Thread: 135 industrial

agrotron 150.7

135 industrial

Hi is ther a diffrence between a yellow 135 and the mf 20 we are painting 1 at the moment and skid unit grey, rims and bonnet chin and cheeks silver and mudgaurds bonnet top and dash and wheel centers yellow is that correct!!? It has holes in the bonnet wher the medalians go so is the decals just the same as the red 135 whats the diffrent between mf 20 and a yellow 135 look forward to the replys

superspec

Re: 135 industrial

What age is it?
    If its a 20 everything is yellow including hoses, filters, wheel nuts and bolts etc other than the lower and upper grill which was all black with no silver stripes.

If its an early tractor it was a 2135 and they were grey skid unit, yellow tin, yellow wheel centers and silver mist rims, black and silver grill and silver side and bottom panel like a 135.

Mf 20 have not got medallions 2135 have

Pennine Ploughing

Quote Originally Posted by agrotron 150.7 View Post
    Hi is ther a diffrence between a yellow 135 and the mf 20 we are painting 1 at the moment and skid unit grey, rims and bonnet chin and cheeks silver and mudgaurds bonnet top and dash and wheel centers yellow is that correct!!? It has holes in the bonnet wher the medalians go so is the decals just the same as the red 135 whats the diffrent between mf 20 and a yellow 135 look forward to the replys

might be wrong here, but do the yellow ones not have extra brake shoes fitted, an extra pair in each side for hand brake and a pair in each side for foot brake, someone will know for sure

Richard_S

Quote Originally Posted by Pennine Ploughing View Post
    might be wrong here, but do the yellow ones not have extra brake shoes fitted, an extra pair in each side for hand brake and a pair in each side for foot brake, someone will know for sure
    I think it was the 40 that had the extra brakes, they had the backend of a 165 with the discs, and the outboard drums.

I think a 20 was just a yellow 135, more or less

agrotron 150.7

Quote Originally Posted by Pennine Ploughing View Post
    Yea this has the extra brakes,

agrotron 150.7

Some ideot painted it red, so im just wanting to know whicg it is the holes in the bonnet are factory punch holes for the medalion dont no the year atm how come ther is yellow 135 then 2135 and a mf 20 what the reason for 3 of the same but diffrent paint scheme confused.com i am

superspec

There was never a yellow 135 that was a 2135 with speedo, dual brakes etc.

Towards the end of the swept axle 135 production they were painted all yellow except the grill and renamed a MF 20 these had their own MF 20 transfer that i imagine covered the holes that were punched for the medallions.

JimF

agrotron 150.7

Quote Originally Posted by superspec View Post
    There was never a yellow 135 that was a 2135 with speedo, dual brakes etc.

Towards the end of the swept axle 135 production they were painted all yellow except the grill and renamed a MF 20 these had their own MF 20 transfer that i imagine covered the holes that were punched for the medallions.

It has staight axle the customer wants it painting the way i described so that means it wil have to be a 2135 then im almost sure it sais mf20 on a plate ont dash

mf165

My uncle has a 20 and theres a 2135 in the village as well. Both very nice the main differences between theese particular two , 2135 has medallian, swept axle but both have twin brakes and a speedometer.

dgw

Doesn't really matter what colour they were when new; its what you want to do and how they look that matters. We have an L regd 1973 straight axle yellow '135' with dual brakes and a speedometer that was an ex Clwyd council tractor.

It has been restored with MF charcoal chassis, silver mist panels as per the 135, and MF two pack yellow tin work with 135 medallions. One set of wheels has yellow centres with silver rims, the other set is all silver with oversize 13.6- 28 Firestone radials. It ends to look more modern with all silver wheels.
    Others may disagree but we think that regardless of what colour it 'should be' it looks ten times better than an all yellow tractor.

Julian_P

Quote Originally Posted by dgw View Post
    Others may disagree but we think that regardless of what colour it 'should be' it looks ten times better than an all yellow tractor.
    Of course you must paint it to make it look how you want it to look. But I suspect you may slightly 'clobber' it's re-sale value if you have it all the colours of the rainbow. Horses for courses though!

Julian

dgw

Yes, I fully agree that it may well 'devalue' a tractor, and I've no doubt that the purists may throw up their hands in horror at something that isn't 'original'; but at the end of the day it's got to look good, and be how you want it to look.

If slightly oversize radials look and perform better in the field, and if you can make one or two other minor changes to improve looks and practicality then I will always make those changes, regardless of a few hundred quid difference in what it may fetch one day when you're long gone! The original wasn't always necessarily the very best.

Will post a photo in due course.

Lazy Sod

About 40 years ago, the next door farmer was selling his surplus straw in the swath. This was bought by a farmer with a large dairy unit who sent up his staff and machinary to bale and haul the straw home.

I saw that they were loading the bales on to the trailers with a yellow MF35 and front loader. Having not seen a yellow 35 before, when the tractor was parked up I went over the fence to have a better look.

I had thought that it had been making very quick and smooth transitions from forward to reverse, and could now see why. It had a torque converter transmission; 2 pedals, one for forward and the other for reversing, by the brake pedals. Did the later 135 industrials have this option? I have never seen one.

I have been hooked on clutchless transmissions ever since. I have had several automatic cars, hydrostatic lawn mowers and my lovely old JCB Loadall.

dgw

Bear in mind that over the years machinery firms have frequently altered their colour combinations. Massey in particular have changed their chassis colours, often back and forth, numerous times over the past forty years, and are still doing so.

Personally I prefer the Charcoal grey chassis for most Masseys and would tend to use that regardless of model and year of manufacture; others will have their own preference, so why not choose that when restoring?
    Just because a firm happened to be using a certain shade of paint in a particular year (for whatever reason) it doesn't mean that that shade always looked the best on a certain tractor or machine.