Thread: Silage, Straw and Hay prices

robw54

Re: Straw and Hay prices

Quote Originally Posted by Forage Trader View Post
    Did you check the mousture content, cheapest straw is the dearest
    we only like the good stuff

Forage Trader

I like a lot of things, all I am saying is there is a lot of high mousture straw around bound to be we don't have any sun so just beware if you get offered a seemingly cheap load

Forage Trader

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    i don't happen to have a spare shed just lying about that I had forgotten about

........and it's been rained on now

.........and we are just a little bit busy trying to cut wheat and get OSR in
    30/ton to clear it if you get it dry and baled

Clive

30/ton to clear it if you get it dry and baled
    if you can get it cleared by tuesday you can have it free, it's being drying well today but just had a good shower on it at 6pm

Forage Trader

I don't do baling and wagons are parked until Tuesday, bale it and stack it on the headlands and I will do my best

cattleman

I don't do baling and wagons are parked until Tuesday, bale it and stack it on the headlands and I will do my best
    Forage trader .........its free get the guys and wagons moving ,use a contractor come on ..i bet you know one who will work for i/2 price ..

nick channer

Well i'm never selling straw again no matter how much i'm offered

left chopper off on first bit of wheat we cut on buyers instruction - swath 40ac for him, he come s and looks and decided he doesn't want it now as it wants a day or so drying before baling and it's going to rain tomorrow !!

So now i'm left with 40ac to get rid of before I can get my OSR in

NEVER again - you straw buyers are just not worth dealing with ! - chopper is on for the rest of the season, bollocks to helping people out their cows can drown in shit now if that's how they behave !
    that is taking the piss... we've had to pay for straw in swath before then cos its been rained on for weeks and turned black have to turn it just to dry it enough to PAY someone to come in with a straw chopper on back tractor and chop it.. not talking few acres either.. last time it was nearly 200....
    if its left in rows for us its up to us to clear it....
    baled 100 acres yesrerday from straw we bought, as forecast was rain last nite and today [and they were right, its pisssing down] and left our own laying out on wheat ground i wanted to put rape into this weekend...
    thats not gonna happen now...
    but thats what you have to do... one of reasons we stopped contracting 10yrs ago.... cut all customers corn at 14% as they're screaming down phone then all our own is cut at 17% and gotta pay to dry it...
    took load oat straw to dengie horse feeds yesterday.. lot straw in swath up A130- A127 area..

czechmate

I lad round here who does baling and straw merchanting was telling me he can aply some acid as he is baling and that way he can bale up to 26%. Any experiences of this?

clover

if you can get it cleared by tuesday you can have it free, it's being drying well today but just had a good shower on it at 6pm
    Why not just chop and spread the swath? It wont take long.

texas pete

Clive if what you say happened as it happened then you have a verbal contract of sale?

Send the guy a bill and see what happens then. Its his straw if he said he's having it surely.

Krampeman

For the exact reason Clive describes its only worth selling straw off land going into a spring crop and the price has to be worth it which is 50/ac minimum in the swath.

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by clover View Post
    Why not just chop and spread the swath? It wont take long.
    with what ?

and before you say combine it might just be kind of busy right now !!!

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by texas pete View Post
    Clive if what you say happened as it happened then you have a verbal contract of sale?

Send the guy a bill and see what happens then. Its his straw if he said he's having it surely.
    I will send him a bill alright - and one for getting rid of it

definitely have a verbal contract, diary notes etc if it come to that

FraserB

Quote Originally Posted by nick channer View Post
    that is taking the piss... we've had to pay for straw in swath before then cos its been rained on for weeks and turned black have to turn it just to dry it enough to PAY someone to come in with a straw chopper on back tractor and chop it.. not talking few acres either.. last time it was nearly 200....
    We've had the same, tedded straw a few times and when we couldnt get it baled for the date agreed had to pay our silage contractor to chop 240 acre with the forager, expensive carry on but if you're wanting straw the next year its what you have to do.

robw54

Did you check the mousture content, cheapest straw is the dearest
    may have to eat my words - had a lot of barely in. Seems a few bales not looking that great (stuck together). How many in a load of 12t before I get onto the merchant?

Forage Trader

Quote Originally Posted by robw54 View Post
    may have to eat my words - had a lot of barely in. Seems a few bales not looking that great (stuck together). How many in a load of 12t before I get onto the merchant?
    Depends on the bale size but don't be to hard on him there it's a common problem this year, a sod of a year all round

Eurobale 1

Prices for riding school/livery yards will be unchanged. The best racing material which I will only supply to existing customers,( not exactly made much of this ) thinking of between 5-10 % increase. Livery yard hay same price as last year. Very nice hay imported from the continent pricey between 350-400 ton depending on quantity.

Therefore in 80x70 250Kg bales

Rye 48 a bale del
    Silver 58 "
    Gold 65 "
    Pre increase . Loyalty to existing trade crucial.

czechmate

Quote Originally Posted by robw54 View Post

What is the problem with barley in? A bonus, surely ?

devils advocate

Quote Originally Posted by czechmate View Post
    What is the problem with barley in? A bonus, surely ?
    I think Rob means Barley straw in his barn.

But barley grain in straw is a disaster. Yes the sheep love it, but your barn starts to smell like a mouse nightclubs toilet after a month & if small bales the mice eat the bands.

czechmate

Quote Originally Posted by devils advocate View Post
    I think Rob means Barley straw in his barn.

But barley grain in straw is a disaster. Yes the sheep love it, but your barn starts to smell like a mouse nightclubs toilet after a month & if small bales the mice eat the bands.

About three years since, I couldn't thrash all the barley out. I did have fears about mice eating strings but had no problem at all.

If it is barley straw with wheat straw, then as before - surely a bonus?

Mark C

I have about 1500 conventional bales of 2 nd cut Italian ryegrass hay (1st year ) in 21 bale bandit packs. Anyone want to bid me ?

7810 pilot

Quote Originally Posted by Mark C View Post
    I have about 1500 conventional bales of 2 nd cut Italian ryegrass hay (1st year ) in 21 bale bandit packs. Anyone want to bid me ?
    if its well made and strongish stuff , franks at new market , will give around 200 a ton

Forage Trader

Depending on bale weight but 200 is a bit low if it's spot on stuff, 5 to 6 quid a bale would have thought

Mark C

Think I'll hang on to it till January. Sold some for 250 a tonne a few years ago in a 'normal' hay making year

Sleepy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark C View Post
    Think I'll hang on to it till January. Sold some for 250 a tonne a few years ago in a 'normal' hay making year
    when you think imported hay is 400 quid a ton it still seems cheap!

I have 200 + Round bale hay 5ft. Top quality meadow hay. West Midlands. How much is it worth 'put onto a lorry'. /tonne.

Regards Mike

Forage Trader

Quote Originally Posted by 6820 View Post
    I have 200 + Round bale hay 5ft. Top quality meadow hay. West Midlands. How much is it worth 'put onto a lorry'. /tonne.

Regards Mike
    I was over there Friday , any chance of a picture? A lot of the hay I saw was like silage and still hot

Main Man

What price for delivered barley straw that was baled a little damp? Or alternatively what discount to offer per tonne? Only a couple are heating others seem ok. Bales are quadrants.

Forage Trader

Quote Originally Posted by Main Man View Post
    What price for delivered barley straw that was baled a little damp? Or alternatively what discount to offer per tonne? Only a couple are heating others seem ok. Bales are quadrants.
    Join the Queue!

so what do we do, farmer wants it gone so puts the baler man under pressure he bales it on the limit and takes a chance, how the hell can they take a chance at this end when there is 30/ton haulage standing on it, option is imo 10/ton off or fetch it back

naughtyfarmer

Unhappy Re: Straw and Hay prices

Well i'm never selling straw again no matter how much i'm offered

left chopper off on first bit of wheat we cut on buyers instruction - swath 40ac for him, he come s and looks and decided he doesn't want it now as it wants a day or so drying before baling and it's going to rain tomorrow !!

So now i'm left with 40ac to get rid of before I can get my OSR in

NEVER again - you straw buyers are just not worth dealing with ! - chopper is on for the rest of the season, bollocks to helping people out their cows can drown in shit now if that's how they behave !

Clive what about my oat straw?