Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Sheep breed policies for 2013

Nithsdale farmer

Re: Sheep breed policies for 2013

Quote Originally Posted by ladycrofter View Post
    If you value the genetics bottle feed them if you can't wet adopt. The added bonus is that they will be tame and easy to manage. Yes it is a lot of work but only for a little while, compared to their lifetime.
    Dissagree, been through it myself. What if mastitis is hereditable/genetically linked? Theres no proof to say it is, or isnt - but if it is, why would you keep her??

If your running a large flock, or have other commitments or jobs - why waste your time on 1 lamb? Fine if you could get it adopted, but then youve a non-productive ewe running. You could hand rear that lamb till weaning, only for it to drop dead the next day of natural causes. Iv tried both, and they both piss me off. Youve either got a ewe doing nothing which is IMO a waste of space, regardless of its genetic value or a lamb your hand rearing.....
    Common sense still says to cull (or am i just very hard-lined on non-correct animals?).

ladycrofter

Geez okay, some people have the time for it and some don't . I doubt this case is heiritable, I have never seen so many flies as this year.

It's a shame, mastitis, that it never corrects itself as do so many other diseases. I've got a nice one going away this year for the same reason.

Nithsdale farmer

Its funny you say that, iv actually had less mastitis this year, compared to the last 3 or 4 years - and i put pour-on on my lambs almost a month later this year (used Ectofly instead of Dysect) Mastitis is a funny old thing.
    2 years ago year was exceptionally bad, bags were going wrong at lambing time :cry: As of last year i have stopped keeping ewe lambs off ewes which get mastitis, so will be interesting to see if i start getting less cases of it. Im sceptical but shall procede all the same.

KMA

If she's an exceptional ewe and you really want to keep her breeding you could always flush her

NZDan

Quote Originally Posted by Poorbuthappy View Post
    Hi Dan,
    Sorry things aren't going well. I would ask where you sourced your ewes, but it probably wouldn't mean much to me, plus I would think it fairer to speak to them before dragging their name through dirt on here!
    Did you buy young ewes? Have you previously been closed flock?
    I have a lot of sympathy for the view expressed on RobP's ad for Hartlines of 'breeding up' from what you already have and continuing the principles of closed flock.
    I suspect there is merit in the argument for sheep being used to a farm, at least that's what I'm telling myself as I give the Highlanders and Lleyns another chance this year after last season's disappointing results. As I've posted before, the lambs out of my mules by the Highlander and Lleyn rams are much better. I am, of course, also comparing 2tooths' lambs to older ewes, so am keen to see what happens next lambing.
    The Romneys are a mixed age bought in line I'll admit they were cheap and quite small but Rams sourced from NZs suposedly most popular Romney breeder who likes to tell all how good his sheep are. I thought they'd shift quite well but alas i thought wrong. I also bought a small line of Landcorp Lamb Supreme x Landmark 2ths, I've had nae bother at all with them.
    My own ewes don't start for 3 weeks yet.
    Yes I've previously been a closed flock but I shift the ewes alot because its all short term leases. I can see the merit in breeding up from homebred ewes but some times if a decision has been made to change ewe breeds then "Fortune favours the bold" and its often wise to simply sell all ewes and buy replacements. Its a long slow road to change breeds by top crossing.

Poorbuthappy

Quote Originally Posted by NZDan View Post
    I can see the merit in breeding up from homebred ewes but some times if a decision has been made to change ewe breeds then "Fortune favours the bold" and its often wise to simply sell all ewes and buy replacements. Its a long slow road to change breeds by top crossing.
    I understand your reasoning and it is to a degree what I did last season in buying Highlander and Lleyn 2T's. The Highlanders gave me a lot of grief -in the same way your Romneys have, not doing what they say on the tin - and I've been disappointed with the lambs from both so have decided to breed up and close the flock but fully expect it to be a slow job.
    I guess to be able to be as selective as I would like to be, I shall have to work more in the way of maternal rams, and sacrifice a little in terms of finished lambs.

wooly

And the Romneys just keep getting worse. What hellish awefull sheep! Stuck lambs, cast ewes, bearings, poor mothering, dopey lambs

The Romneys are a mixed age bought in line I'll admit they were cheap and quite small but Rams sourced from NZs suposedly most popular Romney breeder who likes to tell all how good his sheep are.

Even though I'm a Kiwi, I think british sheep have more to offer than any of the Kiwi sheep.

Just what I have been saying for a while. The Kiwis have marketed their breeding very well and convinced British sheep farmers that NZ Romneys were better than the English ones, when in reality they probably are not.

Global Ovine

The Romneys are a mixed age bought in line I'll admit they were cheap and quite small but Rams sourced from NZs suposedly most popular Romney breeder who likes to tell all how good his sheep are. I thought they'd shift quite well but alas i thought wrong. I also bought a small line of Landcorp Lamb Supreme x Landmark 2ths, I've had nae bother at all with them.
    Dan
    One of the downsides of being a "higher profile" breeder whose reputation has been developed on the superiority of ones product is that at times sheep are sold on a brand and those animals have none or some so distant in their background that it dosen't count.

I had a new client who rang me up after buying sheep quoted as being my Romneys. I visited him to find the whole line obviously of totally different breeding....long narrow boof headed types. The property vendor kept all ewes of my breeding and headed to another farm. This resulted in a legal claim which was fortunate for the purchaser and my flock reputation.
    I have also seen my flock brand being used in advertising in 2 farm clearing sales where the owner had never purchased a ram off me. Strong words to the auctioneers sorted these out.
    Knowing the reputation of the Romney brand you believe you have, I think you may have been misquoted. Although they are not the top Romney performance strain, they are very easy birthing and functional.

The inaugural Sheep Industry Award for top Dual Purpose (Maternal) with WormFEC (resistance to parasites) went to Andrew Tripp, Nithdale. Guess whose entire Romney business he purchased a few years ago.

NZDan

Quote Originally Posted by Global Ovine View Post
    Dan
    One of the downsides of being a "higher profile" breeder whose reputation has been developed on the superiority of ones product is that at times sheep are sold on a brand and those animals have none or some so distant in their background that it dosen't count.

I had a new client who rang me up after buying sheep quoted as being my Romneys. I visited him to find the whole line obviously of totally different breeding....long narrow boof headed types. The property vendor kept all ewes of my breeding and headed to another farm. This resulted in a legal claim which was fortunate for the purchaser and my flock reputation.
    I have also seen my flock brand being used in advertising in 2 farm clearing sales where the owner had never purchased a ram off me. Strong words to the auctioneers sorted these out.
    Knowing the reputation of the Romney brand you believe you have, I think you may have been misquoted. Although they are not the top Romney performance strain, they are very easy birthing and functional.

The inaugural Sheep Industry Award for top Dual Purpose (Maternal) with WormFEC (resistance to parasites) went to Andrew Tripp, Nithdale. Guess whose entire Romney business he purchased a few years ago.
    I bought the ewes as a trading option and was hoping to use the name as a 'selling point' I won't be now thats for sure. I have got another line of Romneys due to start lambing in a week so hopefully they might restore some faith for me, but it does go to show the perils of buying in.

orkneyboy21

This year I will use my old lleyn ram on the best of my old x-bred ewes for the last time before he will have to be sold, as by next year around 75 of my 100 ewes will be lleyn x's fathered by him. He has been an excellent ram and his daughters have made excellent ewes.

Will continue to breed my small flock of 10 lairg type NCCs pure, retaining all ewe lambs to try and get numbers up to about 25, and trying to sell the best few rams as shearlings. Will probably keep the best ram lamb from this year to replace my old lleyn ram next year.

Will change from using a charollais ram on my 30 lleyn x and pure cheviot gimmers, to a beltex that I bought last year as an experiment. The Charollais lambs have been very good but quite a few were just too big at lambing. The few gimmers that had lambs to the beltex however, were all born themselves.

This year, the charollais ram will be used as the terminal ram on all the older lleyn x ewes.

Creedmoor1

And the Romneys just keep getting worse. What hellish awefull sheep! Stuck lambs, cast ewes, bearings, poor mothering, dopey lambs, I've had more trouble in two weeks lambing them than 18 years of Finn and Finn cross's.
    I was going to mate them to Finn rams next year but I'm not sure even that will hell them.
    Hell, Dan, only just caught up with this. Sorry to hear you are having a battle. First two ewes lambed here last Monday (27th) and looks like we'll be half away through the ewes by end of today. Losses have been low, a bit of a surprise after the mud and floods a week before. Hoggets will start within a week. Sheep have been a dream run compared to cattle; have pulled four calves from nine heifers caved so far, courtesy of cheap Angus bull who has proved anything but! Own fault - don't breed animals you don't know.

JD_Kid

had a stray rom ram get in our ewes early i have to say the dumbest lambs i have seen since i worked with pure rom's when leaveing school ..

that a side like the look of pollie cross hoggets also seem to have a higher worm restance so going to keep an eye on them going to have a look at another breed as well i think they will fit in or at least have some good trates to bring to the party

KMA

Well the cycle starts again, most of the ewes & gimmers are tupped up 6 missed on the first pass plus 4 we brought back last week will have the sponges out early next week.

NZDan

Quote Originally Posted by wooly View Post
    Just what I have been saying for a while. The Kiwis have marketed their breeding very well and convinced British sheep farmers that NZ Romneys were better than the English ones, when in reality they probably are not.
    Ouch I feel a little miss quoted.
    My reference to British sheep over Kiwi sheep was more aimed at Cheviots over Romneys and Lleyns over Highlanders. I fail to see much use for a Romney in Britian out side of Romney marsh, bloody aweful things covered in wool!!!!
    From what i no of the NZ romneys got to Britian they were nae to bad, just be pleased none of the strain I bought have made it back to Britian!!!

romneymarsh

Quote Originally Posted by wooly View Post
    To be fair Wooly I don't think many Kiwis have actually been actively involved in marketing NZ Romney genetics in UK, but there have been just a few highly motivated UK entrepreneurs who have done a very good job.

There are many different strains within breed of all the different sheep breeds . Romneys are no different be they NZ or UK derived. Buyers must just make sure they get hold of the sheep that will be the right tools for their farm and system.