Thread: Drilling cover crop?

BSH

Drilling cover crop?

I was hoping that I would have been able to get my Pedders #3 mix in by now but havent because I am waiting to bale the the straw (for my own use) I just wanted advice please on the drilling. I thought I read in a post from Martian that he had just put his mix straight in? I was intending to spray off with glyphosate and then drill. Is it a waste to spray or worthwhile/essential?

martian

Re: Drilling cover crop?

Some of ours had pre-harvest roundup, the rest was pretty clean anyway so just cut it in whilst conditions were so good. Chopped straw, I'm hoping it'll keep the ground moist (for the benefit of our French readers...)

Still got a bit to do, but won't get to the wheat there for a day or two

MrNoo

Same here, the fields that are cut are badly rutted plus one has straw in it, going to wizz over with the Subdisc then straight in with the Vaddy asap, stubbles are pretty clean here. I don`t have the balls to just go straight in with the Vaddy as feel it`s too wet!!

BSH

Thanks Martian, I understand now how you got away with it. I will spray my stubbles off as soon as I get them cleared and drill straight away. Hopefully the sun will shine long enough to get the straw baled in the latter part of the week.

dontknowanything

What's the benefit of spraying off the stubble first? I actively want wheat volunteers - more grazing. Or am I missing something?

Barleycorn

I think it's the novelty of being able to use glyphosate that's gone to his head!

(Sorry Richard! A couple of pints an acre would be very welcome here on some stubbles, bastard year for couch, I'm only jealous!)

Kentish_Andy

Why not use fusilade once crop is up and going? I would avoid the use of round up if possible especially on bare soils.

dontknowanything

I should say that I will spray it off in the spring before it goes into peas, just not pre cover crop

BSH

Only because it would seem a waste to go to the expense of planting the special mix and then not have it grow because it got choked out by all the other weeds etc. To clarify, I am putting it into a field of barley stubbles that is coming out of organic status so it is very 'green'. I think as Martian described above, a clean stubble you can get away with, but mine I dont think I could get away with.

BSH

Quote Originally Posted by Barleycorn View Post
    I think it's the novelty of being able to use glyphosate that's gone to his head!

(Sorry Richard! A couple of pints an acre would be very welcome here on some stubbles, bastard year for couch, I'm only jealous!)
    Trying not to be too 'Roundup Happy' ! But enjoying the novelty of being able to kill docks!

JD_Kid

if you are going to get weeds and grains growing that will cover the soil some grazeing ( but then you are kind defeeting the whole idea ) why are you wasteing fuel time wear and tear on machines and money on seed

just let the weeds grow and spray off the whole lot and in with the next years crop

BSH

Well the main reasons are to control the weeds in the stubble ( docks mainly- want to catch them before they go to seed) I want to get the benefit of a leguminous cover crop N fixing to benefit the following spring crop and I think I will recover the costs by selling the grazing to a local sheep farmer. It is also an experiment on 15 acres only to test the above theory!

JD_Kid

i would question if there would be a lot of N fixed over winter the plants may stop the leaching but not fix much .. i know clovers don't fix eneff for there own use in the frist year of growing