Thread: Muck what do you do

devils advocate

Muck what do you do

Ploughing accounts for 99% of cereals in this area, which is a mixed farming area.

Anyone spread muck onto direct drilled or even min tilled land? If so does it bung up your drill?

Spud

Re: Muck what do you do

We muck our heavy land about one year in four, usually min till, some this year with bumble bee's claydon. Ime about 14t/ac of properly spread fym is no more material than 2t of chopped straw, and a lot easier to incorporate.

Steevo

Yes, often spread on stubbles prior to DDing. Had sludge and muck spread with rear discharge machines, worked well in previous years when ground had been rock hard. Also had some spread by Terragator which I think will be extremely handy in a year like this.

Never had problems with it bunging up the drill - never tend to spread at more than 20t/ha and that's just a light dusting on the top. Could probably double that but I think little and often is a much better policy than huge dollops in one go.

foxbox

Last year we spread our muck on to rape stubbles and put a Simba DTX through it. Most was incorporated but some "floated" on to the top, however even with 40t/ha there was no problem with our MF 500 disc drill bunging up. Seeing the bout marker was a different matter entirely but that was due to the amount of trash floating about on the top, not just the muck.

strip-till-phil

We spread a bit of muck and straight in with Claydon SR drill no problem

Mayo

I know people who spread pig muck and DD OSR in afterwards.

Willscale

I put it on top.

You have to pick your days to do it really which is one potential drawback. I would like to get into composting more but I can't really figure out a convenient way of doing it.

It is slowly crossing my mind to put a load of manure in a windrow in a permanent pasture field and just roll it over once every two months for a year and possibly even getting a tracked machine in to do it to reduce mess.

May be a cost and hassle but would reduce spreading costs and may have a better product at the end.

shakerator

Quote Originally Posted by Willscale View Post
    I put it on top.

You have to pick your days to do it really which is one potential drawback. I would like to get into composting more but I can't really figure out a convenient way of doing it.

It is slowly crossing my mind to put a load of manure in a windrow in a permanent pasture field and just roll it over once every two months for a year and possibly even getting a tracked machine in to do it to reduce mess.

May be a cost and hassle but would reduce spreading costs and may have a better product at the end.
    what about mixing with green waste comp 6:1? Our local depot have done this with great success.

Willscale

Quote Originally Posted by shakerator View Post
    what about mixing with green waste comp 6:1? Our local depot have done this with great success.
    The cattle muck I get (for free if I go get it from down the road) has a bit of woodchip in it already. Its not wonderful rich strawy stuff its a bit of a mix of straw, chip, dung and a little bit formica and mdf sometimes

REW

Fairly new to DD but this spring spread fresh FYM at 10 tonne per acre, then DD straight in has worked well worms soon sort it out.
    Re composting i have green waste compost most years which is great. We do muck for straw swaps that has been turned with a 360 twice spring and summer, it has rotted down well (ideally turn 4 times). I have not calculated it fully but what you spend on a slew is probably saved with less loads to spread, also the composted manure heats up and kills weed seeds.

nixorganix

Quote Originally Posted by Willscale View Post
    I put it on top.

I get my digger man in to windrow muck in the main cattle shed and then heap the rest in with it. Does well without turning agian but probably should. Esaier to spread and taken in quickly. Shifts a lot in a couple of hours with the backhoe - much quicker and more effective than a loader. Spread on aftermath in summer.