg wheat will be a 14 deduction... at ny local mill

My Opico drier is not removing any wheat at all... only chaff and dust... and using some electric.. definitely very cost effective this season
    I've found that with the Masters, this year, we're getting less screenings than a normal year. Managing to get low to mid 60s 19% up to 72 or 73.

JCB_3230

Because my wheat is only 16.5% moisture it's not in the drier for long, and only lifting bushel to 71.5 kg at best... so far

Setting cooling lower is also helping, currently set at 74F

Renaultman

Because my wheat is only 16.5% moisture it's not in the drier for long, and only lifting bushel to 71.5 kg at best... so far

Setting cooling lower is also helping, currently set at 74F
    Have you worked out the cost implications in taking it down to 13%?
    I started to think about it, but my head started to hurt. Is continuing to dry until the BW is right worth it?

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Renaultman View Post
    Have you worked out the cost implications in taking it down to 13%?
    I started to think about it, but my head started to hurt. Is continuing to dry until the BW is right worth it?
    I doubt it, that water you are heating to get out is worth 200/tonne.

Renaultman

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I doubt it, that water you are heating to get out is worth 200/tonne.
    I did think that, just to lazy to get my calculator out, not all of mine will be 200.00 a tonne mind :cry: