Thread: Maize

A.R

Maize

Due to the current ground conditions, I can't plant all the rape I want to. I am therefore looking at growing maize for a neighbour. I pay to grow it, they spread 10 tons of muck per acre, then they pay per ton at harvest and they pay for harvesting. How much do I charge per ton? What is anyone else doing in a similar situation?

darrendee09

Re: Maize

you'd be better of just hiring/renting the field out for maize, as the way your working now, if the crop fails its you taking the hit

JohnDeere8530

costs me just under 1k /ha everything in

davidroberts30

Quote Originally Posted by darrendee09 View Post
    you'd be better of just hiring/renting the field out for maize, as the way your working now, if the crop fails its you taking the hit
    was thinking that especially if we have another year like this 1

Big Vern

Quote Originally Posted by darrendee09 View Post

AR,

that would be a better option, they supply muck fert, seed etc, and pay harvesting costs, if they want you to do ground work etc then adjust the rent accordingly, you dont want the hit of having a feild(s) of maize next year that ara A "dead" worth nowt, or B fantastic and worth not a lot as theres loada about,
    growing for some one else can be a nightmare unless you agree all prices up front etc..

cozzie

Quote Originally Posted by Big Vern View Post
    growing for some one else can be a nightmare unless you agree all prices up front etc..
    I had a gentleman's agreement with a guy before a seed hit the ground, now he is doing his best in not honoring it, by the looks of things I will have to give him a few more bob, I need the crop but FFS some guys have no word

Big Vern

Quote Originally Posted by cozzie View Post
    I had a gentleman's agreement with a guy before a seed hit the ground, now he is doing his best in not honoring it, by the looks of things I will have to give him a few more bob, I need the crop but FFS some guys have no word
    we got burnt the other way chap agreed a price he was going to pay then when it came to harvest and it was gone it wasnt paying what he said..
    get it in writing or let him tkae the finacial cost.. it can be too expensive to do any other way

Mayo

Quote Originally Posted by cozzie View Post
    Whoa whoa whoa.

Anyone entering any kind of agreement, verbal, handshake or otherwise needs to make sure the man taking the stuff fronts up the cash for the seed.

In doing so he is then committed to that crop, and cannot back out in a good grass year/bad maize year.

Don't go agreeing to pay anything for the muck for it, either, because you might have to rectify the damage done by the harvesting of it, plus cleaning the road or something afterwards.

Heard of one party doing a runner too many times to watch anyone fall in the same trap. Don't say I didn't warn ye!

Many folk who have their own kit etc would rather do the cultivations and so on themselves rather than let anyone else in to do it, plus making use of available labour etc.

How you charge for the stuff, whether per acre or adjusted for yield etc is up for discussion- what is the crop worth to him and what is the crop worth to you for its agronomic benefits etc?

cozzie

I am buying the crop of maize, I offered him a price of X pence per DM and X pence per % starch, bit of haggling later and we agreed a price before the maize was planted. I'm dealing with him regularly and he knows my word is that. Unfortunately his after being offered about 40% for the crop so he is doing his best to back out. didnt put it in writing as I trust who I deal with, and as yet to have a problem. My problem will sort itself out but, FFS if you do a deal you do a deal

Mayo

That in my view is a far worse scenario; he is leaving you with no fodder, potentially. If I ran away from an agreement whereby someone else grew my maize, the host farmer would still have something to sell.

cozzie

Quote Originally Posted by Mayo View Post
    That in my view is a far worse scenario; he is leaving you with no fodder, potentially. If I ran away from an agreement whereby someone else grew my maize, the host farmer would still have something to sell.
    Yip I cut back a third of my acreage as I said I would let him grow it and hopefully if all went right this year he could grow all my maize next year. It was costing a bit more than growing it myself but I can make more from having the land in grass during the summer than in maize. The problem will get sorted but extra money can make people forget very quick

cattleman

Yes this years a funny one for maize,i have grown some for a friend of mine ,we agreed a price per acre before drilling based on my costs ..which if he grew on his own land he would have to incur,the crop was looking very poor .....until we sprayed it with a product called maize boost and now one really wudt think it was the same fields...amazing .We always spread a good dose of broiler muck on the land ,8yrs,....now i am beginning to wonder if we are locking up nutrients by doing this ....judging by the responce to this spray i feel we must be.

Mayo

Cattleman, I would not think you are doing much harm with your muck, the problem is that in the cold and wet maize just doesn't seem to want to scavenge the nutrients very well, a cocktail of foliar feeds is quite cheap but also very very effective, the trick is to do it early enough before the crop sits there for too long.

Obviously this year spraying has not been straight forward though.

How tall is your crop? I've heard maize is better down there.

cattleman

Quote Originally Posted by Mayo View Post
    Cattleman, I would not think you are doing much harm with your muck, the problem is that in the cold and wet maize just doesn't seem to want to scavenge the nutrients very well, a cocktail of foliar feeds is quite cheap but also very very effective, the trick is to do it early enough before the crop sits there for too long.

Obviously this year spraying has not been straight forward though.

How tall is your crop? I've heard maize is better down there.
    Yes i am on the blackdowns and certainly a lot better than most ,i do feel its also helped with the recent sunny humid weather,mine is looking dark green just starting to tassle and is approx 5 to 6 ft high ..not the tallest i know but it does now look very healthy and rigurous.what has suffered most is where there is any shade from trees or as you say any wet spots