Thread: Mzuri or Versaplus

Johndeere

Mzuri or Versaplus

We have a demo of each of these this autumn but before they come which do you think will be best. Mzuri looks an excellent strip till drill, I have seen some good looking crops drilled with this via SRB's stubble stomp. My worry is we have cut some big ruts this year and I don't think the mzuri will help much to level them out. Would a versadrill be a better bet with more cultivation options. You can strip till with this drill, disc cultivate if required and maybe better seed placement with the disc coulters. Any comments great fully received and I will post my findings come demo time

Willscale

Re: Mzuri or Versaplus

Personally I would always prefer to keep drilling and cultivation separate operations.

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by Willscale View Post
    Personally I would always prefer to keep drilling and cultivation separate operations.
    plus 1

there is no sense in creating a stale seed bed the same day as drilling - it's just asking for BG !!

shakerator

Quote Originally Posted by Willscale View Post
    +2

no chance for surface weathering

Johndeere

So is the mzuri the better bet as less surface movement? Or do I currently have the best system of direct drilling rape on trailed trio and sprinter drilling cereals into trio'd soils?

Alistair_Nelson

Don't think your too far wrong would be very interested to see the Horsch drill that I know has come over hear which is like a sprinter but the next stage on more of a direct drill the ones I know of a 12m ones for ctf but that and a trio would give everything or as all you lack at the moment is the ability to DD Cereals. But a straight Sumo Unidrill or JD would give you that 2.

Cheers

Alistair

Spud

My 2p, fwiw. As far as weed control is concerned, it's either stale seedbed, spray off and drill, OR move the absolute minimum of soil.
    This year, I feel soil needs to dry between passes, ie the versaplus will pull up too much moisture and risk compaction with the tyres and smearing of the seed slot. To be fair, th principle is similar for most of the drills on the market, it is possible to have too few passes.

Johndeere

Quote Originally Posted by Spud View Post
    My 2p, fwiw. As far as weed control is concerned, it's either stale seedbed, spray off and drill, OR move the absolute minimum of soil.
    This year, I feel soil needs to dry between passes, ie the versaplus will pull up too much moisture and risk compaction with the tyres and smearing of the seed slot. To be fair, th principle is similar for most of the drills on the market, it is possible to have too few passes.
    So do you think the direct strip till drills sales will take a hit this year due to weather conditions?

Spud

Quote Originally Posted by Johndeere View Post
    So do you think the direct strip till drills sales will take a hit this year due to weather conditions?
    Not necessarily, they all have a place. The simplest or most versatile are probably more resilient. A drill that can only cope with certain conditions is expensive.

Andrew Kerr

The main thing is to use a drill that will work on cultivated ground if conditions require.

I have drilled after spuds with a Claydon and a Mzuri, but i did subsoil and press first!

Similarly a 750A will happily work in a min till regime.

Willscale

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Kerr View Post
    The main thing is to use a drill that will work on cultivated ground if conditions require.

I have drilled after spuds with a Claydon and a Mzuri, but i did subsoil and press first!

Similarly a 750A will happily work in a min till regime.
    I can't really think of a direct drill that doesn't to be honest?

Which is why I've never understood when people say the combi drill is "versatile"! :lolk:

Andrew Kerr

I wouldnt say a Cross Slot is suited to min till really as it needs firm ground according to some?

Willscale

I wouldnt say a Cross Slot is suited to min till really as it needs firm ground according to some?
    Yeah point taken, but if it was firmed with a roller it would probably work fine with low down pressure.

York

just wait a little longer and you might be able to buy the "egg-laying-woll producing-milking-sow".
    York-Th.