Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Silage, Straw and Hay prices

stroller

Silage, Straw and Hay prices

Can we have a straw/hay prices stick like the chemical prices one. People would need to say the bale size and if it was delivered, ex field, in swath etc, and location!

Northdowns Farmer

Re: straw prices sticky

+1 good idea, rowed up some straw last weekend didn't know what to charge said 30/ac don't know why just sounded right.

ND

walter melon

Sold 35% of mine at 62/ac. Another 30% at 50/acre. The rest will get chopped. Midlands area.

Forage Trader

be a clever man who could predict the price at Christmas, i think if I had a lot of livestock i would be filling my barns at today's price, one merchant I know who bales 15000 acres has not baled one bale for two weeks and the combines roll on chop chop chop

Main Man

+1 Good idea, could definitely do with one. The lack of up to date prices makes it very difficult to price straw fairly.

Forage Trader

feeding wheat straw 85/ton delivered into Ceredigion

Pedders

Quote Originally Posted by Forage Trader View Post
    whats the approximate haulage cost from Sussex to there ?

valtrarule

sounds good to me
    ex farm hear
    hay 30
    haylage was 25 now 30
    straw 30

all round 4ft bales

nick channer

i have 1000 ton lovely wheat straw.. i'll deliver it in at that no problem.. big hesstons.. and starting with the mini tomorrow.. should be 5-800 ton in those..

Hesston4860s

With the way the weather is I'm quite pleased not to be doing any straw my 2 balers and chaser plus tractors loader etc are tucked up in there nice warm dry shed.

nick channer

Quote Originally Posted by Hesston4860s View Post
    With the way the weather is I'm quite pleased not to be doing any straw my 2 balers and chaser plus tractors loader etc are tucked up in there nice warm dry shed.
    this seasons been no where near as bad as thought it'd be.. baled all our 200 acres winter barley straw bone dry in between balein hay.. all sold off field.. been balein wheat non stop since coimbines went in and have been rained off only twice in nearly 1200 acres. both times was late afternnon early eve and going again next lunch time... been able to bale right on into early hours.. and longer if i could stay awake with moisture around 16-17% at 2am and greased up and in field again by 10.30am with moisture startin around 15% and down to 10 through day...
    had 80 acres oat straw which took bit drying, had to turn it 3 times even when it had been cut nearly 10 days.... just off to deliver an artic load now to essex..
    w wheats will all be cut round here today inc our own then into spring barley and wheat.. can see a light at end tunnel now... but still got 130 acres hay to do..... fields are travelling extremely well, no trailers anywhere near looking like gettin bogged down.. plenty straw per acre.. shame not the wheat in shed to match!!

Forage Trader

Quote Originally Posted by nick channer View Post
    i have 1000 ton lovely wheat straw.. big hesstons.. and starting with the mini tomorrow.. should be 5-800 ton in those..

You would be lucky to find two farms around here that would take full Hesstons have you done any small wheat? and how is the straw looking?

Main Man

Re: Straw and Hay prices

All on here seem positive about availability of straw. Am I therefore correct in assuming there will be plenty of straw this winter?

With all the wet ground I would have thought people would be chopping more, must be mistaken then.

dgw

Small barley straw off the field 2, small hay off the field 3.50. From the shed this winter straw will be 3 and average-good hay 4. Any really good quality green hay (won't be much this year) will be 5 a bale.

Forage Trader

Quote Originally Posted by Main Man View Post
    All on here seem positive about availability of straw. Am I therefore correct in assuming there will be plenty of straw this winter?

With all the wet ground I would have thought people would be chopping more, must be mistaken then.
    One thing I have learned is you cant predict from one week to the next how trade will go, most merchants think straw will be dear after Christmas as trade is to quiet, if I was wanting a lot of straw I would buy it now as it wont get any cheaper

Clive

Well i'm never selling straw again no matter how much i'm offered

left chopper off on first bit of wheat we cut on buyers instruction - swath 40ac for him, he come s and looks and decided he doesn't want it now as it wants a day or so drying before baling and it's going to rain tomorrow !!

So now i'm left with 40ac to get rid of before I can get my OSR in

NEVER again - you straw buyers are just not worth dealing with ! - chopper is on for the rest of the season, bollocks to helping people out their cows can drown in shit now if that's how they behave !

Big Vern

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    Well i'm never selling straw again no matter how much i'm offered

left chopper off on first bit of wheat we cut on buyers instruction - swath 40ac for him, he come s and looks and decided he doesn't want it now as it wants a day or so drying before baling and it's going to rain tomorrow !!

So now i'm left with 40ac to get rid of before I can get my OSR in

NEVER again - you straw buyers are just not worth dealing with ! - chopper is on for the rest of the season, bollocks to helping people out their cows can drown in shit now if that's how they behave !

i normally have a lot of respect for your posts clive there informative, and you are or seem to be a fairly go ahead bloke. not afraid to tell all whats what and put your hand up if you re wrong.
    occasionally though you can sound like a right arse...i take it you cut said wheat when it was fit along with the straw .. when it was at 15%?? no i expect you thought how can i make an bollox of this i know i cut it when its 25%.. if it aint fit you wont cut it... same way with straw if it aint fit you cant bale it.. no one wants rock hard fousty crap for bedding or feeding.....
    i dare say theres a cattle farmer somewhere waiting for that straw.. or a pig man or even Drax to burn it.. remember the same first 2 will be "buyers" of said wheat for grub an all....

fair point to the "buyer" he wont want to bale straw thats not fit.. on the other hand if hes now saying he doesnt want it all that makes him a welsher and him alone no need to tar the rest with same brush.

if you want rid whats to stop some local "hooligans " smoking in the feild evening an oops the whole lots gone up in smoke

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by Big Vern View Post
    i normally have a lot of respect for your posts clive there informative, and you are or seem to be a fairly go ahead bloke. not afraid to tell all whats what and put your hand up if you re wrong.
    occasionally though you can sound like a right arse...i take it you cut said wheat when it was fit along with the straw .. when it was at 15%?? no i expect you thought how can i make an bollox of this i know i cut it when its 25%.. if it aint fit you wont cut it... same way with straw if it aint fit you cant bale it.. no one wants rock hard fousty crap for bedding or feeding.....
    i dare say theres a cattle farmer somewhere waiting for that straw.. or a pig man or even Drax to burn it.. remember the same first 2 will be "buyers" of said wheat for grub an all....

fair point to the "buyer" he wont want to bale straw thats not fit.. on the other hand if hes now saying he doesnt want it all that makes him a welsher and him alone no need to tar the rest with same brush.

if you want rid whats to stop some local "hooligans " smoking in the feild evening an oops the whole lots gone up in smoke
    the buyer was asked as we went into the field if he DEFINITELY wanted it - I said i would rather chop it as we are concerned about osr drilling but would honor my commitment to supply him if he still wanted it ........he said YES it was wanted (wheat was 17% and straw is pretty fit IMO) but it was HIS call anyway

next day he turns up and says he doesn't want it

result I have 40ac of swathed straw to get rid of and that will cost

sorry but if anyone things that is an acceptable way to do business please don't bother dealing with me

I should sue him for breach of verbal contract really, he's lucky I have better things to be doing and don't like paying lawyers !

Chopper on from now on no matter what price I get offered, with shit like this and past experience of people not paying etc it really isn't worth dealing with the people who want straw

Forage Trader

Why dont you bale it up and shed it u won't lose anything

bob k

Why don't you get it baled and sold.

Clive

i don't happen to have a spare shed just lying about that I had forgotten about

........and it's been rained on now

.........and we are just a little bit busy trying to cut wheat and get OSR in

SKIMMER

All in 5' mini's
    Haylage 37
    Hay 32
    Straw 20

btd-6

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    the buyer was asked as we went into the field if he DEFINITELY wanted it - I said i would rather chop it as we are concerned about osr drilling but would honor my commitment to supply him if he still wanted it ........he said YES it was wanted (wheat was 17% and straw is pretty fit IMO) but it was HIS call anyway

next day he turns up and says he doesn't want it

result I have 40ac of swathed straw to get rid of and that will cost

sorry but if anyone things that is an acceptable way to do business please don't bother dealing with me

I should sue him for breach of verbal contract really, he's lucky I have better things to be doing and don't like paying lawyers !

Chopper on from now on no matter what price I get offered, with shit like this and past experience of people not paying etc it really isn't worth dealing with the people who want straw

I may be wrong here but I suspect it went something like this....

You ask the buyer a ridiculously high price for straw in swath. (otherwise you would have chopped it when re-cropping with rape, knowing it's a difficult baling season)

Buyer is very keen for straw as it's probably very local for him....

You cut wheat at as you say 17%, then call straw buyer and say... "get that fu****g baler here and get this straw cleared... I want my rape drilling"...

Buyer arrives to take a look at said straw, and finds it aint ready to bale, and say's... "I can't bale it yet it aint ready"....

Then you both probably exchange tense words, and the buyer say's, something like.... OK you keep your FU****G straw!!!...

Like I say.... I may be wrong! it won't be the first time, and it certainly won't be the last!

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by btd-6 View Post

You ask the buyer a ridiculously high price for straw in swath. (otherwise you would have chopped it when re-cropping with rape, knowing it's a difficult baling season)

You cut wheat at as you say 17%, then call straw buyer and say... "get that fu****g baler here and get this straw cleared... I want my rape drilling"...

Buyer arrives to take a look at said straw, and finds it aint ready to bale, and say's... "I can't bale it yet it aint ready"....

Then you both probably exchange tense words, and the buyer say's, something like.... OK you keep your FU****G straw!!!...

Like I say.... I may be wrong! it won't be the first time, and it certainly won't be the last!
    you are wrong - what actually happened is in my post

it was the buyers decision to swath I would have been MUCH happier to turn the chopper on and get my OSR in but as he said swath it I did as requested ............then he changes his mind 24hrs latter

I don't do business like that and don't expect other to

anyway - I care not, my straw selling days are over and I no longer have to deal with such dishonest people, a couple of thousand ac less on the market every year making what does get baled even more expensive for you all, no one to blame other than people like the idiot that has just messed me about

bob k

Being just up the road, I will bet it was better to bale straight behind combine yesterday than today which has been dull and damp but no rain.

A year methinks for alot of frustrated farmers

btd-6

Well it's no good baling straw if it aint dry! It's no good to anyone, unfortunately there's no "straw dryers"

With grain it's easy to harvest and bung it through the dryer, but with straw it aint so easy, so it has to be baled dry.

As for the bloke buying the straw, if he has made a mistake, well it happens to the best of us.

Id like to meet the guy who's never made a mistake in his life and shake his hand!... I'm sure even Clive has made a mistake now and again, but it really does no good racking off about it!

In a harvest time like this tensions run high, and we all have to get through it best we can.

SKIMMER

Well it's no good baling straw if it aint dry! It's no good to anyone, unfortunately there's no "straw dryers"

With grain it's easy to harvest and bung it through the dryer, but with straw it aint so easy, so it has to be baled dry.

As for the bloke buying the straw, if he has made a mistake, well it happens to the best of us.

Id like to meet the guy who's never made a mistake in his life and shake his hand!... I'm sure even Clive has made a mistake now and again, but it really does no good racking off about it!

In a harvest time like this tensions run high, and we all have to get through it best we can.
    We have around 120 acre of our straw on the floor and our baler hasn't ran since monday due to damp weather even though we have carried on cutting.
    Hay would have being fit 2 days ago weather was better,bale & wrapped it today before I lose it,its bound it be a really sunny windy day tomorrow.

Hesston4860s

There's folks round here with lots of straw on the deck but went it rains every other day how you suppost to get it baled at max 16% you can turn wet straw you can't dry wet bales !.

robw54

what price is wheat delivered?

just had barley in at 80 - word is a big drop?

Forage Trader

Quote Originally Posted by robw54 View Post
    what price is wheat delivered?

just had barley in at 80 - word is a big drop?
    Did you check the mousture content, cheapest straw is the dearest