Thread: Unable to rotate photos

Unable to rotate photos

Transferred some photos from camera to PC, some were taken with the camera on its side so need rotating.

Some will rotate no problem, others will not, and this message pops up :-

Cannot rotate image. The file might be in use or open in another program, or the file or folder might be read only.

What does this mean, why does it only apply to some of the photos, and how do I get round it ?

Re: Unable to rotate photos

Quote Originally Posted by 6920s pilot View Post
    Transferred some photos from camera to PC, some were taken with the camera on its side so need rotating.

Some will rotate no problem, others will not, and this message pops up :-

Cannot rotate image. The file might be in use or open in another program, or the file or folder might be read only.

What does this mean, why does it only apply to some of the photos, and how do I get round it ?
    4wd might be more the one to answer this.......

The file might be in use or open in another program - as it says, there may be a copy open & in use somewhere on your PC, if you close the page down that they are on then you should be able to alter the files then

the file or folder might be read only - if you right click the image and go properties, it should say at the bottom of the drop down box if its read only file, there may be an option to deselect that so you can alter it??

ff
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

There may be a setting in the camera menu to auto-rotate, if this is off try it turned on and vice-versa.
    Each image file has hidden extra information embedded with it which can be read with varying success by other programs you use later e.g. to resize.
    It can be frustrating when you see it correctly orientated on the computer, but when uploaded to a host they read the embedded info wrongly and change it back.

They'll all catch up eventually I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Footsfitter View Post
    4wd might be more the one to answer this.......

The file might be in use or open in another program - as it says, there may be a copy open & in use somewhere on your PC, if you close the page down that they are on then you should be able to alter the files then

the file or folder might be read only - if you right click the image and go properties, it should say at the bottom of the drop down box if its read only file, there may be an option to deselect that so you can alter it??

ff
    There can't be any copies elsewhere on the PC as they were transferred immediately before I tried to rotate them

The drop down box in Properties has an 'Attributes' section with a tick box for Read only and for Hidden, both of which are blank.

Quote Originally Posted by 4wd View Post
    There may be a setting in the camera menu to auto-rotate, if this is off try it turned on and vice-versa.
    Each image file has hidden extra information embedded with it which can be read with varying success by other programs you use later e.g. to resize.
    It can be frustrating when you see it correctly orientated on the computer, but when uploaded to a host they read the embedded info wrongly and change it back.

They'll all catch up eventually I suppose.
    There is a rotate facility in the menu but no auto rotate (Nikon Coolpix L23).
    It just seems strange that some photos will rotate no problem and others, taken at the same time, won't.
    If I Right click on the thumbnail pics in 'My Pictures', and try to rotate from the drop down list, I get the message as in my previous post.
    If I Double left click on the thumbnail to make it bigger, then use the rotate icon, it will rotate the picture, but then when the larger picture is closed the thumbnail reverts back to being on its side.

Beats me

P.S. A maximum of 4 smileys per post ????????? Are they in short supply ? (Would put eye rolling smiley here, but have used my allowance)