Thread: wet soil

tote

wet soil

can the dd members give me a idea what they are doing with there wet soil.will it dry out naturally or will you move something to get some air into it. is this a bad year to start dding. i feel im in a catch twenty two ive got a claydon but the soil is so wet i just dont think it going to dry out and just smere like buggerey thanks tote.

REW

Re: wet soil

At the moment I intend to leave it, doing anything to soil that is so wet is a waste of time and money IMO
    First year DD for me where the ground is ok (not tramlines and the odd wet patch) I am impressed with the structure and worm numbers.
    I will need to do something on the wet patches but not yet.

Clive

Nothing ! leave it alone to dry (hopefully)

you can only damage it at this point

honest john

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    Nothing ! leave it alone to dry (hopefully)

you can only damage it at this point
    You are so right clive. Combines sinking in quite a bit on ploughed ground.

Will Gilman

Have faith in The claydon, every time I have cultivated any bad bits I have always regretted it. If there are combine wheelings, I have found drilling at an angle across them tends to level them. may be straw rake after if you need to level it even more.

Jim Bullock

Staw-rake and let the volunteers grow... will do more good than any amount of cultivations (unless you are going to plough..!)

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bullock View Post
    Staw-rake and let the volunteers grow... will do more good than any amount of cultivations (unless you are going to plough..!)
    my plan Jim exactly ! volunteers will dry soil faster than anything else - are you pulling up last years tramlines ? I am thinking of doing that where they are bad (most places !) just to level really

Jim Bullock

Just leveling with the flexitine where necessary..
    There is one very large farmer in the severn valley whom I have the greatest respect for...(I will PM you his name) who farms some very difficult land and he has always said that if you push your land our your capabilities you will go backwards..this year is a prime example..

shakerator

my plan Jim exactly ! volunteers will dry soil faster than anything else - are you pulling up last years tramlines ? I am thinking of doing that where they are bad (most places !) just to level really
    Osr vol yes cereals not so much. Cool and wet next week.
    terrible year for dd year one. Years 2 and 3 the soil is firm and stands a chance.

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by shakerator View Post
    Osr vol yes cereals not so much. Cool and wet next week.
    terrible year for dd year one. Years 2 and 3 the soil is firm and stands a chance.
    My plans to dd haven't changed yet, I see it being an advantage to not disturb and wet soil not a bad thing ??

in fact I'm more concerned about and making alternative plans for my OSR establishment which was still to be done off the back of a solo this year, the surface will soon dry but I really don't want to do anything deeper than a couple of inches if it stays wet. - If it's no dryer at depth when the time comes I will either autocast or use the 750a for that job as well

why everyone is banging on that ploughing is the solution I have no idea ! imagine what you are going to bring up in many cases !!

Willscale

My plans to dd haven't changed yet, I see it being an advantage to not disturb and wet soil not a bad thing ??

in fact I'm more concerned about and making alternative plans for my OSR establishment which was still to be done off the back of a solo this year, the surface will soon dry but I really don't want to do anything deeper than a couple of inches if it stays wet. - If it's no dryer at depth when the time comes I will either autocast or use the 750a for that job as well

why everyone is banging on that ploughing is the solution I have no idea ! imagine what you are going to bring up in many cases !!
    Pretty relaxed about direct drilling again - to be honest every year is a good year for direct drilling ONCE you get into it and up to speed with it all. I'm sure I'll have one or two mistakes but how can you not when your trying out new things? (that said the soil isn't that wet here now! - not that it makes much difference to me anyway)

Clive - I would have no qualms at all about drilling rape with the 750. I do it and it works well in terms of placement and seed to soil contact. Yes in a perfect world personally I'd be tempted to use something like a seedhawk some of the time but I'm not really sure if it would make a lot of difference to yield apart from the cosmetic.

Been looking at the roots from a subsoiled bit of the field compared with straight DD and I see very little difference - and certainly I wouldn't fancy tilling up all those oilseed rape root fissures now - perfect for wheat and oxgen to find its way around. Read a while back about how if the rape plant starts its life in a more "consolidated" field then it will grow ok but what it really hates is the interface between loose and more consolidated soil. Would love to see some more research on this because i think thats what i'm observing.

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by Willscale View Post
    Pretty relaxed about direct drilling again - to be honest every year is a good year for direct drilling ONCE you get into it and up to speed with it all. I'm sure I'll have one or two mistakes but how can you not when your trying out new things? (that said the soil isn't that wet here now! - not that it makes much difference to me anyway)

Clive - I would have no qualms at all about drilling rape with the 750. I do it and it works well in terms of placement and seed to soil contact. Yes in a perfect world personally I'd be tempted to use something like a seedhawk some of the time but I'm not really sure if it would make a lot of difference to yield apart from the cosmetic.

Been looking at the roots from a subsoiled bit of the field compared with straight DD and I see very little difference - and certainly I wouldn't fancy tilling up all those oilseed rape root fissures now - perfect for wheat and oxgen to find its way around. Read a while back about how if the rape plant starts its life in a more "consolidated" field then it will grow ok but what it really hates is the interface between loose and more consolidated soil. Would love to see some more research on this because i think thats what i'm observing.
    Will, the only reason I was planning to use the solo establishment on OSR was because I had already committed to sell straw from that land and I have heaps of sewage sludge to be spread on them - using the solo would sort and wheeling etc was the plan

however if it is wet still at the end of the month the straw will no longer be baled and the sludge not spread this year so the 750a or maybe autocast will establish the oSR

shakerator

you could be right. but we are a heavy land farm and i personally dont think slug pellets will be enough for us this year without some tillage. i also think residual N levels will be extremely low- possibly exaggerating slow 750 establishment unless a starter is used.

yellow belly

Quote Originally Posted by shakerator View Post
    you could be right. but we are a heavy land farm and i personally dont think slug pellets will be enough for us this year without some tillage. i also think residual N levels will be extremely low- possibly exaggerating slow 750 establishment unless a starter is used.
    +1