Thread: Do we need to chop straw?

martian

Do we need to chop straw?

Been sitting in the drier shed catching up on reading... one of the posts from the presentation sticky above talking about S American no-till, Rolf Depsch I think, saying that Paraguayans like their combines without choppers just straw spreaders.

I know things are different abroad... but the chopper guzzles diesel and creates unbelievable dust (especially this year). We are cutting quite a high stubble anyway so I was wondering if sprinkling the straw over entire swath wouldn't be a bad idea? Not sure we've got enough straw decomposing creatures yet though, still fair bit of last years residue about. Any thoughts?

Hartwig

Re: Do we need to chop straw?

John,

it might be basically the same difference like stripper headed and chopped, just that your straw is not standing any more after cutting & spreading !?

The need for chopping might be more from a technical point of view than from a biological / agronomical - so it depends what you want to do when after with that field !??

I think somebody told me once that standing (stripped) stalks have a far positive influence on soil condition (friable / alive) than chopped straw, but I can`t really remember why.
    Last year I lost some hectares wheat in a wet harvest like many of you have now as it was lodged and just grown through, so I left it alone until march when I DDed beans and I found the most friable and soft soil under this mat of lodged and grown wheat. Just a bit expensive to get to.....

martian

Re: Do we need to chop straw?

Hartwig
    thanks for that. We're drilling rape at the moment into long stubble with thinly chopped straw dangling off it (combine's just left the field). Thinking if it wasn't chopped it might be just as easy to drill through and not impede the rape too much. Will try it one day if we get a demo combine perhaps. Once it's been rained on (tomorrow probably) the loose straw will sink to the ground.