Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2012 Wheat Yeild.

essexpeasant

Re: 2012 Wheat Yeild.

Quote Originally Posted by iron man View Post
    Just loaded a wheat lorry in the rain hope it will weigh heavier now,not so good for the moisture ! All that came of a 5 ha field of oakley,but even worse my brother sold if forward at 124 ton anyone beat that ! :cry:
    Looking on the bright side , it would have been a whole lot worse if you had sold it for 124 a tonne and your brother had told us all about it.

foxbox

Quote Originally Posted by einstein View Post
    Those bushel weights seem miraculous in a season like this.How on earth have you managed that??
    This is the year to quote bushel weight instead of hectolitre weight, to convert x hectolitre weight by 1.25

einstein

Quote Originally Posted by foxbox View Post
    This is the year to quote bushel weight instead of hectolitre weight, to convert x hectolitre weight by 1.25
    mmmm-bushel weight is not the correct term-although a lot of us use it.I was on autopilot and repeating what the op said.Specific weight is probably a better description.One way to increase specific weight would be to cool the grain.Another way could be to take it to a planet with a bit more gravity!!

sprayspray

mmmm-bushel weight is not the correct term-although a lot of us use it.I was on autopilot and repeating what the op said.Specific weight is probably a better description.One way to increase specific weight would be to cool the grain.Another way could be to take it to a planet with a bit more gravity!!

Thats interesting, how does cooling increase spec wt?

foxbox

I like the gravity idea, however will it also cure a DON test result of 1500?

JCA

Quote Originally Posted by iron man View Post
    Just loaded a wheat lorry in the rain hope it will weigh heavier now,not so good for the moisture ! All that came of a 5 ha field of oakley,but even worse my brother sold if forward at 124 ton anyone beat that ! :cry:
    Speaking to a consultant recently, he told me he has a client who will be loading some wheat this september at 108.

Not his advice btw, but partly why he is now employed by them.

einstein

Quote Originally Posted by sprayspray View Post
    Thats interesting, how does cooling increase spec wt?
    well first i read about it in the farmers guardian-then i googled it and saw that indeed the specific weight of water increases as it cools-so i guess the same would apply to wheat.Just need to figure a way out of refrigerating my store!

rgtd2

Water is different to grain as its a liquid
    I'm sure that I remember this from at school.

possumbility

but when it freezes it expands lowering its specific weight alarmingly.

czechmate

Got me thinking there. Maybe that is why these Essex lads are getting better specific weights. No, not suggesting that Essex is a different planet (or...) but our higher altitude oop North will lesson ours

essexpeasant

One little trick we have in Essex to raise kg/w is to add small pieces of gold to the sample.

Its always worked for me, the millers are so dim they've yet to notice.

scrambler

Quote Originally Posted by essexpeasant View Post
    One little trick we have in Essex to raise kg/w is to add small pieces of gold to the sample.

They don't seem to mind bits of gold. It's lead they have a problem with.

mbsrhol

Quote Originally Posted by essexpeasant View Post

That reminds me of a farmer round here who used to deliver his own potatoes to Golden Wonder and quite often managed to get a few stones in the basket when they measured the specific gravity.

ex_pool_manager_ha

Quote Originally Posted by scrambler View Post
    They don't seem to mind bits of gold. It's lead they have a problem with.
    A few ounces of lead usually does the trick!

honest john

Quote Originally Posted by honest john View Post
    I will start with 2011 wheat yeild. All Gp1
    For 11 tph at 81 kg/hl Sold, matched the combine closely

So far 8.46 tph at 71 kg/hl by the combine meter, not ajusted to this years low weights.

I think i need to reduce that figure by 12.3 % to match last years 81 kg wheat.
    So that gives a yeild of 3 tpa.
    33% less than 2011.

Should i represent mr ave, the Uk wheat yeild would be in the 10.5 to 11 million ton range.
    Having nearly finished now i am going to have to ajust my estimate DOWN to 40% less than 2011 having found 2.25 tpa on ex Potato land.
    To add salt Hags are low as well and will be sold on a min 130 hag. With claims on kg/hl and screening's. Expect Net of stops pre to come to 5 ton.