Thread: Glastir Woodland (Wales)

Glastir Woodland (Wales)

It is totally different to Glastir enviroment scheme http://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/INFD-6J2GXD
    http://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/infd-8wxk8v
    Any body in the scheme I am looking in to it myself , to plant trees on wet (fluke infested ground) ,rough and steep ground.
    Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

Re: Glastir Woodland (Wales)

yes.

Quote Originally Posted by linga View Post
    yes.
    And

I am going down the route of hopefully planting 3.5 haon rough& wet ground.
    We shall see .
    Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

Quote Originally Posted by skoda View Post
    And

I am going down the route of hopefully planting 3.5 haon rough& wet ground.
    We shall see .
    What do you want to know?
    Its easy enough, you have to get a woodland planner to do the application and they put it forward to FCW who agree or not and then they send out a contract .
    Then you just have to do the work and the grant money arrives when you send in confirmation of completion.
    They may or may not inspect it but so far the process seems ok.
    The woodland planner you engage acts as your advisor and his services regarding planning and advice is free to you

Nothings for nothing?

Quote Originally Posted by RGT View Post
    Nothings for nothing?
    No that's not true the art it to know when your on to a good thing, don't think you can plant peaty ground

Its easy enough, you have to get a woodland planner to do the application and they put it forward to FCW who agree or not and then they send out a contract .
    Then you just have to do the work and the grant money arrives when you send in confirmation of completion.
    They may or may not inspect it but so far the process seems ok.
    The woodland planner you engage acts as your advisor and his services regarding planning and advice is free to you
    Only if the land is classified as "Green" .... sounds to me that the land Skoda has in mind may well be marked amber or red.

Another point to note is that all works that come under the Glastir banner these days require "activity"! It is no longer acceptable to just plant the trees and forget them as Glastir woodland creation will require the owner to actively manage the new woods e.g. weed control and in time, potentially side brashing etc.

Skoda will also need to consider which category he wants his woods to sit in as there is a higher planting & grant rate for "carbon" than other types and less for conifer.
    Under the changes to Glastir woodlands, not all the original agent planners qualify so check your chosen one is (starting with Coed Cymru isn't a bad idea)

What I am not sure about is how long would take to plant the trees ,somthing I have not done before .
    How many can one person plant in a day .
    I guess one would use a ferriting spade ,rather than any other tool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bald Rick View Post
    Only if the land is classified as "Green" .... sounds to me that the land Skoda has in mind may well be marked amber or red.

Another point to note is that all works that come under the Glastir banner these days require "activity"! It is no longer acceptable to just plant the trees and forget them as Glastir woodland creation will require the owner to actively manage the new woods e.g. weed control and in time, potentially side brashing etc.

Skoda will also need to consider which category he wants his woods to sit in as there is a higher planting & grant rate for "carbon" than other types and less for conifer.
    Under the changes to Glastir woodlands, not all the original agent planners qualify so check your chosen one is (starting with Coed Cymru isn't a bad idea)
    The area is amber but it requires consoltation ,which one would expect.
    It is Coed Cymru we are talking to,and very good chap he is too.
    Thae catogry is Native Woodland Biodiversity ,it would be a challenge to put enough trees in the higher paying schemes ,and with the carbon native wood catogry,the highest grant rate , there is no garantee one would be alowed to ever harvest them as yet I believe.
    Good point you make about manegement ,the Coed Cymru chap has drilled this into us, and as my aim is to have a wood I can mostly or parshaly copice after 10 years I am keen to do this as it is vital so I can get a good crop in the future not to mention pride.
    I would assume with the maintanance that there will be about the same amount of work if not more in keeping competion grass & weeds at bay untill there is some sort of umbrella, somthing else I am keen to know about .

What I am not sure about is how long would take to plant the trees ,somthing I have not done before .
    How many can one person plant in a day .
    I guess one would use a ferriting spade ,rather than any other tool.
    The area is amber but it requires consoltation ,which one would expect.
    It is Coed Cymru we are talking to,and very good chap he is too.
    Thae catogry is Native Woodland Biodiversity ,it would be a challenge to put enough trees in the higher paying schemes ,and with the carbon native wood catogry,the highest grant rate , there is no garantee one would be alowed to ever harvest them as yet I believe.
    Good point you make about manegement ,the Coed Cymru chap has drilled this into us, and as my aim is to have a wood I can mostly or parshaly copice after 10 years I am keen to do this as it is vital so I can get a good crop in the future not to mention pride.
    I would assume with the maintanance that there will be about the same amount of work if not more in keeping competion grass & weeds at bay untill there is some sort of umbrella, somthing else I am keen to know about .
    I managed to plant 270 in a day ( thats in early December so a short day) but with two of us we managed nearer 400 on a regular basis and we just used an ordinary garden spade , one of us notching and planting and the other staking and putting rabbit guards on.
    Management is to weed every year for first three years and then the canopy should be full enough and the trees big enough to thrive on their own. Weeding can be any method you like but we will spray I think.
    Obviously if the weeds are still capable of strangling the trees after three years its worth doing a bit more weed control.
    After three years they come along and tell us how many or if to plant any areas to replace dead trees or thicken up the planting.
    Thereafter its just general management to suit yourself until any thinning or coppicing needs doing.

Agree with Linga

If your whips are bare rooted then a spade cut in T or L shape best. If they are container grown, then the fastest way is with a bar but this method can make the hole a bit smeary esp if on clay.
    Spike H. will see you right although he always claims to be very busy

Agree with Linga

If your whips are bare rooted then a spade cut in T or L shape best. If they are container grown, then the fastest way is with a bar but this method can make the hole a bit smeary esp if on clay.
    Spike H. will see you right although he always claims to be very busy
    Thats the man , busy shooting grey squirrils

Rick & Linga useful advice thanks.

Anyone else STILL waiting for their application to be processed. I expect they will not let us have more time to do the work .

Apparently the Welsh Government have dropped the 100,000 acre target for planting trees ,without any public announcement, well fancy that .

The whisper on the grapevine is that Natural Resources Wales will not have any new funding schemes for tree planting again this year , which begs the question what are they doing with the extra modulation money put aside .
    Very bad news for tree sapling growers & wholesalers , not mention felling & planting contractors who are totally dependant, because everyone with plans to plant & fell are holding back for some funding ,presumably when they do get their act together will all these skilled people reappear by pure magic so trees & labour will not need to be sourced from outside Wales.

The whisper on the grapevine is that Natural Resources Wales will not have any new funding schemes for tree planting again this year , which begs the question what are they doing with the extra modulation money put aside .
    Very bad news for tree sapling growers & wholesalers , not mention felling & planting contractors who are totally dependant, because everyone with plans to plant & fell are holding back for some funding ,presumably when they do get their act together will all these skilled people reappear by pure magic so trees & labour will not need to be sourced from outside Wales.
    The problem is many fold unfortunately.

1) The old RDP which covered the woodland (Glastir) planting scheme is now dead although they should have the money to meet any agreements already signed or ongoing.

2) the successful challenge to BPS by the Upland Forum (Naughty word inserted here) has delayed the launch of the new RDP whilst WG determine how to divvy out Pillar 1. However the RDP has been approved in principal by EU so should be ready to go soon

3) The whisper is that the extra modulation money is going to be put in to a massive new Animal Health & Welfare scheme to be launched at RWS.

It is possible that woodland planting may become a higher level incentive

The problem is many fold unfortunately.

1) The old RDP which covered the woodland (Glastir) planting scheme is now dead although they should have the money to meet any agreements already signed or ongoing.

2) the successful challenge to BPS by the Upland Forum (Naughty word inserted here) has delayed the launch of the new RDP whilst WG determine how to divvy out Pillar 1. However the RDP has been approved in principal by EU so should be ready to go soon

3) The whisper is that the extra modulation money is going to be put in to a massive new Animal Health & Welfare scheme to be launched at RWS.

It is possible that woodland planting may become a higher level incentive
    I would say that the lost court case is the reason why the assembly policy has gone teats up ,but when new schemes come to fruition ,and I am aware there are lots of ideas floating around ,mainly flood prevention tree planting ,it could be a massive problem to get the ball rolling again .

This new Animal Health & Welfare scheme , could part of this possibly be vaccinating a certain wild animal that is taking over the welsh country side.

I would say that the lost court case is the reason why the assembly policy has gone teats up ,but when new schemes come to fruition ,and I am aware there are lots of ideas floating around ,mainly flood prevention tree planting ,it could be a massive problem to get the ball rolling again .

This new Animal Health & Welfare scheme , could part of this possibly be vaccinating a certain wild animal that is taking over the welsh country side.
    No - nothing to do with TB.

As a lowland farmer, I am bloody angry that the hillbillies are after yet more of my BPS. Don't they know that their job is to keep the uplands accessible for leisure activities by using woolly lawnmowers and leave the production of food to those of us with proper land?

Any one received their annual GWCP payment yet from the Welsh Assembly.

I have had a double penalty for claiming BPS on land I have planted trees on despite being entitled to do so as I was a claimant prior to 2008 on this land , as was agreed in my contract. All because they do not have an official code that distinguishes this fact. This is my first year for claiming GWCP , but I am aware that this was a problem last year as well for farmers with the same circumstance ,but nothing was done to rectify the problem.

I have had as much hassle with the paper work for this scheme as I have had planting close on to 8000 trees on steep and awkward ground .

Hopefully we will get a change of Government next Thursday , but I suspect most of Taffia will vote them back in.