Thread: Field levelling??

nixorganix

Field levelling??

How would you go about levelling fields in the build up to DDing? Have plough furrows plus other ploughed humps and hollows on pikes, shakeaerator lines and light ring feeder circles to remove. I'm on light gravel land and thinking cheap second hand machine options How level does it need to be?

Thanks in anticipation.

Nick Adams

Jim Bullock

Re: Field levelling??

Flexitine with straight points...

Mr Bean

I agree with Jim, shallow tines best.

How level depends a little on which drill you intend using. Whilst it's obviously best to start with level fields, a SimTec T-Sem is basically a shallow tine cultivator, so will soon level your fields any way, a low disturbance disc drill won't.

nixorganix

Thanks for the responses.

Got a vibroflex fitted with Bourgault sweeps for shallow weed control so easy enought to swap for some knock on digging points. Work down to about 4" over say 2-3 passes? Following with a Moore so little soil disturbance but does follow the ground well.

agricontract

Power harrow

Rob Holmes

We've got a Flexitine if you want it Nick, i could do some drilling too... I know where you live!

brit

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bullock View Post
    Flexitine with straight points...
    you seem to like your flexitine Jim. Is that what what we call a pigtail tine or is it different.

I found a light springtine (S tine) worked well for leveling