Re: Straw and Hay prices

Quote Originally Posted by naughtyfarmer View Post
    Clive what about my oat straw?

your for the chop

Clive

Clive what about my oat straw?
    no chance unless it stops raining here - balers wouldn't even travel on the land without getting stuck right now

the midlands is like the somme right now

naughtyfarmer

It must be an absolute nightmare with you Clive. We have got away with it lightly down here. Havnt even had a stuck trailer on straw cart.

naughtyfarmer

Quote Originally Posted by Forage Trader View Post
    your for the chop
    Cheers Derrick!

Sussex Martin

It must be an absolute nightmare with you Clive. We have got away with it lightly down here. Havnt even had a stuck trailer on straw cart.
    Should have said you where looking as a neigbour has just chopped a few acres yesterday!

Clive

it's hard to see how it could get any wetter ! hardly any wheat stubble around here at all, harvest really hasn't started yet

scotty

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    no chance unless it stops raining here - balers wouldn't even travel on the land without getting stuck right now

the midlands is like the somme right now

But surely he has a verbal contract . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    if he comes and get it he can have it ......... the minute I turn the chopper of though it is his

buyers decision, like I made clear to the guy how has welched on the deal with my wheat straw

czechmate

No prices lately. With this current wet spell and the remaining harvest being so late for osr est, is the price moving up? A going rate for quad wheat in the midlands anyone?

Forage Trader

Quote Originally Posted by czechmate View Post
    No prices lately. With this current wet spell and the remaining harvest being so late for osr est, is the price moving up? A going rate for quad wheat in the midlands anyone?
    Straw won't move up now until after harvest and when housing starts, there is very little demand and no export movement , those who have baled have had double the crop this year and mountains of straw down south, also damp straw pulling the price down, it's a buyers market at the momment

czechmate

Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post

Contracts and straw. I have a field away from the farm and always chop the straw. Out of curriosity, I put it in a sale in June and it was bought by a very near neighbour. The sale conditions, (so writen even, not verbal) say the straw has to be removed in 7 days. I cut it the monday before last, (I told him on the Sunday I would be doing so) and it is still there.
    A few thoughts at the moment. If I had chopped as usual, it would now be seeded with osr. The straw year is very difficult and it wouldnt bale for at least two days after harvest and he did try on the Tuesday, but we had a fine week untill the Friday night and it would have baled a treatr on Friday but I guesse he was elswhere and I was too busy on the combine to check/chase him.
    The straw on the field, baled and on a lorry will be worth 2K, he paid me 320. He has broken the contract. TBH, with this year turning into a disaster I could well do with any extra grand in the bank when paying for the final fung's next May but certainly don't want to fall out with anyone, but as I say he could easily have cleared it last Friday (esp as he was telling me that he can apply acid and bale up to 26%

czechmate

Straw won't move up now until after harvest and when housing starts, there is very little demand and no export movement , those who have baled have had double the crop this year and mountains of straw down south, also damp straw pulling the price down, it's a buyers market at the momment

Any number's though DH?
    Oh, I gave a friend your number, did he call?

Forage Trader

Any number's though DH?
    Oh, I gave a friend your number, did he call?
    Yes he did call but straw was a tad dear for me, but thanks, if you have some to move pm me, problem is around you they cant get it dry at the moment, load just come in from Windsor off the field at 12% and cracking straw

clover

I've been offered 5/bale for 4 x 4 rounds,buyer to bale.for spring barley straw.How does that sound ?

devils advocate

if he comes and get it he can have it ......... the minute I turn the chopper of though it is his

buyers decision, like I made clear to the guy how has welched on the deal with my wheat straw
    One day a farmer who makes the most of the straw & bales it himself will outbid Clive for land & make it pay when Clive can't.

gone up the hill

Quote Originally Posted by clover View Post
    I've been offered 5/bale for 4 x 4 rounds,buyer to bale.for spring barley straw.How does that sound ?
    In Devon they would be 16/ bale collected but buyer does the baling or 18.50 if the seller does it..

gone up the hill

Contracts and straw. I have a field away from the farm and always chop the straw. Out of curriosity, I put it in a sale in June and it was bought by a very near neighbour. The sale conditions, (so writen even, not verbal) say the straw has to be removed in 7 days. I cut it the monday before last, (I told him on the Sunday I would be doing so) and it is still there.
    A few thoughts at the moment. If I had chopped as usual, it would now be seeded with osr. The straw year is very difficult and it wouldnt bale for at least two days after harvest and he did try on the Tuesday, but we had a fine week untill the Friday night and it would have baled a treatr on Friday but I guesse he was elswhere and I was too busy on the combine to check/chase him.
    The straw on the field, baled and on a lorry will be worth 2K, he paid me 320. He has broken the contract. TBH, with this year turning into a disaster I could well do with any extra grand in the bank when paying for the final fung's next May but certainly don't want to fall out with anyone, but as I say he could easily have cleared it last Friday (esp as he was telling me that he can apply acid and bale up to 26%
    Has to be give and take on both sides, 7 days is a tad to short imo, 14 is much fairer, if it looks like being dry next week i would call him up and say your planting the osr next thurs and if the straw isnt baled and cleared by wens pm( even if he puts the bales in a stack by the gate is better than nothing ) you will bale it/remove it to the gateway and charge him for the baling and 40/hr for the telehandler.. normally in straw sales there is a clause that after the 7/14 days the straw ownership reverts to the seller unless extreme weather and then by agreements by both partys..

Best one iv had is the auctioneer calling me up at 9 am on a mon morn ranting and raving to get my straw baled and shifted by lunchtime or else ( 14 days from cutting to clear ) when the seller hadnt even bothered to tell me he had even cut it.... and too boot he started cutting at 8 pm the previous night to the mon.... that is taking the piss... i dont mind helping anyone out but needless to say that straw stayed there for the full 14 days!!

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by devils advocate View Post
    One day a farmer who makes the most of the straw & bales it himself will outbid Clive for land & make it pay when Clive can't.
    if the margin is so tight it depends on selling the straw then I really would not be interested !

Forage Trader

if the margin is so tight it depends on selling the straw then I really would not be interested !
    this I find hard to understand, this winter you could expect to get over 60/ton for wheat straw loaded on a wagon, if you found the right contacts possibly more, 120 + acre is a lot of money to anyone surly, but then if you don't have available sheds its a none starter

nick channer

Quote Originally Posted by devils advocate View Post
    exactly what we've done.. paying considerable amount more per acre and growing specific crops for small baleing into packs..
    making over 600 acre from acre grass is another good one.. better than any 4 ton acre wheat crop..[as long as you get right weather]

czechmate

this I find hard to understand, this winter you could expect to get over 60/ton for wheat straw loaded on a wagon, if you found the right contacts possibly more, 120 + acre is a lot of money to anyone surly, but then if you don't have available sheds its a none starter

And now, off the field?

Forage Trader

And now, off the field?
    from me, 40/ton anybales over 18% deducted from payment

thats sounds a little hard

Johndeere

from me, 40/ton anybales over 18% deducted from payment

thats sounds a little hard
    Are you doing much business at that Derrick?

stroller

Anybody got a price for wheat straw in quadrants?

Johndeere

Quote Originally Posted by stroller View Post
    Anybody got a price for wheat straw in quadrants?
    20/ bale

Badshot

Quote Originally Posted by Johndeere View Post
    20/ bale
    Is that 4 or 6 strings?

Johndeere

Quote Originally Posted by Badshot View Post
    Is that 4 or 6 strings?
    6 strings

robw54

whats wheat straw making per tonne?

Forage Trader

Quote Originally Posted by robw54 View Post
    whats wheat straw making per tonne?
    Delivered or off the field

robw54

Delivered or off the field
    del. been quoted high 60's just.

been told it all hinges on weather over the next 10 days.