Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I must need my head tested

Kentish_Andy

Re: I must need my head tested

Quote Originally Posted by Badshot View Post
    I hope it does what you hope, I agree entirely about the challenger. You didn't manage to get hold of any sunn hemp to try?
    After speaking to jill, thought not worth while

Willscale

buckwheat might have been a nice one...

155tm

Quote Originally Posted by Willscale View Post
    buckwheat might have been a nice one...
    and linseed for a cheap mix filler?

We have got a mix of beans oats linseed and buckwheat to try.

Barleycorn

Quote Originally Posted by shakerator View Post
    agreed , but with one addition: plant breeding is designed for tillage and moncropping, not the pioneering work you are undertaking (for which you deserve great credit).

do we need to revisit selecting for other traits? better, less lazy rooting (like cereal rye), quicker wheat establishment (like barley, less agressively bred)
    I think this is a very good point. Modern cereals have been bred to be grown almost hydroponically, sitting there like a lazy teenager while all the nutrients are hand fed. Crops such as rye and oats produce massive roots, which provide plenty of feed for the soil organisms, and leave loads of biomass in the soil after the crop is harvested. The roots from a three year cocksfoot ley will produce 30 tons/acre organic matter when it's broken up.

I thought I had sourced some Maris Widgeon seed to try this autumn, from a thatcher, but he never kept any back. All modern plant breeders are interested in is producing dwarf wheats that will keep chemical sales up.

We have just harvested nearly 2 1/2 tons/acre spring oats, which I thought wasn't bad for a second cerial. Tons of straw too, which will be a problem if we can't get it baled before the weather breaks.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by strip-till-phil View Post
    All my rape stubble's are ready to drill with wheat bar a squirt of roundup
    I am aiming for a similar approach though my only concern is that where we now have a lovely blanket of OSR hopefully doing what Jim says below, where we have know grass weed areas i assume the rape's dominance will be affecting the ability of the brome and blackgrass to chit For that reason i think i will glyphosate the bad areas now, rake again and then spray off just before or after drilling........

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bullock View Post
    We are going to let the rape volunteers do our cultivation work...the small plant in the photo has put down roots well over 100mm (in just 10 days) so it is not only improving the soil stucture but it is removing soil moisture and capturing nutrients which would otherwise be leached away...all for free..and cannot be relicated by any cultivation machinery..As for the slugs..at harvest there were literally hundreds but after a couple of passes with our rake we have only managed to find 3/sq.meter...not to say they have all gone...

Clive

We are going to let the rape volunteers do our cultivation work...the small plant in the photo has put down roots well over 100mm (in just 10 days) so it is not only improving the soil stucture but it is removing soil moisture and capturing nutrients which would otherwise be leached away...all for free..and cannot be relicated by any cultivation machinery..As for the slugs..at harvest there were literally hundreds but after a couple of passes with our rake we have only managed to find 3/sq.meter...not to say they have all gone...
    taking the same approach here - done nothing but lift a few rutted tramlines so far - volunteers are doing a great job as you say, free cultivation and cover crop

re slugs - I have not raked or even pelleted yet and plenty could be founds at harvest, however I'm finding a lot less at the moment

my intention is 4kg of sluxx when we get a chance to get a kill before drilling

martian

Agree. Also, volunteers let you see where the slug problem is. They will graze area bare and make it easier to spot treat...

Kentish_Andy

A few pics of my bean/maize/rsape mix planted after rape harvest. Not sure of exactly when it was planted but about a month ago. First picture show a bean root. Tap root went beyond spade depth and had lots of nodules. The other pictures show how much cover there is. Maize is a bit thin and looks hungry. As York said maybe a little starter N would have been better. Will be interesting to see how much biomass there is at drilling in a month. Nexy year some buckwheat and sunflowers in the mix could help.

Jim Bullock

Andy
    Too wet here for the rape volunteers to grow..many are just turning yellow and dying...we still have water lying on our rape stubbles...so have not even tried to direct drill in some vetches and lentils..to improve the "cover-crop" mixture...
    I think you can draw a line between Southampton and the Wash...to the East it has been an OK year to the North and West..least said the better...but I will not be investing too much in cover-crops..which is a pity as we had great plans for this next growing season (12/13)..

Kentish_Andy

Andy
    Too wet here for the rape volunteers to grow..many are just turning yellow and dying...we still have water lying on our rape stubbles...so have not even tried to direct drill in some vetches and lentils..to improve the "cover-crop" mixture...
    I think you can draw a line between Southampton and the Wash...to the East it has been an OK year to the North and West..least said the better...but I will not be investing too much in cover-crops..which is a pity as we had great plans for this next growing season (12/13)..
    We have been very lucky so far with the weather. Could all go pear shaped yet though!

Tim Fr

Andy
    Too dry for them to grow here, ground still bare after mid June harvest, drilled cover also bare. No rain now since May

155tm

Quote Originally Posted by Kentish_Andy View Post
    A few pics of my bean/maize/rsape mix planted after rape harvest. Not sure of exactly when it was planted but about a month ago. First picture show a bean root. Tap root went beyond spade depth and had lots of nodules. The other pictures show how much cover there is. Maize is a bit thin and looks hungry. As York said maybe a little starter N would have been better. Will be interesting to see how much biomass there is at drilling in a month. Nexy year some buckwheat and sunflowers in the mix could help.

Well Done Andy, good ground breaking (in two senses) stuff. Will you collect and weigh to calculate your biomass like you did with the Pedders mix in the winter?

Kentish_Andy

Quote Originally Posted by 155tm View Post
    Well Done Andy, good ground breaking (in two senses) stuff. Will you collect and weigh to calculate your biomass like you did with the Pedders mix in the winter?
    If you have spare time you can do it if you like? I had not thought about doing that but it is a good idea. Did Roger pass on the mesaage this morning. There is a thread on here about suppliers of what you were looking for in the direct driling section

autopilot

Next year some buckwheat and sunflowers in the mix could help.
    Can you buy buckwheat by type or variety? The reason I ask is that Tartary Buckwheat is classed as an invasive weed and I wouldn't necessarily want to sow that as a cover crop.

I looked in Tesco's for a small amount of seed (500grms) to try in a field corner, however they don't stipulate the type. They do print on the package that it is grown in China but there are 3 types grown in China the common buckwheat, the tartary buckwheat and the cymosum buckwheat.

Do you know if the place you are buying buckwheat from can guarantee it is common buckwheat?

Willscale

https://www.cotswoldseeds.com/product/buckwheat

I couldn't pay those prices though - but possibly they are in other seed mixes?

autopilot

Quote Originally Posted by Willscale View Post
    https://www.cotswoldseeds.com/product/buckwheat
    I couldn't pay those prices though - but possibly they are in other seed mixes?
    Neither would I, plus carriage charge of 8 for orders under 50. Far cheaper in Tesco, but they call theirs buckwheat as well - I'm just not sure which type they are all selling - I really don't want to find they are Tartary Buckwheat which can be sold under the Buckwheat name.

shakerator

Quote Originally Posted by autopilot View Post
    Can you buy buckwheat by type or variety? The reason I ask is that Tartary Buckwheat is classed as an invasive weed and I wouldn't necessarily want to sow that as a cover crop.

I looked in Tesco's for a small amount of seed (500grms) to try in a field corner, however they don't stipulate the type. They do print on the package that it is grown in China but there are 3 types grown in China the common buckwheat, the tartary buckwheat and the cymosum buckwheat.

Do you know if the place you are buying buckwheat from can guarantee it is common buckwheat?

i wouldnt worry. if sown now it wont seed and will be killed even by grass frost. also wont overwinter if left on soil surface.

bought some from limagrain last year

Pedders

We can supply buckwheat In 20kgs bags it's definitely not Tartary buckwheat and much cheaper than tescos !

York

our experience with Buckwheat is that we need to use the one which can't be used for human consumption because of a substance which is "toxic". The effect for mice is for instance that it increases the sensitiveness of the eyes so they get under stress = in most cases no problems with mice any more. Because also this buckwheat is opening up P we have him in most of our mixes. He is not a problem as a "weed" as he is killed by the lightest frost.
    As soon as demand is increasing there will be good prices also in GB for cover crops. However it results that the supply of seed is getting tight when the seeding time comes.
    York-Th.

155tm

If you have spare time you can do it if you like? I had not thought about doing that but it is a good idea. Did Roger pass on the mesaage this morning. There is a thread on here about suppliers of what you were looking for in the direct driling section
    Spare time.....? whats that then!!

Thanks, I will harass a couple of dairy farmers and see if I can come up with a test quantity!

Pedders the buckwheat from you is up, and the only thing in the mix that has emerged so far.

autopilot

Quote Originally Posted by Pedders View Post
    We can supply buckwheat In 20kgs bags it's definitely not Tartary buckwheat and much cheaper than tescos !
    Will email you this evening.

Pedders

Quote Originally Posted by 155tm View Post
    Spare time.....? whats that then!!

Thanks, I will harass a couple of dairy farmers and see if I can come up with a test quantity!

Pedders the buckwheat from you is up, and the only thing in the mix that has emerged so far.
    its always the first ...one of the reasons I like including it in the mixes ...its like the trailblazer !

dontknowanything

Quote Originally Posted by Pedders View Post
    its always the first ...one of the reasons I like including it in the mixes ...its like the trailblazer !
    Fodder radish was the first up for me.

Badshot

Well I thought I'd resurrect this and see how everyones plan went.

Mine went in the crapper about the 23rd September, I just didn't realise it until the end of October.

The bean ground DD'ed well enough but there are slugs having a fair go at some of it.

Some of the cultivated rape ground went in with the combi but not well, it is coming up though so fingers crossed, plenty of slugs about still. The rest has water running over it from springs and old drains that I was unaware of till now, so a bit of sorting out to be done before the spring.

The uncultivated rape stubbles are horrible, I did try a bit with the drill which was very nasty, but I slugged it so it had a chance. Just to see if I had shut my eyes and done it anyway whether it would have come or not, I think the answer will be not as most of the seed is hollowed and any that isn't is being grazed off as it grows.

The bit of second wheat went in not very well on the headlands, may be OK in the middle

Rape, well having sprayed it today for phoma and volunteers I am not sure at all. Is there a market for charlock? I seem to be able to grow a good enough crop of that with NO problems at all. Jury out till spring I think, but don't be surprised to see me drilling spring rape.....

Should I have ordered a new drill? Answers on a postcard please, I'll give my view on it another day.

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    taking the same approach here - done nothing but lift a few rutted tramlines so far - volunteers are doing a great job as you say, free cultivation and cover crop

re slugs - I have not raked or even pelleted yet and plenty could be founds at harvest, however I'm finding a lot less at the moment

my intention is 4kg of sluxx when we get a chance to get a kill before drilling
    well the only thing I regret doing so far this year is lifting those rutted tramlines

autopilot

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    well the only thing I regret doing so far this year is lifting those rutted tramlines
    +1