Thread: experience with RDS

.Jack

experience with RDS

For the combine, RDS CERES 8000i, moisture/yields readers are they reliable easy to set-up
    and once it is set-up. goes on the memory and holds or do they have to be set up every day? worth bothering with?
    Thinking for next year

but it depends on circumstances with the returns of this year!

Beltbreaker

Re: experience with RDS

I have had one for a couple of years and once set up they prove accurate. So long as you set them up properly. The main problem I have had is downloading the information to farmworks which for me is time consuming and complicated to such an extent I didn't try very hard last year.

As a yield metre and in cab moisture sensor it is bloody good accurately telling me my wheat was up to 36%:cry: last year. In OSR I have to clean the magic eye on the grain elevator twice a day. In all crops I do a reset on the magic eye a couple of times a day from the cab. Also take a bushel wt or two 2 or 3 times a day (at least every field) to keep it accurate. Last year we sold 647 tonnes of wheat the RDS box said we had 651 tonnes dry. The year before it wasn't much further off the pace.

It is now very old technology but software apart its pretty good.

Cheers BB

Steevo

Got one this year for the first time to try some yield mapping. Will happily report more once the combine has actually made it into a field.

Against_the_grain

We have a couple. Very good and i was 4% out on all grain sold last year. Few small issues, when my tank is full the moisture goes up by 2 or 3%

fergie35

Quote Originally Posted by Against_the_grain View Post
    We have a couple. Very good and i was 4% out on all grain sold last year. Few small issues, when my tank is full the moisture goes up by 2 or 3%

As does ours, but you can cope with that as you empty the tank quick enough you know what the true moisture is, it's hardly going to have gone up much whilst filling the last part of the tank despite what the monitor says. Or you could fit the moisture meter to the grain elevator instead depending on what combine you run.

.Jack

Thanks for the replies
    there is one thing you didn't say or explain of how easy/quick to set up for moisture readings.
    for sample: if you were harvesting at say 19% read at grain store, would RDS read the same or do you need to fiddle with it?
    I haven't patience at times! when the sun shines

I guess for the yield it have to be weighed regularly.

Badshot

Out of interest what is the approximate cost of these, my old 36 had the radioactive weigher in originally but when I bought it the cost was prohibitive with an annual charge that was likely to go up considerably so I didn't have it put back in.

Could this be fitted in it's place?

Mr Bean

Just over 3k, including fitting and gps aerial.

Steevo

Quote Originally Posted by .Jack View Post
    Thanks for the replies
    there is one thing you didn't say or explain of how easy/quick to set up for moisture readings.
    for sample: if you were harvesting at say 19% read at grain store, would RDS read the same or do you need to fiddle with it?
    I haven't patience at times! when the sun shines

I guess for the yield it have to be weighed regularly.
    Needs calibrating against a sample. I think this is best done collecting a sample from the tank whilst cutting, testing and then + or - on the screen to make it read same number.

Having a few niggles with it today it correct and still not quite there. Will probably give RDS a call tomorrow and get them to pay a visit.

Badshot

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bean View Post
    Just over 3k, including fitting and gps aerial.
    Thanks.

.Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Steevo View Post
    Needs calibrating against a sample. I think this is best done collecting a sample from the tank whilst cutting, testing and then + or - on the screen to make it read same number.

Having a few niggles with it today it correct and still not quite there. Will probably give RDS a call tomorrow and get them to pay a visit.
    Oh they will give a call then