Thread: All the gear, no idea!!

wurzle_bob

All the gear, no idea!!

We have a 750A but have never DD'd is this a bad year to start??
    We are on mostly Light to medium Sandy Loams, odd heavier patch.

how do you set about trying for the first time?

Cheers

Rob

An Gof

Re: All the gear, no idea!!

Clive

Be brave (and patient) - it's my first year with a 750a as well and i'm glad I have it as would not fanccy or old solo and vaddy system at all this year !!

I have strip till (Claydon) experience so I'm not totally green with this buit really ................how hard can it be (famous last words I guess !)

155tm

That makes three of us at least then.

The 750 has so far sown pedders mix into stubble and chopped straw, the buckwheat in that mix is up already, so we can't have got things that far wrong. In the first field we got the Horsch Sprinter out to compare, any flat wheat or sprayed tramlines dragged up into a bale either with the duett coulters or the solo coulters...:cry: The 750 cut through the flat straw with the minimum of fuss as if it was a non event!

When we cut the wheat standing on the OSR ground, the plan is to use both drills to give a comparison. It currently looks as if the 750 will do the best job!

Willscale

Quote Originally Posted by wurzle_bob View Post
    We have a 750A but have never DD'd is this a bad year to start??
    We are on mostly Light to medium Sandy Loams, odd heavier patch.

how do you set about trying for the first time?

Cheers

Rob
    Not really a bad year to start. This is a good guide to set up

http://www.exapta.com/knowledge/tipdrill.html
    http://www.exapta.com/knowledge/guide_seeding.html

But otherwise if you have good discs and boots and something to close the slot properly your 80% of the way there.

If you do not have good discs and boots I'd be very cautious of doing DD with it in the first year. Seed is too expensive.

shakerator

the problem we will have is gauge wheels blocking and stalling the opener, even when no press wheel pressure.

takes forever to unblock

does this improve with time? i dont know

Willscale

Quote Originally Posted by shakerator View Post
    the problem we will have is gauge wheels blocking and stalling the opener, even when no press wheel pressure.

takes forever to unblock

does this improve with time? i dont know
    I think it you may need more gauge wheel weight? Can you add some weight to the frame and then really ratchet up the downpressure some more?

Or its too wet

shakerator

Quote Originally Posted by Willscale View Post
    I think it you may need more gauge wheel weight? Can you add some weight to the frame and then really ratchet up the downpressure some more?

Or its too wet

will

its too wet.

so you would say plant shallower? but i would argue i always plant as shallow as possible to get consistent seed soil contact and this is often deeper than optimal because no matter how good your residue distribution the thickness always varies.

the question i am asking is does the plugging become more forgiving as soils harden up and then you can crank the pressure up as old roots, channels etc simply stand it.

Willscale

I don't know I've never had plugging. Different soils, evaporation and infiltration rates I guess. Are the press wheel tyres caked in mud? If so then its deffo too wet!

As an aside and no good for this year I know but I do have a solution for you maybe for next year if you felt you were going to stick with the 750 :

http://www.themudsmith.com/index.php...d=12&Itemid=26

(and a bit on youtube)

As the forecast is decentish so I hear maybe four/five days will makes all the difference.

marco

will

its too wet.

so you would say plant shallower? but i would argue i always plant as shallow as possible to get consistent seed soil contact and this is often deeper than optimal because no matter how good your residue distribution the thickness always varies.

the question i am asking is does the plugging become more forgiving as soils harden up and then you can crank the pressure up as old roots, channels etc simply stand it.
    As i've only sown a few hundred acres with my 750 i may be wrong. last year when drilling a damp spot i kept getting one or two guage wheels that kept blocking, turns out they were shimmed slightly differently from the others. ithink they were further out from the disk than others and by taking out a shim to have the wheel nearly touching the disk solved the problem. Simon chilles will be able to asy if i'm right or wrong.

shakerator

Has dwayne beck helped develop this?
    i know he mentions something about a poly wheel in the no till in the mud article. he sent me a great reply to an email but i didnt get a second response- he probably figured us beginners need to figure some stuff out for ourselves.!

marco

i did remove all the shims and it improved things. but it is now wetter than that here- im sure your the same

i do think the firm soil will help a bit tho. and not too worried about after beans as less residue. the molasses/A.S. is doing a cracking job on the higher residue crops (you would nearly guess i baled from the top now).

slighty sidetracking but i do feel retaining straw with some tillage is better for the soil than baling no till if no manures are used. if stripped or can cut through brittle straw succesfully with no slugs then even better.

Willscale

Has dwayne beck helped develop this?
    i know he mentions something about a poly wheel in the no till in the mud article. he sent me a great reply to an email but i didnt get a second response- he probably figured us beginners need to figure some stuff out for ourselves.!

marco

i did remove all the shims and it improved things. but it is now wetter than that here- im sure your the same

i do think the firm soil will help a bit tho. and not too worried about after beans as less residue. the molasses/A.S. is doing a cracking job on the higher residue crops (you would nearly guess i baled from the top now).

slighty sidetracking but i do feel retaining straw with some tillage is better for the soil than baling no till if no manures are used. if stripped or can cut through brittle straw succesfully with no slugs then even better.
    I'd like to see a picture of the field with the molasses/as compared to one without if possible?

155tm

What rate of molasses are people using?

You should have seen Dad's face this morning as he poured black sticky liquid into his sprayer, he was absolutely convinced he would be spending the rest of the afternoon chipping it out of the bottom of the tank......!!!

Luckily for me he came back in the yard with a pleasantly surprised/relieved look on his face!

On the new discs and boots subject Simon Chiles is less concerned about the boot wear, as he doesn't like the boot smearing along the wall of the slot. If you can see seed on the surface it is being blown out of the slot, just slow the fan speed down. We had this problem when we started and dropped the fan speed from 3800 to 2500ish for pedders mix.

Kentish_Andy

Quote Originally Posted by 155tm View Post
    What rate of molasses are people using?

You should have seen Dad's face this morning as he poured black sticky liquid into his sprayer, he was absolutely convinced he would be spending the rest of the afternoon chipping it out of the bottom of the tank......!!!

Luckily for me he came back in the yard with a pleasantly surprised/relieved look on his face!

On the new discs and boots subject Simon Chiles is less concerned about the boot wear, as he doesn't like the boot smearing along the wall of the slot. If you can see seed on the surface it is being blown out of the slot, just slow the fan speed down. We had this problem when we started and dropped the fan speed from 3800 to 2500ish for pedders mix.
    I found 2500 was too low and seed did not come through. We have been on 2800. Agree that less fan helps seed. Also think our 60 series boots do not do as good a job as the 90 series in getting the seed into the slot. I should have paid the money to upgrade. You live and learn!!

s.chiles

If soil is plugging in the gauge wheel then it's really too wet to drill. You'd be better off waiting for drier conditions. If you really must then you could remove the press wheel completely and remove some of the gauge wheel shims so the tyre runs closer to the disc as Marco said. However you should re-shim the disc as soon as you operate in drier conditions as you will take the lip off the tyres if it's too close to the disc. The clearance is meant to be 3mm. Personally I'd wait for drier conditions.

shakerator

Quote Originally Posted by Willscale View Post
    I'd like to see a picture of the field with the molasses/as compared to one without if possible?
    will email them.

do you know how much those wheels are

they seem popular on agtalk.

Willscale

will email them.

do you know how much those wheels are

they seem popular on agtalk.
    No idea on price. The USA aftermarket industry never seems to be that much of a rip off so I'd expect them to be ok. Shipping will double it though.

Maybe get one to try for this year? It would be here in a couple of days probably

p.s. just googled "cost of mudsmith wheel" and this:

http://www.producer.com/2008/12/new-...ding-into-mud/

not so cheap really

shakerator

3500 upgrade!