Thread: round up residue

davidroberts30

round up residue

thinking to dd some lucerne into barley stubbles this year
    i been told to be aware of round up residue
    i thought glyphosate was neutralized on contact with soil
    now i havent sprayed it yet but wouldnt mind getting some glypho on as its a little dirty

any thoughts?

Willscale

Re: round up residue

Quote Originally Posted by davidroberts30 View Post
    thinking to dd some lucerne into barley stubbles this year
    i been told to be aware of round up residue
    i thought glyphosate was neutralized on contact with soil
    now i havent sprayed it yet but wouldnt mind getting some glypho on as its a little dirty

any thoughts?
    I feel I have had trouble with spring rape this year. I think I sprayed too late and because its such a small seed I feel that the seed could have come into contact with decaying rootlets etc.

If I were you I would spray immediatly and drill in 10 days to 2 weeks.

brit

On the lable (of some glyphosates ) it tells you to not redrill for a certain period of time. I think its only a problem at higher rates if other factors also work against you, prticularly after grass where there is a lot of crop residue. The only time I've felt it has affected the following crop is when I've used it pre-em.

Willscale

what do you want to spray ginge?

Unless you've got a lot of couch and thistle I wouldn't think you need the full 4l/ha

davidroberts30

Quote Originally Posted by Willscale View Post
    what do you want to spray ginge?

Unless you've got a lot of couch and thistle I wouldn't think you need the full 4l/ha
    was thinking 3l/h

shakerator

If the drill works well no problem.
    If you hairpin , or have allelopathy from roots there is a problem.

This is the biggest unresolved issue for me with dd.
    Having to wait 2 weeks to drill after roundup is more risky then leaving cultivated ground undrilled.

Is drilling into "living green" safe as frederik Thomas proclaims? If so we could drill cereals into cover crops in October with confidence.

Willscale

Quote Originally Posted by shakerator View Post
    If the drill works well no problem.
    If you hairpin , or have allelopathy from roots there is a problem.

This is the biggest unresolved issue for me with dd.
    Having to wait 2 weeks to drill after roundup is more risky then leaving cultivated ground undrilled.

Is drilling into "living green" safe as frederik Thomas proclaims? If so we could drill cereals into cover crops in October with confidence.
    Well as a counter argument people have drilled turnips etc. into grass sprayed off for years with a moore drill - so maybe?

Cereals go deeper and away from potential problems. I don't think the cold weather helped my situation either.

JD_Kid

only heard of it once seemed to think the new roots taped in to the dieing roots and spray crossed over

drilled paddocks any were between 1/2 an hour after spraying to 6 months after spraying have not seen any probs

spray rates from .5 up to 6 lt's most common around 3-4 Lt's of 360AI

some add on's can have added probs IE granstar and ecsort etc etc

that being said i cringe seeing 1/2 green paddocks being drilled wet clays and too colder temps

Clive

Not DD but we have cultivator drilled into mintilled land for years - often the same days as spraying and have never had a problem with this

it's not something that would concern me

Willscale

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    Not DD but we have cultivator drilled into mintilled land for years - often the same days as spraying and have never had a problem with this

it's not something that would concern me
    Never again will I put on 4/ha of roundup on a trashy stubble and then no till drill shallow brassica's in it in the spring.

Need to manage for a lower dose rate in the spring and 3/4 week gap at least. I think the cultivation helps dissapate the roundup from the roots or just mixed it away. Wouldn't be so concerned with wheat or barley though.

RGT

such a funny weather year any thing is or was possible out comes?????????????

mbsrhol

Quote Originally Posted by Willscale View Post
    Never again will I put on 4/ha of roundup on a trashy stubble and then no till drill shallow brassica's in it in the spring.

Need to manage for a lower dose rate in the spring and 3/4 week gap at least. I think the cultivation helps dissapate the roundup from the roots or just mixed it away. Wouldn't be so concerned with wheat or barley though.
    The organic acids from the breakdown of the trashy stubble may affect the seeds at 3/4 weeks worse than perceived roundup damage?

Willscale

Interestingly I managed to get away without pre drilling glyphosate on on WOSR after WW.

Just harvested it yesterday and one field just had kerb and so hasn't had roundup for 24 months, to me thats quite a encouraging sign as I'm wondering if I can do a bit more of that this year and seed WOSR the day after wheat. I know roundup is cheap but I'd like to get away from annual dependence and do a 4l/ha dose once every 2-3 years - I did worry about meadowgrass growth in the Autumn though.

I haven't the guts to seed WW into this stubble without roundup but I think if I had time/money/enterprise it would be interesting to seed a warm season legume in this field and then zap it or roll it off and seed WW into this from 20th September.

Another WOSR field had not had a herbicide all year (no kerb) and was a little bit grubby by yesterday but it was starting to show the power of manipulating crop cover and ultra low disturbance ie it didn't need a spray until about June this year anyway.

Apologies if these sound like stream of conciousness ramblings!

Willscale

Quote Originally Posted by mbsrhol View Post
    The organic acids from the breakdown of the trashy stubble may affect the seeds at 3/4 weeks worse than perceived roundup damage?
    I hear what your saying but I don't think in this case it was organic acids. The root mass was mainly annuals and not very well rooted perennials.

Greg

Will.

Get the HGCA to do some work on the Ann Kennedy theory.

That is what I am trying to do here with the GRDC.

York

two points I understand on the topic of Glyphosate:
    - the problem accours with Glyphosate when a high percentage is not taken up by living plants but by the soil or residue. If the Glyphosate is taken up by living plants it's converted, so "harmless". But if not it stays like it is.
    - as less OM &/or lighter the soil is as more is prone to problems with Glyphosate.
    With the availability of Glyphosate tests in a lab, bee it for feed, soil or plants, which cost's around 30 to 40,- € there is no excuse to wait for others to do the research. If a farmer has the "idea" that it could be left over Glyphosate he should have a test run. Then you have facts to talk about and not just the "coffee house" talk.
    We will do this test's when we are thinking that Glyphosate residue is a problem, but furthermore we will do also test's on the potential left overs of "sulphonide urea" & IPU.
    Just to put some more fuel on this. In Bavaria there was a big discussion of Glyphosate causing problems in ´potatoes & maise. They said it affected 300+ ha losses. As sooon as we pointed out the option of the test there where this reactions:
    - no more talk about Glyphosate
    - never seen a test done
    Farmers just like the coffee house talk, my conclusion. If it is not the weather which to blame it's a "mystic" other property, bee it in this case Glyphosate.
    York-Th.